Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLazland playlist

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 15>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2014 at 15:28
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Steve, not sure if you ever had a chance to check out that Farpoint album.  I am listening to it again this morning and just loving it.  Anyways, it looks like the whole album is out on youtube too in individual bites.  Here is a sample song for you to check out.

Hey, Scott. I have finally had a chance to properly listen to Farpoint on You Tube.

The sampler of Paint It Dark is a very good video the band have put together. I especially enjoyed listening to Part Of Me, and the violin on Stand was especially evocative. For some reason, I could not open Vision Quest, so will try again tomorrow.

The lyrics also seem to be just the type of spiritual journey I am trying my best to reconcile in my own mind. I am beginning to think a lot more about such matters, after a long time in abeyance.

So, thanks for sharing. This is a band who I will be,listening to over the next few days, and will probably try to get the Paint The Dark cd as a starter.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 12:01
Hi Steve, glad that you like what you heard.  In a similar spiritual journey vein, another album on that same 10t label that you might want to check out is Touch The Sky Part 2 from the band Supernal Endgame.  The message is quite religious, but the music and singing are outstanding.  This one is on Progstreaming, so you should be able to check it out to see if it fits your tastes.  http://www.progstreaming.com/_wb/pages/play-album.php?activeAlbum=00921%20-%20Supernal%20Endgame%20-%20Touch%20The%20Sky,%20Volume%20II

Also, I just read the below article, and suspect that the both of us might be setting aside some funds to make this purchase next February.

http://prog.teamrock.com/news/2014-12-04/john-mitchell-confirms-lonely-robot-debut
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 12:58
Hi Steve, the story about your father in law is sad, and indeed a common issue in many households. My father and his wife went though something similar. My father worked hard all his life and had the bad luck that his love (my mother) died far too early. After many years alone he finally met the right woman and married again (my stepmother) at the age of around 58. After some years they could finally retire in pension and start enjoying their new life as a couple with some free time, but just then my stepmother's mother started to get sick (her husband had already passed away a few years earlier) and had to move into my father's place. She (my stepmother's mother, I will refer to her as Rosa to make it easy) needed a lot of constant care, but she would not accept being taken to a nurse home, she had to stay by her daughter. For my father this was extremely difficult, he surely loved her but she was not his mother so it's never the same. My father's wife had also a very hard time, she did not dare putting her mother to some care home against her will (even if they could more or less afford it), but on the other hand she was also wasting the years she could still enjoy with my father, and she could feel how sad my father was that they were missing their opportunity to still enjoy a few years together in good health.

They proposed to Rosa that she stay home by them but they hire a care assistant during the day hours, so at least my father and his wife could go a bit out and enjoy life a bit, but Rosa would not accept even that, she demanded that her own daughter (my stepmother) had to take care of her.

My stepmother didn't dare to ignore her mother's will and my father didn't dare to impose anything upon my stepmother and her mother Rosa, so Rosa stayed by them and they remained taking care of her, day and night, for around 15 years.

So all in all, because of the stubbornness of Rosa my father and his wife lost the opportunity to enjoy their years of early retirement when they still had good health and could still do quite a lot. By the time Rosa passed away they were in their 80's and their own health and willingness to do things, travel etc had radically diminished.

I find that terrible and very selfish from Rosa, ruining the happiness of her own daughter in the few years she could have enjoyed it (my stepmother had never been married before, my father was her first husband and she loves him a lot). I hope that we people as we get older and start needing assistance, that we are generous enough, not selfish, and not steal the lives of our children for our own pleasure.

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 13:03
Back to music, I need to check Progstreaming more, really a great idea to discover new stuff.

Lately I have been a bit into morow.com, an internet Prog radio which plays assorted stuff (songs, not full albums, more of a random Prog songs radio mixing stuff from all times, from classics to new stuff and in between), and it's also cool, you hear beloved classics but also get to know other stuff which you had never listened to.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 14:52
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Hi Steve, glad that you like what you heard.  In a similar spiritual journey vein, another album on that same 10t label that you might want to check out is Touch The Sky Part 2 from the band Supernal Endgame.  The message is quite religious, but the music and singing are outstanding.  This one is on Progstreaming, so you should be able to check it out to see if it fits your tastes.  http://www.progstreaming.com/_wb/pages/play-album.php?activeAlbum=00921%20-%20Supernal%20Endgame%20-%20Touch%20The%20Sky,%20Volume%20II

Also, I just read the below article, and suspect that the both of us might be setting aside some funds to make this purchase next February.

http://prog.teamrock.com/news/2014-12-04/john-mitchell-confirms-lonely-robot-debut

Cheers Scott. I actually listened to the Supernal Endgame album last month on Progstreaming whilst travelling to a visit on the train. I really rather enjoyed it. It has been added to the albums to buy when I can.

The John Mitchell album is a must buy to me.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 14:58
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Hi Steve, the story about your father in law is sad, and indeed a common issue in many households. My father and his wife went though something similar. My father worked hard all his life and had the bad luck that his love (my mother) died far too early. After many years alone he finally met the right woman and married again (my stepmother) at the age of around 58. After some years they could finally retire in pension and start enjoying their new life as a couple with some free time, but just then my stepmother's mother started to get sick (her husband had already passed away a few years earlier) and had to move into my father's place. She (my stepmother's mother, I will refer to her as Rosa to make it easy) needed a lot of constant care, but she would not accept being taken to a nurse home, she had to stay by her daughter. For my father this was extremely difficult, he surely loved her but she was not his mother so it's never the same. My father's wife had also a very hard time, she did not dare putting her mother to some care home against her will (even if they could more or less afford it), but on the other hand she was also wasting the years she could still enjoy with my father, and she could feel how sad my father was that they were missing their opportunity to still enjoy a few years together in good health.

They proposed to Rosa that she stay home by them but they hire a care assistant during the day hours, so at least my father and his wife could go a bit out and enjoy life a bit, but Rosa would not accept even that, she demanded that her own daughter (my stepmother) had to take care of her.

My stepmother didn't dare to ignore her mother's will and my father didn't dare to impose anything upon my stepmother and her mother Rosa, so Rosa stayed by them and they remained taking care of her, day and night, for around 15 years.

So all in all, because of the stubbornness of Rosa my father and his wife lost the opportunity to enjoy their years of early retirement when they still had good health and could still do quite a lot. By the time Rosa passed away they were in their 80's and their own health and willingness to do things, travel etc had radically diminished.

I find that terrible and very selfish from Rosa, ruining the happiness of her own daughter in the few years she could have enjoyed it (my stepmother had never been married before, my father was her first husband and she loves him a lot). I hope that we people as we get older and start needing assistance, that we are generous enough, not selfish, and not steal the lives of our children for our own pleasure.

Thanks for sharing this, Gerard.

I share the sentiments you express. I am determined that my gorgeous son, now 13, will not have to look after us when we are older.

I have made a number of life style changes this year. I am not smoking, I am exercising properly at the gym, and have cut down alcohol intake by a half. I want to stay fit for as long as I can and not be a burden.

By this, I do not mean that I resent looking after my in laws. I love them dearly, and they have been good to us. Plus my own mother, who is now frail is, well, my mum.

It is, though, very hard work, with little, or no, support from the authorities. Living longer can be both a blessing and a curse.

What a shocking statement to make...........
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 15:03
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Back to music, I need to check Progstreaming more, really a great idea to discover new stuff.

Lately I have been a bit into morow.com, an internet Prog radio which plays assorted stuff (songs, not full albums, more of a random Prog songs radio mixing stuff from all times, from classics to new stuff and in between), and it's also cool, you hear beloved classics but also get to know other stuff which you had never listened to.

Morow.com added to bookmarks on the iPad, and will be listened to during fish & chips tomorrow lunchtime

Edited by lazland - December 04 2014 at 15:03
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 15:15
On a Lazland music cheerful note, given that this thread has been reborn, so to speak, I posted my review of the Corvus Stone II album this afternoon whilst on a return train journey from a tax court case I am involved in.

As I indicated in my review, I found the whole business of overly and ridiculously supportive, and manipulative, reviews a total pain, and said so in another thread.

Colin Tench contacted me, and his decency persuaded me to accept the offer of doing a review.

I am glad I did. It is a great listen, and thoroughly deserves our attention and support.

I tell you what, though. What struck me more than anything was Colin's decency and honesty.

He hated the manipulative reviews more than us old PA sweats, and took positive steps to eradicate them. He wanted honest reviews, and, looking at collab reviews, I think he got them.

He sent me a lovely PM tonight, which I really appreciated.

There is a lesson in all this. The community we have here is, largely, a positive, loving one. Our opinions are valued and respected when we express them honestly, which is the way it should be.

Colin and his cohorts have produced a labour of love. I sincerely hope that the honest supportive reviews they got will help them at least fund a superb follow-up.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 15:58
^ Great review at last, I was tired of reading all those forced 5 star reviews. I still haven't heard it though.
I really appreciate the Prog community, how artists and listeners collaborate to make sure their art reaches others who appreciate it. And a very nice cover indeed, Sonia did a great job Clap
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 16:14
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^ Great review at last, I was tired of reading all those forced 5 star reviews. I still haven't heard it though.
I
really appreciate the Prog community, how artists and listeners
collaborate to make sure their art reaches others who appreciate it. And a very nice cover indeed, Sonia did a great job Clap

Cheers Samuel, I appreciate that.

PA, and other sites such as Progressive Ears, are important communities. It was people like us who kept the flame alive during the dark days, and we play a huge part now in bringing great new music to the attention of the wider potential customer base.

Try the CVII cd. You will really enjoy it.

Sonia is quite gorgeous and gorgeously talented. People like her make this a fun place to keep coming back to
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 16:28
I never went to other Prog sites, never found a reason to Tongue

I'll try it tomorrow on their Bandcamp page.

True, lots of nice people here Smile
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 21:40
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

On a Lazland music cheerful note, given that this thread has been reborn, so to speak, I posted my review of the Corvus Stone II album this afternoon whilst on a return train journey from a tax court case I am involved in.

As I indicated in my review, I found the whole business of overly and ridiculously supportive, and manipulative, reviews a total pain, and said so in another thread.

Colin Tench contacted me, and his decency persuaded me to accept the offer of doing a review.

I am glad I did. It is a great listen, and thoroughly deserves our attention and support.

I tell you what, though. What struck me more than anything was Colin's decency and honesty.

He hated the manipulative reviews more than us old PA sweats, and took positive steps to eradicate them. He wanted honest reviews, and, looking at collab reviews, I think he got them.

There is a lesson in all this. The community we have here is, largely, a positive, loving one. Our opinions are valued and respected when we express them honestly, which is the way it should be.

Colin and his cohorts have produced a labour of love. I sincerely hope that the honest supportive reviews they got will help them at least fund a superb follow-up.

Awww Lazland! HugWow! I admire and love you too much! I read your review, 4 stars however what you wrote is even better, it's priceless and worth much more than most 5 star reviews, really! The things you wrote are so insightful and clever with a touch of humour (so funny)  I am typing this while listening to

Mostly Autumn - Dressed in Voices and feel the love, I want to hug you to death! Huge massive hug to you!

P.S. I am so flattered and happy you like the album artwork too. Big hug to you, Hug thank you so much!!!! mhwoaaahhxxxxxx 

Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 21:42

I
really appreciate the Prog community, how artists and listeners
collaborate to make sure their art reaches others who appreciate it. And a very nice cover indeed, Sonia did a great job Clap

Cheers Samuel, I appreciate that.

PA, and other sites such as Progressive Ears, are important communities. It was people like us who kept the flame alive during the dark days, and we play a huge part now in bringing great new music to the attention of the wider potential customer base.

Try the CVII cd. You will really enjoy it.

Sonia is quite gorgeous and gorgeously talented. People like her make this a fun place to keep coming back to

Awwwww Embarrassedawwwww thank you and thank you more Hug group hug xxxxx
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 21:50
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

[QUOTE=lazland] [QUOTE=Meltdowner]
Awwwww Embarrassedawwwww thank you and thank you more Hug group hug xxxxx
Meltdowner, you too are here above included in the a massive group hug, Hugthank you very much!

Edited by Kati - December 04 2014 at 21:51
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2014 at 16:00
I think I have mentioned before that Saturday night is "get that bloody ironing done" night. I rather enjoy this, as it gives me an excuse to blast some stuff out on the decent sound system in the dining room whilst running said hot block over fabric.

Anyhow, tonight, the musical delights were Pendragon's latest, and then the DVD of Sylvan's Posthumpus Silence live.

I have been a fan of Nick Barrett's material since he first started the band. I suppose you could say I have grown up with it. We are of a similar age. I find his ruminations on life, society, and self extremely moving.

But Sylvan. I think I have stated in another thread that I have been, in recent weeks, rather down, a kind of mid-life crisis, for want of a better phrase. Pretty down, introspective, and thinking some rather dark thoughts. I believe that I am getting well and truly through this, and feel far more like my usual self, which is usually "glass half full", rather than "half empty".

What has this to do with Sylvan? Well, I will tell you. The subject matter is somewhat impossibly sad. Imagine, as a parent, coming across your child's diary, and reviewing its contents, knowing the incredibly bitter ending. Said child has committed suicide.

Sylvan manage to achieve an incredible feat. The album, whilst naturally not a barrel of laughs, does, nevertheless, include many moments of sheer and utter beauty. Yes, some incredibly uplifting moments of beauty as well. In fact, I would go so far as to describe it as, in essence, a celebration of life itself.

I am getting far better. Even two weeks ago, I would not have been able to write this post, or even listen to such an album. We all, I think, have such episodes in our life. Mine was triggered by the sad loss of dear friends, far too damned young. However, I know they are "up there", having a couple of beers, and chuckling at life's madness. In Nashy's case, he is, I know, cursing me for listening to Tull's Broadsword And The Beast as I type this, headphones in place as the wife is watching the jungle programme. Nashy will be saying......"sh*te, mate. Get some decent Tull on, if you really must listen to a bunch of hippies. Now that Aqualung..... There's an album!"
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2014 at 16:08
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3">

<p ="Msonormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"><span lang="EN" style='color: black; line-height: 115%; font-family: "Arial","sans-serif"; font-size: 10pt; mso-ansi-: EN;'>Awww Lazland! HugWow!
I admire and love you too much! I read your review, 4 stars however what you wrote is
even better, it's priceless and worth much more than most 5 star reviews, really! The things you
wrote are so insightful and clever with a touch of humour (so funny)<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;">  </span>I am typing this while listening to </span>

<span ="watch-title"><p ="Msonormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"> 

<span lang="EN" style='color: rgb34, 34, 34; line-height: 115%; font-family: "Arial","sans-serif"; font-size: 10pt; mso-ansi-: EN; mso-font-kerning: 18.0pt;'><p ="Msonormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;">Mostly Autumn - Dressed in Voices and feel the love, I
want to hug you to death! Huge massive hug to you!

</span></span><span ="watch-title"><p ="Msonormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;">P.S. I am so flattered and happy you like the album artwork too. Big hug to you, Hug thank you so much!!!! mhwoaaahhxxxxxx 

<span lang="EN" style='color: rgb34, 34, 34; line-height: 115%; font-family: "Arial","sans-serif"; font-size: 14.5pt; mso-ansi-: EN; mso-font-kerning: 18.0pt;'><p ="Msonormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"> 

</span><p ="Msonormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"> 

</span><p ="Msonormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"><span style='line-height: 115%; font-family: "Arial","sans-serif"; font-size: 10pt;'><o:p></o:p></span> 

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3">

I'm glad you are enjoying the MA album, Sonia. It really is full of love, and, as with the Sylvan album I refer to above, an incredibly talented thing to do - to turn such a tragic story into something that moves and brings you closer to the essence of life itself.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 10:54

I really appreciate the Prog community, how artists and listeners collaborate to make sure their art reaches others who appreciate it. And a very nice cover indeed, Sonia did a great job Clap
Meltdowner, thank you so much for the compliment, however in terms of you being fed up seeing 5 star ratings, some of these ratings were scored by P.A. Collaborators, surely you value their opinion too?. Hug
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 14:36
I found a lot of those over enthusiastic and too much long and descriptive (I don't want to know exactly everything that I'll listen or getting my hopes too high), Lazland's review has none of those attributes.
Anyway, thanks for reminding me of the album, I forgot to check it Tongue
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 21:59

I found a lot of those over enthusiastic and too much long and descriptive (I don't want to know exactly everything that I'll listen or getting my hopes too high), Lazland's review has none of those attributes.
Anyway, thanks for reminding me of the album, I forgot to check it Tongue

You are right Meltdowner, 5 star reviews also can have the adverse effect to the potential listener, getting ones expectations so high whereby at times this is not matched. A 4 star rating on-the-other hand is an outstanding and humble score Wink big hug to you Hug
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 17:05
This entry in my blog actually pertains to yesterday. Unfortunately, too much beer and wine made posting it last night far too difficult, so.....I have posted it tonight instead.

I purchased the Marillion App for my iPad. A bargain at 69 pence, and it will enable me to listen to a live stream of Monday night's gig in Germany. There is a radio station on the app, and I listened to three tracks, these being:

Dee Expus. King of Number 33. I really enjoyed this, and simply must get some of their stuff.
Holloway Girl (demo). Great early h track, demo version.
Iris. Crossing The Desert. Featuring Messrs Trewavas & Moseley, plus Sylvain Gouvernaire, whom I have never heard of. But he sure played a mean Rothery guitar! I say played, because as far as I can tell, nobody has heard of him since. Damned good stuff. Anyone know what he does now?

I then decided to play some sixties vintage. The wife has bought me a new compilation album, Silence Is Golden, bless her, and there is some fine stuff on it. I played:

Procol Harum. Whiter Shade of Pale
Fleetwood Mac. Black Magic Woman
The Zombies. She's Not There
Melanie. Ruby Tuesday. By far the best version of this, we both love Melanie.
Scott McKenzie. San Francisco..........flowers......mmmmmmmmmm.

Then, a break for supper, a damned fine homemade Chinese meal, and, on my return, whilst the boss watched that X Factor thingy, I repaired to the dining room to watch:

Marillion. Ding Dong Loreley........a superb live record, even if Pete's bass was more distorted at times than a Picasso face!

All in all, a mighty fine evening.

Nos da to all.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 15>