Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWas early 80's King Crimson really Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 13:59
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by O666 O666 wrote:

No.As I said before " My English isnt good" and I never want to fight or combat steveG. I only try to talked about music and my opinion. I dont know you and this isnt personal. Perhaps we have too many common opinions but I dont know why you attack to opposite opinions by accusing? And I dont understand your anger. 
I believe our disagreement is due to poor communication only, so please accept my apology.
Thumbs Up and I Aprecciated
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 14:13
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

It is not an attack on KC to merely suggest that 80s KC was perhaps more progressive than prog.

As far I remember, *prog* in 1980 widely was still only an acronym for *progressive rock*. The term 'prog' is really starting to emerge in the early nineties with the prog metal i.e. that was when one metaller asks other metaller "hey what are you listening now?", and he / she responds "I listen now to prog mostly" - of course thinking about prog metal i.e. Dream Theater and the likes, not about some symphonic prog stuff from late 60 / early 70 lol.
^ Prog was the eggy fart released in the crowded elevator circa 1980 and you damn well know it fine. Just like crushed velvet strides and patchouli oil, certain practices are relegated to the peripheries when it comes to the selective revisionism necessitated by shopping for say,  flares when they ain't available. You have started a hell of a lot of threads recently (which is not necessarily a bad thing, so this is not a rebuke) but I like to think we BOTH intuit that what might pass for Prog in 2014 is a nostalgia for something that never happened in the first place by those who weren't even around to countenance such verisimilitude.
You can belong to prog-nostalgic crowd, if you want to, and to claim that the progressive rock ceased in 1980. Nobody needs to challenge your opinion.
But, from your side, you wouldn't to dispute other fans who are prog-futurists and who believes in the future of our beloved genre.
Good Point.
rocknrollcola View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 15:26
Yes of course with elements of New Wave. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 15:30
^Greetings R&RCola and welcome to the party. Strap yourself in for the ride. It's a blast, Daddy-o!
uvtraveler View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 16:58
If those 3 recordings aren't "progressive rock" (Discipline, Beat, Three of a Perfect Pair)...then the definition of the genre is way too narrow. 
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 17:19

Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

It is not an attack on KC to merely suggest that 80s KC was perhaps more progressive than prog.

As far I remember, *prog* in 1980 widely was still only an acronym for *progressive rock*. The term 'prog' is really starting to emerge in the early nineties with the prog metal i.e. that was when one metaller asks other metaller "hey what are you listening now?", and he / she responds "I listen now to prog mostly" - of course thinking about prog metal i.e. Dream Theater and the likes, not about some symphonic prog stuff from late 60 / early 70 lol.
^ Prog was the eggy fart released in the crowded elevator circa 1980 and you damn well know it fine. Just like crushed velvet strides and patchouli oil, certain practices are relegated to the peripheries when it comes to the selective revisionism necessitated by shopping for say,  flares when they ain't available. You have started a hell of a lot of threads recently (which is not necessarily a bad thing, so this is not a rebuke) but I like to think we BOTH intuit that what might pass for Prog in 2014 is a nostalgia for something that never happened in the first place by those who weren't even around to countenance such verisimilitude.
You can belong to prog-nostalgic crowd, if you want to, and to claim that the progressive rock ceased in 1980. Nobody needs to challenge your opinion.
But, from your side, you wouldn't to dispute other fans who are prog-futurists and who believes in the future of our beloved genre.

I'm neither a nostalgic or sentimental person Svetonio. It's the retro proggers Transatlantic, Taproban, Wobbler, Areknames, Black Bonzo, (some recent) Steven Wilson et al who I am referring to. That's not to say the foregoing haven't made any fine music (as I enjoy most of them) but as the song says: tell me who doesn't love what can never come back? As for what is considered modern Prog, this will always be accompanied by a glance in the rear view mirror for musicians reverse engineering its future.

rocknrollcola View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 01:17
Thank you very much SteveG
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234