Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTwo electronic albums - part 1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which one of these albums is your favorite?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
16 [45.71%]
19 [54.29%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
manfromstoke View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Two electronic albums - part 1
    Posted: August 11 2014 at 14:51
The Tangs for me. Thumbs Up

JMJ is more accessible to the masses and the fact he used a Laser harp designed by another great synth composer Bernard Szajner on the China tour does give him credibility in my book but not enough to sway decision.
A fool can ask more questions than a wise man can answer.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2014 at 13:20
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

The stupid little confused emoticon. I would ban that bugger from this forum , we could all use it just because we don't like someone else's opinion

I don't, I use it when I don't understand someone's opinion or comment. 

That you like Oxygene and I don't is irrelevant and of no concern to me, I should have snipped off your first two sentences in the quote to avoid this confusion but unfortunately I didn't. I voiced my opinion and you gave a sarcastic reply in direct response to that so I defended my opinion. If you think I have commented on your opinion of the piece, that you like it and I don't, then I apologise because I don't believe I did and certainly did not intend to.

In this instance the confused emoticon was used for your sarcastic "so obviously must be soulless and bland" comment in regard to its use in Gallipoli that the emoticon immediately followed, I then went on to explain why.

Like minimalist music, most good electronic music is not repetitive, that's the most misunderstood and misrepresented characteristic of it - the repeated motifs change. Similarly I don't find that virtually all electronic music is devoid of emotion, quite the opposite - the music of Vangelis and Froese can be very evocative for me. Due to the lack of touch-sensitivity on early synthesiser keyboards some of it lacks expression then so does some harpsichord music for the same reason, but that does not imply there is no emotion in it. 

okay I was sarcastic admittedly but the comment  'soulless and bland' is something I would only ever reserve an opinion for something like production line pop music created by Stock Aitken and Waterbracket. Oxygene is probably not the masterpeice it's often made out to be but it does have enough good moments to elevate it above eighties pop music imho.

Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2014 at 07:30
You can put me firmly in the Oxygene camp.  For me this was the album that introduced me to EM (it was the first album I ever bought, something I'm quite proud of actually Approve).  A truly ground breaking album that I love even now.

The TD one is ok but not a patch on some others by them around that point of their career.

If the poll had been Oxygene 7-13 vs Stratosfear I'd still have gone with Jarre. 
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2014 at 03:49
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2014 at 02:47

The stupid little confused emoticon. I would ban that bugger from this forum , we could all use it just because we don't like someone else's opinion

I don't, I use it when I don't understand someone's opinion or comment. 

That you like Oxygene and I don't is irrelevant and of no concern to me, I should have snipped off your first two sentences in the quote to avoid this confusion but unfortunately I didn't. I voiced my opinion and you gave a sarcastic reply in direct response to that so I defended my opinion. If you think I have commented on your opinion of the piece, that you like it and I don't, then I apologise because I don't believe I did and certainly did not intend to.

In this instance the confused emoticon was used for your sarcastic "so obviously must be soulless and bland" comment in regard to its use in Gallipoli that the emoticon immediately followed, I then went on to explain why.

Like minimalist music, most good electronic music is not repetitive, that's the most misunderstood and misrepresented characteristic of it - the repeated motifs change. Similarly I don't find that virtually all electronic music is devoid of emotion, quite the opposite - the music of Vangelis and Froese can be very evocative for me. Due to the lack of touch-sensitivity on early synthesiser keyboards some of it lacks expression then so does some harpsichord music for the same reason, but that does not imply there is no emotion in it. 
What?
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2014 at 01:27
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Oxygene Part 2 is easily one of the best electronic pieces I've heard. I'd love to hear anything else remotely like that.

also used brilliantly as part of the Peter Weir film Gallipoli at a key moment , so obviously must be soulless and bland
Confused each to his own and there is no accounting for taste. To my ears it's simplistic, repetitive and has some well-timed synth sci-fi effect noises all over it, but it is completely devoid of any soul, emotion or passion - even Tomita managed to squeeze more emotion out of electronic music than this. It certainly does not conjure feeling of fear, panic, anticipation or any other emotion that you'd expect on Turkish battlefield in WWI. So I think you maybe influenced by the visual more than the aural in that - maybe that works "brilliantly" for you but for me that was a most incongruous piece of film scoring. Sometimes incongruent film-scoring really does work brilliantly, A Clockwork Orange being a prime example, but not in this case, I half expected to see Empire Stormtroopers to come marching over the hill firing laser-rifles "pew-pew, pew, pew-pew-pew, pew, pew". 

Much electronic music is repetitive and virtually ALL of it could be described as 'devoid of any soul ,emotion or passion' as you put it. Give me an example of EM that isn't? I believe of any genre its probably the most personal and difficult to get a grasp of. I couldn't tell you why I like Vangelis - Beauborg for instance. Something that was knocked up in a lunchtime yet it has something about it.
Jarre was a student of EM so it may seem that all his work is derivative yet I struggle to compare his music to anyone else. The nearest to Jarre to my ears is Edgar Froese solo work Stuntman which came a couple of years later. That has much of the same feel but of course if anyone was copying anyone it was Froese copying Jarre.

My favourite JM Jarre album is Rendez - Vous. That has some truly epic material and memorable moments (Ron's Piece for instance). Its even fun in places but I guess that's bland and souless as well.

Edited by richardh - August 04 2014 at 01:28
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2014 at 01:16
Below clip from Gallipoli featuring JM Jarre but not the one I was thinking of. Part 2 is used very effectively at one point. I thought it worth posting this up given the significance of today. I would recommend watching this film  as your own personal commemoration

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2014 at 17:52
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

Maurice Jarre.
Thumbs Up Very under-appreciated composer.
What?
genbanks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2014 at 17:40
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

Maurice Jarre.

LOL
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2014 at 17:35
Maurice Jarre.
genbanks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2014 at 17:03

Oxygene Part 2 is easily one of the best electronic pieces I've heard.

Aboslutely agree

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2014 at 16:38

Oxygene Part 2 is easily one of the best electronic pieces I've heard. I'd love to hear anything else remotely like that.

also used brilliantly as part of the Peter Weir film Gallipoli at a key moment , so obviously must be soulless and bland
Confused each to his own and there is no accounting for taste. To my ears it's simplistic, repetitive and has some well-timed synth sci-fi effect noises all over it, but it is completely devoid of any soul, emotion or passion - even Tomita managed to squeeze more emotion out of electronic music than this. It certainly does not conjure feeling of fear, panic, anticipation or any other emotion that you'd expect on Turkish battlefield in WWI. So I think you maybe influenced by the visual more than the aural in that - maybe that works "brilliantly" for you but for me that was a most incongruous piece of film scoring. Sometimes incongruent film-scoring really does work brilliantly, A Clockwork Orange being a prime example, but not in this case, I half expected to see Empire Stormtroopers to come marching over the hill firing laser-rifles "pew-pew, pew, pew-pew-pew, pew, pew". 

Edited by Dean - August 03 2014 at 17:53
What?
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2014 at 14:59

Edited by richardh - August 03 2014 at 15:01
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2014 at 03:30
Hmm... Jarre's best vs. Tangos' average... not a tough choice - Stratosfear by a country mile.

Soon after the initial excitement of hearing electronic music played on day-time radio (Oxygène Part IV) I bought the album and was woefully disappointed by the whole thing, it sounded bland, derivative and soulless to my ears - it's electronic Pop Corn (Hot Butter) and not in the same league as the Tangos (or even Oldfield). I've played it maybe a couple of times in the past 38 years and it hasn't got any better, I'd much rather listen to father Maurice than son Jean Michel (Maurice wrote the soundtracks to Lawrence of Arabia and Dr. Zhivago).
What?
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2014 at 03:14
I think TD were for obvious reasons more established. As much as I love the incredible Oxygene, no faults.......Stratosfear well for me was pushing even more boundaries at that time. I mean......Invisible Limits? Both great albums and for me Jarre's best work.
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2014 at 02:58
Jarre on this one as it seemed to define electronic music at that time but both albums are probably 4 star albums in my book.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2014 at 15:43
TD For me.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2014 at 14:49
A very close call. I voted for Jean-Michel Jarre today, but in fact I like them about equally.
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2014 at 14:43
Not really a fan of Jarre and I really like the TD album so...
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2014 at 12:59
Oxygene
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>