Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDark Side of the Moon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2014 at 12:33
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

Ummagumma syncs up perfectly with Backdoor Sluts #47
Alas, Ummagumma is an album that I could never get into. But thanks anyway.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2014 at 13:43
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

One thing though, and this is a thing that irks me a bit. The 2003 5.1 SACD Remaster edition I currently have (I'm not expecting to own this by the end of the year. That would mean owning a copy for more than 10 years!) use a blue/purple colour on the front cover where there normally is all black. It is rather beautifully done, but it changes the way I look at it. I prefer not to look at it while I spin it tbh.
I know what you mean - it's probably a very nice piece of stained glass and no doubt that in real life it's a very wonderful thing to behold, but reproduced as a 120mm CD cover it's ... meh. Worse than that, it's not George Hardie's elegantly simple graphic, as are none of the other re-imaginings of the prism artwork that have appeared since. 
My heart sank when I first picked up the 40th anniversary 180gm vinyl because it has a dreary pointillism version of the graphic on the front:

Fortunately it's not the cover, it's loose under the shrink wrap and removing it reveals the original cover in all its glory. For reasons known only to EMI they printed it as a sticker, quite what you're supposed to stick it on is beyond me.
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Oh and I only have a stereo set-up, so I can't enjoy the 5.1 mix. Am I missing something? It sounds absolutely stunning coming out of my old school Dali speakers, which are made of granite if I'm not entirely mistaken. Damn those things are heavy.
I have the 30th anniversary 5.1 mix as well and not owning a surround sound system (and never wanted to own one) I've never heard it either.
I love Pink Floyd to bits but there are only so many times you can milk this fatted cow no matter how much you change the packaging. (Are you listening Mr Oldfield?). I did buy the Experience edition when it came out because the bonus disc featured a 1974 live recording from Wembley but without that the cash would have stayed in my wallet.
One "version" I do enjoy is the Tom Stoppard radio play Darkside as it couples my favourite album with a subject that has become my pet hate: philosophy. Here I like that it doesn't borrow from the original artwork.
Back to topic
Has anyone tried syncing any of the DSotM tribute albums to the Wiz of Oz? Apparently Dubside of the Moon works really well.

That vinyl version looks pretty good actually...and I like it for having such an easy way of getting back to the original cover; ie removing it:-P
I'm not sure I'll ever get surround sound - I've honesty never thought about it, because I always had good sound from my racks. The current one is bloody fantastic, and to think I bought it for 2500 kr. Sure it was built in 1991, but he paid over 30000 for it, and he and the missus struck me as someone who didn't crank up their Denon while throwing wild parties.
I do enjoy watching movies with surround sound though. A couple of my friends have those nifty home theatres, and that alone could possibly warrant a closer inspection at some future point.

Oh and I really dig that plane engine cover! If artists are going to borrow from the original imagery, then they should so marginally and only inspirational I feel. I have seen so many bad ones over time.

Dub Side of the Moon is a recent purchase of mine, and I haven't spun it more than once, and that was after a couple (more than 8) beers.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2014 at 13:59
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

I've seen it once years ago (but your link is broken). Personally I haven't found anything special.

i think i can help you with that:

http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/  (probably just for today, though)

and yes, i've already heard about this Wizard of Oz stuff, and im probably not going along with this. also, the album itself made the peak told here because of the Pop Catalog Albums chart which has been around since 1991; it has been on that chart ever since that year actually. it reached #47 on the Billboard 200 in 2011 when the remastered version was released too.

Edited by Michael678 - June 28 2014 at 13:59
Progrockdude
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2014 at 18:52
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

Ummagumma syncs up perfectly with Backdoor Sluts #47

Specially on Narrow Way LOL
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2014 at 02:36

There is a first time for everything and everything is new to somebody once.

I've never been convinced by the Oz theory - there are a couple of moments of synchronicity but that's purely co-incidence and could happen with practically any album and any piece of film if you time it right.

My first experience of Dark Side of the Moon was watching Floyd play it at the Wembley Empire Pool in October 1972 with my girlfriend Susan and my best mate Mike.

On the day the album was released I rushed to the local record store just as it opened for the morning, the owner hadn't un-boxed the day's deliveries yet but on noticing my impatience allowed me to unpack boxes to get my paws on the record for the first time. I handed over my £2.50 and left the shop a very happy boy.

Everything about the album blew me away, the music, the songs, the concept, the sound effects, the playing, the cover, the posters, the stickers... from removing cellophane wrapper (carefully keeping the circular sticker intact) to the last heart-beat ... everything. It also brought me to the realisation that our family "music centre" wasn't good enough to fully appreciate the sonic marvels of this recording and set me off building a hi-fi of my own to play it on.

I even got my mum to knit me a DSotM woollen jacket:

Forty one years later the album is still fresh and vibrant to me, last week I bought the 40th anniversary re-issue of the vinyl and the buzz of removing the cellophane from that to access the disc, posters and stickers invoked a wave of nostalgia that I hadn't experienced before - memories of the concert in London, of the little record store in Bedford and of me convincing my mum that she could make the jacket without a pattern. I haven't actually played it yet - I'm waiting to complete the re-build of my 1973 turntable that I started a few months back so I can re-live the experience all over again.
Cool jacket!
Those posters hung on our bedroom walls for years, the stickers remained in the sleeve in order to keep them undamaged. I don't know if our original DSOTM copy still stays at some of my brother / sisters' homes (along the years many of our albums got lost by taking them to other homes in parties, lending them without enough control etc Cry), but if it does I'd bet the posters and stickers are still inside it.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2014 at 13:53
hehe, soooooooo...... guess what i found out today:

go down the page until THAT shows up.

Edited by Michael678 - June 29 2014 at 13:54
Progrockdude
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2014 at 16:02
Originally posted by Michael678 Michael678 wrote:

Spooky... it's #89 in the UK charts too... and it's spent 666 weeks on the UK chart... 
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2014 at 13:47

Spooky... it's #89 in the UK charts too... and it's spent 666 weeks on the UK chart... 

and idk how long it has been on the US charts (omg almighty xD)
Progrockdude
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2014 at 22:55
Love the album...like the movie...tried the sync thing once and my family thought I was looney.
Turned the movie off and continued with the album alone.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2014 at 06:20
I tried the wiz of OZ sync using some so called internet guide. Some things synced right others didnt, then I re synced the film and it still didnt go colour just as Money opens. 

Bought Wiz of Oz special edition on blu ray this week for the kids... I wonder if it syncs better with the album, In any case it gives me another excuse to hear the album again.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 11:30
Hi,

Nahhh ... I would rather go listen to "The Dark Side of the Goons"
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
ebil0505 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2014 at 18:37
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I gave up drugs when the doctor told me I had six months to live........

I took up drugs when my doctor suggested I should try and have more fun...

"I like to think oysters transcend national barriers." - Roger Waters
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 12:51

and idk how long it has been on the US charts (omg almighty xD)

looks like its back in the top 100 for now!!

but this time, it ain't alone:

Edited by Michael678 - July 23 2014 at 12:55
Progrockdude
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 12:56
Stubborn little album, isn't it?

On a related note, has anyone synched up "Atom Heart Mother" or "Echoes" with the Jupiter And Beyond The Infinite sequence in 2001: A Space Odyssey?
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 16:04
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

Has anyone ever noticed that no matter what time you start the album DSOTM, it will end approximately 43 minutes later.  Bizarre.  Shocked
LOL
I missed that the first time around.

I rarely play Floyd these days. DSOTM has been played to death and it just doesn't excite me anymore when I listen to it. Maybe if I ever come down with memory loss as I age it will seem new and fresh then.
Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 16:07
^Yes the Doctor has quite a wit and would be a natural (good) song writer! And you are pretty sharp yourself Dr. Wu.

Edited by SteveG - July 23 2014 at 16:09
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 20:01
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^Yes the Doctor has quite a wit and would be a natural (good) song writer! And you are pretty sharp yourself Dr. Wu.
Well....thanks for saying that and your check is in the mail.  Wink

This is off topic but you brought up song writing and I find it a bit odd that so many on the song lyric thread seem not to be interested in lyrics yet so many here seem to pride themselves in their witty remarks and over all intellectual prowess in music threads as well as off topic subjects. You'd think they would care about the words in the songs as well. At any rate it seems  strange to me.
Confused
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 20:19
^ Well, that kind of pride doesn't make for a good presence in lyrics, so, ... there.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - July 23 2014 at 20:20
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 20:21
no one cares about my lyrics in that thread Cry
What?
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 20:29
Being a huge Floyd fan (mainly the 'middle period' albums), I love Dark Side of the Moon. It doesn't matter when or where I play it, I still get excited about the music. A timeless classic.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>