Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAtomic rooster

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2014 at 00:21
I've been listening to some of their songs on youtube lately. The only album I own is the Live BBC(on cd).
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2014 at 05:09
The US versions are the ones with Cann. Sly sounds better with Canns guitar but I prefer Friday and Better UK versions. Some kick ass songs on the first 3 albums. Some very melodic stuff with great sounding Hammond and strong vocals.
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2014 at 05:13
Decline And Fall - love this one more than ELP 's Tank. Go Carl !!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2014 at 14:29
Carl Palmer never wanted to leave Atomic Rooster but Greg Lake managed to appeal to him where it meant most - his bank balance! (Just joking Carl Wink
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2014 at 21:58
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Carl Palmer never wanted to leave Atomic Rooster but Greg Lake managed to appeal to him where it meant most - his bank balance! (Just joking Carl Wink

Should have stayed. ELP were cheese by 1974. Although Hammond was a great drummer too but he left after 2 years.
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Kirillov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2014 at 01:08
Death Walks Behind You is a fine album, especially the instrumentals. Great cover too.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2014 at 07:15
I have the first 3 albums on cd now. All 3 are cool. I still think the 3rd would have been better with Cann on vocals. A bit like oblivion express second wind where I reckon both albums would have been better with the existing singer from the previous albums.
ebil0505 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2014 at 22:31
I was always impressed with the way Vincent Crane was able to take a catchy tune to the next level. The best examples are Breakthrough and Nobody Else, among others.

I like their music quite a bit. Accessible and catchy yet proggy all the same.
"I like to think oysters transcend national barriers." - Roger Waters
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2014 at 04:35
Made in England arrived. Some cool moments so far
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2014 at 04:39
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Made in England arrived. Some cool moments so far

At first I didn't care for this album but man do I love it right now. It seems the band have improved their act and they sound tighter, there's some extra drive to those songs.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2014 at 04:59
I'm not a fan of Chris Farlowe, however, his singing fits Crane's musical concoctions perfectly.
........Blue-eyed soul, hard rock sound, progressive arrangements and tight performance qualifies for a real adventure for many listeners......
Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2014 at 07:19
Originally posted by ebil0505 ebil0505 wrote:

I was always impressed with the way Vincent Crane was able to take a catchy tune to the next level. The best examples are Breakthrough and Nobody Else, among others.

I like their music quite a bit. Accessible and catchy yet proggy all the same.

Excellent post! I think you got the essence of Rooster's appeal right there.
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2014 at 10:23
Originally posted by ebil0505 ebil0505 wrote:

"7 Streets" is another good one. It was an okay song when Du Cann played it with his time in Andromeda, but greatly improved when recorded for Death Walks Behind You.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2014 at 21:23
Listening to England again now. I like his voice. Compositions are a bit more straight forward than previous albums but it's still good stuff. Up to track 7 now. Mainly good tracks. Not crazy about second track much. Introduction/Breathless was the highlight from what I remember on first listen. The first album is my fave with the US version of SLY replacing the album version

Edited by dr prog - June 06 2014 at 21:32
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2014 at 02:33
I've recently spun Roooster S/T a couple of times and I'm still amazed at its content. Palmers drums are produced perfectly, such a great sound for the time. Nick Graham's bass playing is so free and natural (very blues and jazz oriented) and Crane is just a ball of absolute fire on his Hammond, utilising amazing tonal qualities and technique. I plain adore this album. The lyrics are very sinister when perceived from certain angles though (they're mostly quite negative - thanks Vincent).
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2014 at 05:40
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I've recently spun Roooster S/T a couple of times and I'm still amazed at its content. Palmers drums are produced perfectly, such a great sound for the time. Nick Graham's bass playing is so free and natural (very blues and jazz oriented) and Crane is just a ball of absolute fire on his Hammond, utilising amazing tonal qualities and technique. I plain adore this album. The lyrics are very sinister when perceived from certain angles though (they're mostly quite negative - thanks Vincent).

First album is great
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2014 at 05:50
Hey Dr. !!
      If you enjoy the Rooster debut, please, PLEASE get the 1968 album of The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown. This is easily as good. Crane is mind-blowing. Such a colourful album, bursting with creativity and invention. It really is hard to pick between the two.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2014 at 16:54
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

One of my friends told me that Palmer was afraid to originally  play with Lake and Emerson.....he didn't think he was good enough.
Shocked
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2014 at 21:16
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Hey Dr. !!
      If you enjoy the Rooster debut, please, PLEASE get the 1968 album of The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown. This is easily as good. Crane is mind-blowing. Such a colourful album, bursting with creativity and invention. It really is hard to pick between the two.

Might check it out
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2014 at 13:44
I should get around to listening to AR more too, now that I'm on a huge Budgie kick and should get around to the other concrete-rock group with an avian appelation.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>