FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Floyd album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 04:34
I think, Mr Else, we were just referring to lead vocals from David (and/or Roger, but I doubt he's involved in this). Yes it has been confirmed Durga is singing on one.

But I'll ask you and anyone else...would you WANT to hear a mostly instrumental Pink Floyd album? I certainly don't, as nice as the playing would be. But Dave's voice is still in great shape, with his tone and character intact...I just think (excluding Gilmour's guitar sound) that an instrumental album would sound a lot more...anonymous?
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 04:52
^ all speculative at best.....Gilmour's voice is well one of his finest instruments. Let's see what happens eh?

Ref Dean's post, would love to see Manzanera on an album as well as John Carin, Guy Pratt - Rick's son in law.....hmmm could pose a tricky scenario there already ref Mr. WatersTongue

Edited by Chris S - July 07 2014 at 04:57
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 05:15
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

I think, Mr Else, we were just referring to lead vocals from David (and/or Roger, but I doubt he's involved in this). Yes it has been confirmed Durga is singing on one.

But I'll ask you and anyone else...would you WANT to hear a mostly instrumental Pink Floyd album? I certainly don't, as nice as the playing would be. But Dave's voice is still in great shape, with his tone and character intact...I just think (excluding Gilmour's guitar sound) that an instrumental album would sound a lot more...anonymous?

Well, I fully agree that David's voice is not affected by age (btw, Roger is another story). I have no objections against an entirely instrumental album, but some songs with David on lead vocals, and even one or two with Roger singing, would give the album a nice signature.

Edited by someone_else - July 07 2014 at 05:16
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 05:41
Since this new album will be based on The Division Bell there's zero chance Roger will participate. He absolutely detests Bell. LOL

AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 06:46
This is fantastic news. I hope Gilmour sings and belts put his customary lead guitar brilliance.

Nice to hear new Floyd after all these years. This promises to be the album release of the year.

HIGH Hopes for this one!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 07:02
Guy Pratt would surely fill the Bass spot. Able is he, but not as magical as Rog........(and I'm not even a Rog obsessive.....)
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 07:14
If it's got backing vocals then it's most likely going to have fronting vocals of some kind as Gilmour does seem to enjoy singing so it's hard to imagine that he won't. Non-singing instrumentals tend to be either short or experimental. Experimental would be interesting but I can't see it happening. One of the speculative news reports said something about back to basics - when you're Pink Floyd that can mean so many things.
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 07:29
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

If it's got backing vocals then it's most likely going to have fronting vocals of some kind as Gilmour does seem to enjoy singing so it's hard to imagine that he won't. Non-singing instrumentals tend to be either short or experimental. Experimental would be interesting but I can't see it happening. One of the speculative news reports said something about back to basics - when you're Pink Floyd that can mean so many things.

Yah I would not be impressed with an instrumental PF album. I recall the awful instrumental VDGG album... that was a disaster.

mind you instrumental albums can be great its just that PF would  not be the same without vocals.. "More" is not a good xample of PF

We dont need no orchestration....  we dont need no voice omissions... no dark instrumentals in the studio... People leave Old Pink alone...
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 07:36
Confused The soundtrack to the film More is not an instrumental album - yes it has six instrumental tracks (as would many soundtrack albums) it contains three of my favourite Floyd sing-a-long songs - who hasn't belted out The Nile Song during a drunken moment....? ... or is it just me who does that? Embarrassed 
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 07:51
^^ I knew someone would bite with that dig at MoreLOL

Yes it just you... altogether now...

I was standing by the Nile
Whe I saw the lady smile.
I would take her out for a while,
For a while. 
Light tears wept like a child.
How her golden hair was blowing wild.
Then she spread her wings to fly,
For to fly. 
streetlight_alex View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 07:57
What I'm asking myself is who's gonna do the artworks ? Since Thorgerson past away last year...
Pink Floyd's cover art are legendary, they'll have to make something great for this one too
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 08:00
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

This provides a bit more info, got this (kill me now) from the Rolling Stone webpage (Hey, it was the first link that came up! ):

Durga McBroom-Hudson, a singer who toured with Pink Floyd in the 1980s and 1990s and is apparently involved in the new project, offered more details on `The Endless River' through her Facebook page. "The recording did start during The Division Bell sessions (and yes, it was the side project originally titled 'The Big Spliff' that Nick Mason spoke about)," she explained. "Which is why there are Richard Wright tracks on it. But David and Nick have gone in and done a lot more since then. It was originally to be a completely instrumental recording, but I came in last December and sang on a few tracks. David then expanded on my backing vocals and has done a lead on at least one of them. That's the song you see being worked on in the photo." She went on to emphasize that the new album will consist entirely of unreleased songs.

Hopefuly, although I really wouldn't want to hear a purely instrumental Floyd album (as much as I love instrumental discs).....but damn `The Endless River' is a slightly cliched and unoriginal title.

Ah I kinda agree with The Endless River being a strange title but what I love about it is its the last sentiments on High Hopes lyrics- the last original PF song on the last album....
so it makes sense to use the line as the nexst album title

The grass was greener
The light was brighter
The taste was sweeter
The nights of wonder
With friends surrounded
The dawn mist glowing
The water flowing
The endless river
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 08:02
Originally posted by streetlight_alex streetlight_alex wrote:

What I'm asking myself is who's gonna do the artworks ? Since Thorgerson past away last year...
Pink Floyd's cover art are legendary, they'll have to make something great for this one too

yeah good call there

I would hope its some other legendary artist. Sad that Thorgerson just missed out on this new project...Unhappy
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 08:04

Related topic: I must've been living in a cave, because I never knew about the existence of the "barn jams" till now. Listening now on Youtube. Wow.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 08:09
Roj says bring back Rog.

I'd love a mainly instrumental album actually, especially if it's in the vein of the intro music off the Division Bell tour.  I've even seen mentions of similarities to the Orb/Gilmour album Metallic Spheres........

Oh, and lay off More Wink.  That's an absolute classic album, love it.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 08:11
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

yeah good call there

I would hope its some other legendary artist. Sad that Thorgerson just missed out on this new project...Unhappy
Storm was more an instigator and facilitator rather than an artist and much of the artwork on Hipgnosis' covers was created by other people (George Hardie being the most notable from a Floyd perspective). His input undoubtedly be will be missed even if some of his later output seemed to lean to heavily on his past successes - The Cranberries Bury The Hatchet cover for example looked like something snaffled off the Division Bell reject pile.
What?
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 08:12

yeah good call there

Maybe he didn't miss out. I wouldn't be surprised if he was in on the whole thing and managed to finish something.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 08:19
Originally posted by silverpot silverpot wrote:

yeah good call there

Maybe he didn't miss out. I wouldn't be surprised if he was in on the whole thing and managed to finish something.

Well that would be nice in a perfect world. High Hopes for this album!Star
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 09:10
`More' - my absolute favourite Floyd album, such a fragile, shimmering acid-friend pscyh beauty! Second Roj's love for it!

Good pick-up Scott with the final line of `High Hopes' being the new album title!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 09:14
Meet the new Floyd. Same as the old Floyd. (I was only dreaming.)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>