Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2014 Picks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 19>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 02:15
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

On a different note, P.A. members should know that in math's the rule is that score .5 or any number added a half above should be rounded to up not down. Stern Smile hugs anyway  WinkLOL

So a bad CD gets an extra .5 (+) of "sucks," right? LOL
hahaha Versible, lol LOL you are very naughty! Nope I did not say or mean that not at all, for instance a 1.5 even should be rounded up to a 2 Wink otherwise one should score it 1.4 to reduce it to 1, my point of view was in general and not specific.
Naughty corner for you, 10 min time out! WinkHug
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 03:31

Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

So just for fun, and partially because I think the 5 star trigger is being pulled waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too often, I'd like to ask PA members of how many genuine masterpieces they think were produced in 2014?

While I think the year has been absolutely drenched in wonderful releases, I do not feel comfortable in awarding any of them with the full monty. Some, however, do have the potential to reach the upper shelf, but for me that takes time. Maybe in a year, I'll be able to sing the praises of one of these albums - stamping a 5 star rating on my review, but I want to be sure and not just driven by the moment I first hear something good (like I strongly suspect a fair few reviewers tend to do).

I'll take you up on your challenge, David:

Of the 101 albums currently charting on PA's Top albums of 2014 list, I have heard 56, rated/reviewed 36 and given 5 stars to three (3):

---No tengas miedo by KANT FREUD KAFKA because it is truly an exemplary work of intelligently crafted symphonic prog with amazing flow and cohesion, great instrumental performances and contributions throughout, all inspired by a modern Pandora/Persephone-Demeter myth the story of which the music is synchronized. 

---City of the Sun by SEVEN IMPALE because they have produced an amazingly deep and memorable album of multi-layered hard rocking jazz which takes the music of VDGG and DISCIPLINE farther than their 'grandfathers' (Peter Hammill & co.) and 'fathers' (Matthew Parmenter & co.) did.

---Behind the Sun by MOTORPSYCHO because they have produced an album of amazing confidence and clarity of purpose in which exemplary vocal stylings, guitar play, active drumming, melodic and harmonic mastery, composition, enthusiasm and maturity are on full display in nearly every minute of every song (which cannot be said of many 1970s Genesis albums). 

I also gave 5 star ratings to several albums which PA has not (yet) included or which have fallen below the arbitrary cutoff rating number necessary to stay on the "Top" list, including: 
ELECTRIC ORANGE's Volume 10
ANTOINE FAFARD's Ad Perpetuum
PINGVINORKESTERN's Push
UT GRET's Ancestor's Tale, and 
HOMÍNIDO's Estirpe Lítica

Of these eight (8) albums I have to admit that three or four of them I'd give 9/10 or 4.5 star ratings were they used here on PA, but I choose to err on the side of my enthusiasm out of respect and admiration for the talented, hard-working musicians who receive their inspiration from and choose to work within the 'world' of prog.

Interesting, uhm speaking of 4 or 5 star reviews, Guldbamsen have you considered the fact that some P.A. Collabs only review albums that they really like and are up their alley in terms of music choice? The fact is this is an amateur site with people who actually have a great insight in many different genres of prog. Dismissing wonderful funny most insightful and articulate reviews by a collab especially (the love of a band by a newcomer fan also should not be disregarded btw) is the best thing about this site. I have no problem with low scoring reviews, in fact Gerinsky gave a 2 star rating review to my dearest favorite band in 2012, his review I cannot fault it because he clearly showed that he heard the whole album (hated it btw) this is doesn't matter but the fact he made an effort to listen, this was so clear he described the whole album, no running away from that. I love him qa lot and respect him so much as a reviewer even if our moozik taste is so far apart.
This said, you speak of collabs giving bands high ratings, I rather point out that some your collabs (not all and my buddy Gereinsky is brilliant example of a fab reviewer grrr bad taste in moozik tho' ; hihihi)  who really score bands low, the only thing they seem to mention is the band name, the rest redundant and could be related to any other band, no description as to why, all very general, lacking insight or articulate skills. Obviously some have not done their homework because what they say has nothing related to that band, i.e. one review even the only track they mentioned the name of the song title was wrong. Our tastes are very diverse and this is a good thing too, however instead of critiquing high scores by enthusiastic reviewers who one can clearly read/understand and feel how much they enjoyed an album, one should also pay attention to those who write negative and say nothing that a new listener/prospect may relate to..   

I never mentioned collabs Sonia. I am talking members in general
Loving music is imo also being able to see the moles and bad hair days - just like in relationships. Even if you love somebody, you can still be more infatuated with an earlier love that got away. I'm rambling now, but let me put it into David Bowie terms for ya, a man we both love I pressume: as much as I adore Ziggy with Moonage Daydream and Five Years and RnR Suicide, I would still probably give it a three here on PA, as I prefer almost all of the other Bowie releases from the 70s, bar Pin Ups and Young Americans yikes!!! Man Who Sold The World and Low fx are albums I would call masterpieces, but then again it's all down to taste baby.
I know what I like, and I like kiwis with their skins on.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 03:51

So just for fun, and partially because I think the 5 star trigger is being pulled waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too often, I'd like to ask PA members of how many genuine masterpieces they think were produced in 2014?

While I think the year has been absolutely drenched in wonderful releases, I do not feel comfortable in awarding any of them with the full monty. Some, however, do have the potential to reach the upper shelf, but for me that takes time. Maybe in a year, I'll be able to sing the praises of one of these albums - stamping a 5 star rating on my review, but I want to be sure and not just driven by the moment I first hear something good (like I strongly suspect a fair few reviewers tend to do).

Of the 101 albums currently charting on PA's Top albums of 2014 list, I have heard 56, rated/reviewed 36 and given 5 stars to three (3):

---No tengas miedo by KANT FREUD KAFKA because it is truly an exemplary work of intelligently crafted symphonic prog with amazing flow and cohesion, great instrumental performances and contributions throughout, all inspired by a modern Pandora/Persephone-Demeter myth the story of which the music is synchronized. 

---City of the Sun by SEVEN IMPALE because they have produced an amazingly deep and memorable album of multi-layered hard rocking jazz which takes the music of VDGG and DISCIPLINE farther than their 'grandfathers' (Peter Hammill & co.) and 'fathers' (Matthew Parmenter & co.) did.

---Behind the Sun by MOTORPSYCHO because they have produced an album of amazing confidence and clarity of purpose in which exemplary vocal stylings, guitar play, active drumming, melodic and harmonic mastery, composition, enthusiasm and maturity are on full display in nearly every minute of every song (which cannot be said of many 1970s Genesis albums). 

I also gave 5 star ratings to several albums which PA has not (yet) included or which have fallen below the arbitrary cutoff rating number necessary to stay on the "Top" list, including: 
PINGVINORKESTERN's Push

Of these eight (8) albums I have to admit that three or four of them I'd give 9/10 or 4.5 star ratings were they used here on PA, but I choose to err on the side of my enthusiasm out of respect and admiration for the talented, hard-working musicians who receive their inspiration from and choose to work within the 'world' of prog.

Interesting, uhm speaking of 4 or 5 star reviews, Guldbamsen have you considered the fact that some P.A. Collabs only review albums that they really like and are up their alley in terms of music choice? The fact is this is an amateur site with people who actually have a great insight in many different genres of prog. Dismissing wonderful funny most insightful and articulate reviews by a collab especially (the love of a band by a newcomer fan also should not be disregarded btw) is the best thing about this site. I have no problem with low scoring reviews, in fact Gerinsky gave a 2 star rating review to my dearest favorite band in 2012, his review I cannot fault it because he clearly showed that he heard the whole album (hated it btw) this is doesn't matter but the fact he made an effort to listen, this was so clear he described the whole album, no running away from that. I love him qa lot and respect him so much as a reviewer even if our moozik taste is so far apart.
This said, you speak of collabs giving bands high ratings, I rather point out that some your collabs (not all and my buddy Gereinsky is brilliant example of a fab reviewer grrr bad taste in moozik tho' ; hihihi)  who really score bands low, the only thing they seem to mention is the band name, the rest redundant and could be related to any other band, no description as to why, all very general, lacking insight or articulate skills. Obviously some have not done their homework because what they say has nothing related to that band, i.e. one review even the only track they mentioned the name of the song title was wrong. Our tastes are very diverse and this is a good thing too, however instead of critiquing high scores by enthusiastic reviewers who one can clearly read/understand and feel how much they enjoyed an album, one should also pay attention to those who write negative and say nothing that a new listener/prospect may relate to..   

Loving music is imo also being able to see the moles and bad hair days - just like in relationships. Even if you love somebody, you can still be more infatuated with an earlier love that got away. I'm rambling now, but let me put it into David Bowie terms for ya, a man we both love I pressume: as much as I adore Ziggy with Moonage Daydream and Five Years and RnR Suicide, I would still probably give it a three here on PA, as I prefer almost all of the other Bowie releases from the 70s, bar Pin Ups and Young Americans yikes!!! Man Who Sold The World and Low fx are albums I would call masterpieces, but then again it's all down to taste baby.

Ah it's ok Guldbamsen, I love you no matter what ApproveHug
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 03:54

PINGVINORKESTERN's Push

Oh wait a minute!
Cooee! Guldbamsen you'd score those Bowie albums only 3 stars?!!! I love him later albums not so much interms of music tho'.
But those Ermm you, you naughty one!

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 03:59
No I'd rate Ziggy with 3 stars. It's a good album, just like the review guidelines suggest. Pin Ups and Young Americans I'd give 2
Remember this is coming from a looooong standing fan who absolutely adores the man.

Edited by Guldbamsen - December 31 2014 at 04:01
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 04:00
God this track is sexy as hell (good hot hell that is) Rock 'n' Roll Suicide - HAMMERSMITH '73 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLZNBbxJ2xo&list=PLMyHPEAFkfwM_QhxdQ8EBNtoGg_AeGUSS&index=1
Time takes a cigarette, puts it in your mouth
You pull on your finger, then another finger, then your cigarette
The wall-to-wall is calling, it lingers, then you forget
Ohh how how how, you're a rock 'n' roll suicide
.................................... sigh Heartuhm ... xxxx
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 04:03

No I'd rate Ziggy with 3 stars. It's a good album, just like the review guidelines suggest. Pin Ups and Young Americans I'd give 2
Remember this is coming from a looooong standing fan who absolutely adores the man.
Your last sentence is a tad exaggerated LOL really! lol Gulbamsen, another 10 min time out for it! Stern Smile
Plus Ziggy 3 stars, that's a sin! lol
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 04:09
The spiders etc ziggy and mars blah ... is my fav album, did you know that rick wakeman played on one track in that album? A song called "It Aint Easy" :) xxxx
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 04:10
I agree with David, he could probably rate 5 stars on general music sites but for progressive fans it doesn't seem essential. This comes from the guy who rated most LZ albums with 5 stars though, I just couldn't rate it lower LOL I should update those Ermm
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 04:12
Meltdowner you too!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 04:13

God this track is sexy as hell (good hot hell that is) Rock 'n' Roll Suicide - HAMMERSMITH '73 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLZNBbxJ2xo&list=PLMyHPEAFkfwM_QhxdQ8EBNtoGg_AeGUSS&index=1
Time takes a cigarette, puts it in your mouth
You pull on your finger, then another finger, then your cigarette
The wall-to-wall is calling, it lingers, then you forget
Ohh how how how, you're a rock 'n' roll suicide
.................................... sigh Heartuhm ... xxxx

Oh yes!! I've always preferred it in a live setting. The much maligned David Live! also has a breathtaking performance from Bowie. He is in great voice that evening!

- Douglas Adams
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 04:14
No band in the world beats this album, track listing copied here below:

No.

Title

Length

"Five Years"  

4:44

"Soul Love"  

3:33

"Moonage Daydream"  

4:35

"Starman"  

4:13

"It Ain't Easy" (Ron Davies)

3:00

Side two

No.

Title

Length

"Lady Stardust"  

3:20

"Star"  

2:50

"Hang On to Yourself"  

2:40

"Ziggy Stardust"  

3:13

"Suffragette City"  

3:25

"Rock 'n' Roll Suicide"  

Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 04:16
2014?
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 04:19
Bowie - Five Years '76 (HIGH QUALITY) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dPi09iUAnU
Pushing thru the market
square
so many mothers sighing
News had just come over,
we had five years left to cry in

News guy wept and told us
earth was really dying
Cried so much his face was wet
then I knew he was not lying

I heard telephones, opera house, favourite melodies
I saw boys, toys electric irons and T.V.'s
My brain hurt like a warehouse
it had no room to spare
I had to cram so many things
to store everything in there
And all the fat-skinny people, and all the tall-short people
And all the nobody people, and all the somebody people
I never thought I'd need so many people
P.S. I AM AWARE I CANNOT POST LYRICS HERE, THESE ARE JUST A LITTLE SUB BIT ;) awww I love him xxxx
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 04:20
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

2014?
Ooops, Barbu, yes we deviated from forum topic Big smile sorry about that. hug Hug
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 04:21

Your last sentence is a tad exaggerated LOL really! lol Gulbamsen, another 10 min time out for it! Stern Smile

Sin smin tin foil cat
If you take a look at who else rated it 3 stars you'll see some great collaborators included. People who also happen to love Bowie.

It's cool though, Sonia. I have a very old and close friend who names Ziggy as her fave album altogether, and I completely understand where she's coming from. I just don't love it as much myself. Like I said, I far prefer the album live, which reminds me; the final gig for the Ziggy tour which was released as a 2 cd back in 199? - who cares anyway THAT rendition of Ziggy may just get the 5 star trigger out of me

Edited by Guldbamsen - December 31 2014 at 04:24

- Douglas Adams
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 04:25

+ 42 years Rock on!
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 04:26

Sin smin tin foil cat
If you take a look at who else rated it 3 stars you'll see some great collaborators included. People who also happen to love Bowie.

It's cool though, Sonia. I have a very old and close friend who names Ziggy as her fave album altogether, and I completely understand where she's coming from. I just don't love it as much myself. Like I said, I far prefer the album live, which reminds me; the final gig for the Ziggy tour that were released as a 2 cd back in 199? - who cares anyway THAT rendition of Ziggy may just get the 5 star trigger out of me

You silly thing Smile I dedicate this slow but magic song to you, Guldbamsen :) Clap ApproveThumbs Up it's a bit eerie but beautiful too. Hug
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 04:30

+ 42 years Rock on!
Barbu!!! ShockedHeartThumbs Up big hug to you xxxxx Hug
This song I dedicate to you, not the lyrics but the song because it's very beautiful Approve it's a Jacques Brel cover of La Morte.
David Bowie - My Death (Hammersmith Odeon, London, 3 July 1973) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9WSqQS1PJg
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 04:32

2014?

Ooops, Barbu, yes we deviated from forum topic Big smile sorry about that. hug Hug

I guess I started this myself, but then again this is my thread
I just thought it was interesting to see how people related to the whole ratings thing. I'd rather not, but with this badge I have to care on some level. Why? Because most others do.

But you're right Martin!
Let's get back to brass tax here

How about those Norwegians eh? Major Parkinson, Møster!, Seven Impale, Ulver, Motorpsycho, Tusmörke and the list literally goes on and on and on. These people are taking over! So many quality releases this year it literally boggles the mind

Btw: love that one Sonia. His first ever 'prog' piece imo.

Edited by Guldbamsen - December 31 2014 at 04:35

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 19>