Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Books and Miscellaneous Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do you read Prog magazine?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 15:57
Not since one of their reviewers disparaged music not sung in English. As a non-native speaker of English and a language professional, I found this attitude so intolerable that I even wrote a blog post about it. I have much better uses for $ 15, and I can find much better reviews on the Internet (though I am one of those few remaining people who still love books and magazines made of paper).
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 17:14
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Not since one of their reviewers disparaged music not sung in English. As a non-native speaker of English and a language professional, I found this attitude so intolerable that I even wrote a blog post about it. I have much better uses for $ 15, and I can find much better reviews on the Internet (though I am one of those few remaining people who still love books and magazines made of paper).

Agreed Raff.  The attitude they chose to publish about Italian language prog equates to low creditability in my book.  Why would I support that?  And you are right in that we have a handful of writers right here who smoke the reviewers in that mag. 
Oh how we've fallen

Snufkins 3rd Ear View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snufkins 3rd Ear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2015 at 16:12
My wife took out a subscription as a present and ive somehow not got round to cancelling itEmbarrassed! firstly each issue is driven by the need to advertise the latest box set re-issue from the past and re-hashing interviews and stuff thats been gone through so, so many times before. The world-wide heritage of progressive music is almost entiely ignored in preference of the latest re-issue of Yes, ELP, Genesis etc.. I'm not a massive fan of of all the contemporary 'prog bands' (most are just just melodic hard rock bands to my ears) but at least i'm hearing something new and have found a few new interesting bands. Overall it is what it is, a bit too shiny and self congratulating, bit parochial, bit limited and dull in its research.. I agree PA is much better for personal research and impartial viewsClap.
WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeepingElf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2015 at 15:39
I have changed my mind after finishing reading the February issue of Prog, and bought the March issue just a few hours ago, though I still think 19.20 is a steep price for a magazine.  The German Eclipsed magazine is only about a third of that price, but Prog is about 50% thicker, and all about prog, while with Eclipsed, at least half is about such non-prog classic rock artists as Eric Clapton or the Rolling Stones, so the ratio between price and prog-related content is about the same with both.

... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic