Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGuitar Centric Prog Rock?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Guitar Centric Prog Rock?
    Posted: July 16 2014 at 12:36
Hi All,

As one who has played guitar and composed for many years now, I'm always interested in seeing how to create "prog rock" material with little to no keyboards. For about 20 years, I have trying to figure  out how to arrange ELP's  KarnEvil IX, Imp I, Pt I for guitar/bass/drums  (to no avail so far unfortunately).

As this forum has a lot of people who seem truly interested in music, I'd like your opinions on what you feel about guitar-centric prog rock.  Do we need keyboards, etc. to truly get the aestheticof prog rock?  If not, what are the best examples of music in this style.

My opinion, of course, is guitar/bass/drums alone can create valid  "prog rock"....and of course late 70s Rush is the prime example....but is that all that is popular?

CryoftheCarrots View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2014 at 18:14
Metal based artists such as Tool or Karnivool spring to mind.
King Crimson later era have little to no keyboards but do rely on guitar effects/exotic extended range guitars  to create a wider pallette.
"There is a lot in this world to be tense and intense about"

MJK
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2014 at 19:27
There are a lot of new bands that perform as a trio who create such a magnificent prog.
Prog Metal band Lazer/Wulf comes in mind..

Two days ago Lazer/Wulf released a new CD titled The Beast of Left and Right.

Edited by Svetonio - July 16 2014 at 19:28
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2014 at 08:12
Quintorigo has no guitar, no keys and no drums.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
refugee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2014 at 08:59
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Quintorigo has no guitar, no keys and no drums.

And today no vocals either, if Wiki is right. But that hardly makes them a guitarcentric band, does it? LOL
He say nothing is quite what it seems;
I say nothing is nothing
(Peter Hammill)
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2014 at 09:26
But this means that you can make good prog regardless the instruments you use, isn't it?
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
uvtraveler View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2014 at 10:05
Thanks, I hadn't heard of them 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2014 at 11:07
Originally posted by uvtraveler uvtraveler wrote:

Hi All, As one who has played guitar and composed for many years now, I'm always interested in seeing how to create "prog rock" material with little to no keyboards.

This is a Japanese trio called Baraka.

Promo video for "The Definition." (Note the comment left by Djam Karet's Gayle Ellett.)

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2014 at 11:12

Cynic: Kindly Bent To Free Us.  A little use of keys or guitar synths for atmosphere but this is guitar centric prog at it's cutting edge best.

Edited by SteveG - July 17 2014 at 15:52
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2014 at 15:49
Jade Warrior had next to nothing in the way of keyboards, though they did have flute and sax. Edhel - Oriental Christmas had token contributions from synth (and other instruments). It was heavily guitar driven with a Hackett-like sound. Frank Zappa's guitar parts were certainly never unequal to the other instruments. I'll think of others. Genesis was not all as keyboard dominated as people make it out to be (dominating the song writing is not the same as having more parts to play). Normally, it's just hard to keep track of whether Hackett or Banks was playing any given passage. Hackett was able to vary the timbre (and techniques) of the guitar so successfully that it was hard to tell. The range of effects available to guitarists today is staggering. There are few limits.
waluigithewalrus View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2014 at 16:17
Does Primus count, since they kind of skirt the line of being prog vs. non-prog? They definitely make the guitar/bass/drum formula work, with a lot of emphasis on the bass part. Plus, absolutely nutty lyrics! 

Edited by waluigithewalrus - July 17 2014 at 16:17
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2014 at 16:49
Anybody remember Maximum Indifference? Had the pleasure of seeing them live in 2001 (the last time they released an album, I believe). MI was (?) a blistering hi-energy instrumental prog rock trio, influenced (of course) by Rush and other bands.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2014 at 17:23

Hi All, As one who has played guitar and composed for many years now, I'm always interested in seeing how to create "prog rock" material with little to no keyboards. For about 20 years, I have trying to figure  out how to arrange ELP's  KarnEvil IX, Imp I, Pt I for guitar/bass/drums  (to no avail so far unfortunately). As this forum has a lot of people who seem truly interested in music, I'd like your opinions on what you feel about guitar-centric prog rock.  Do we need keyboards, etc. to truly get the aestheticof prog rock?  If not, what are the best examples of music in this style. My opinion, of course, is guitar/bass/drums alone can create valid  "prog rock"....and of course late 70s Rush is the prime example....but is that all that is popular?

FYI, on a Greg Lake live DVD, guitarist, Florian Epahle, played the lead portion of Karn Evil 9 on guitar, which of course was originally played by Emerson on keyboard. Keyboards, however, were covering other parts.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2014 at 19:14
I've never thought prog as needing any particular instruments to be progressive rock.  That versatility in instruments and expression is part of what being prog means to me.  The symph sound of course is much more likely to have keyboards than other types of prog, but an Italian band such as Cervello with Melos, which I consider on the symph side, uses other means.  In Avant Prog there are many bands that make music regularly without keyboards.

I'm no math rock expert (or post rock for that matter), but I think there are many that are guitar-centric without keyboards.

The first band that came to my mind is Don Cabellero.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDzSp5MABl4

Edited for terrible typos.

I'll just add that I'm sure I have heard quote a lot that have a King Crimson sound/ are influenced by KC which don't use extensive keyboards.

Edited by Logan - July 17 2014 at 19:26
Just a fanboy passin' through.
theUnRealMe View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2014 at 19:32
IMO a very good example of prog rock with no keyboards is "The Art Of Navigating By The Stars" by Sieges Even
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2014 at 20:53
David Sancious

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2014 at 21:20
Henry Kaiser
Adrian Belew

Both creators of pure solo Prog guitar albums. Adrian Belew used guitar synthesizers. Synthesizers, we should be reminded, are not synonymous with keyboards. We have a wide array of guitar synthesizers and waveshapers.
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2014 at 23:08
The Mars Volta (at least up until their most recent) is an obvious example; although they used a variety of instruments including sound manipulation electronics, their style is very guitar-centric.  Russian Circles is a good example of a guitarist using loops and effects to fill up the space that the keyboard would usually take in a progressive rock band.  Tech/Extreme metal has plenty of guitar-centric material.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
uvtraveler View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2014 at 23:51
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Hi All, As one who has played guitar and composed for many years now, I'm always interested in seeing how to create "prog rock" material with little to no keyboards. For about 20 years, I have trying to figure  out how to arrange ELP's  KarnEvil IX, Imp I, Pt I for guitar/bass/drums  (to no avail so far unfortunately). As this forum has a lot of people who seem truly interested in music, I'd like your opinions on what you feel about guitar-centric prog rock.  Do we need keyboards, etc. to truly get the aestheticof prog rock?  If not, what are the best examples of music in this style. My opinion, of course, is guitar/bass/drums alone can create valid  "prog rock"....and of course late 70s Rush is the prime example....but is that all that is popular? 

FYI, on a Greg Lake live DVD, guitarist, Florian Epahle, played the lead portion of Karn Evil 9 on guitar, which of course was originally played by Emerson on keyboard. Keyboards, however, were covering other parts.

Really?  Do you know the name of the DVD...I have to see that.  Thanks HackettFan

Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 00:31
The eighties King Crimson and RUSH(much of the time anyway).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>