FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMagic The Gathering

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Magic The Gathering
    Posted: August 06 2014 at 06:11
I searched before I made this thread, and I couldn't find any indication of a Magic thread already existing; forgive me if I'm in error!

Does anyone else play or collect? I've only just recently gotten back into it (M15), and I've got to admit, it reminds me of why I love TCG's in the first place! So, before I go on typing a large post (and potentially have to delete a thread that already exists elsewhere), who else plays or collects?

I bet you can't tell what one of my favorite cards to play is LOL.
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2014 at 06:35
BUMP

Wow, there's really nobody else on PA that plays Magic The Gathering?!

I've been building and experimenting with the new M15 cards like crazy. I really enjoy making and playing with five-color decks, and I've almost got my latest one down pat. Lots of playing and experimenting with the lady (yes, she plays; I'm one lucky guy).

Nobody else here plays this game? I kind of find that hard to believe! LOL
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2014 at 08:46
I started playing MTG two years ago on the Innistrad block. I have a white/green human and angels deck and a blue/white aura deck.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2014 at 10:36
I play and im the best. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2014 at 11:54
I play it on steam because I'm too shy to play irl and refuse to play for magic online.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2014 at 06:01
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

I started playing MTG two years ago on the Innistrad block. I have a white/green human and angels deck and a blue/white aura deck.

Awesome! Sounds like a great combination. I tweaked my five-color deck yesterday, and it's definitely improving. My biggest issue is keeping enough guys on the battlefield to block/counter while I ramp up mana to get my green monsters (Terra Stomper x 2 and several others I forget the names of) casted and out. It's a very well-rounded deck, and I have all sorts of spell counters and blocks to knock opponents off their guard when they try and exile my big guys Wink.

Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

I play and im the best. 

What are you running for a deck? Smile

Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

I play it on steam because I'm too shy to play irl and refuse to play for magic online.

Totally understandable. I don't feel that I'm ready to play with strangers yet, as I still have several questions about the rules. We're going to a Friday Night Magic session tonight just to watch other people play. I feel like that's a really smart idea to understand the game more clearly!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2014 at 07:37
Originally posted by PrognosticMind PrognosticMind wrote:

Awesome! Sounds like a great combination. I tweaked my five-color deck yesterday, and it's definitely improving. My biggest issue is keeping enough guys on the battlefield to block/counter while I ramp up mana to get my green monsters (Terra Stomper x 2 and several others I forget the names of) casted and out. It's a very well-rounded deck, and I have all sorts of spell counters and blocks to knock opponents off their guard when they try and exile my big guys Wink.

The only five-color deck I played was the slivers deck from MTG 2014 but I didn't like it much because I never had the colors I needed LOL
I was thinking of starting a mono green monsters deck: they cost a lot of mana but a friend of mine had great mana ramp cards that when I played my first creature he would play a Pelakka Wurm on his next turn Tongue

One of the most interesting games I played was a 4 vs 4: we played for 6 hours and we didn't take longer because someone gave up to finish it. It also took some effort to see the cards from the team player that was on the other side of the table LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2014 at 09:13

The only five-color deck I played was the slivers deck from MTG 2014 but I didn't like it much because I never had the colors I needed LOL
I was thinking of starting a mono green monsters deck: they cost a lot of mana but a friend of mine had great mana ramp cards that when I played my first creature he would play a Pelakka Wurm on his next turn Tongue

One of the most interesting games I played was a 4 vs 4: we played for 6 hours and we didn't take longer because someone gave up to finish it. It also took some effort to see the cards from the team player that was on the other side of the table LOL

Ironically, I built a monster green deck last night with the 2015 fat pack we just got; it's super brutal, and massive growth gets played like crazy lol. Yes, they do indeed have amazing mana ramping, especially the elf creatures who can be tapped as extra manna. My gf plays a red/black deck that has all sorts of destroy target creature cards, and she used to kick my ass constantly, Now I've got a plethora of huge trampling creatures that she can only keep at bay for so long, lol.

Some of my personal favorite cards in my green deck:

^This guy with an invisibility enchant attached to him is absolutely brutal

^Super awesome come-back card Wink

We also checked out Friday Night Magic in town last evening, and it looks like a promising community. I want to really get my deck to where I want it before I start playing with randoms. I don't quite have the confidence in the rule set to not look like a noob LOL.

I also got a bunch of Sliver cards in said fat pack, and I totally want to make a five-color Sliver-driven deck in the future when I get the other colors!

That 4 vs 4 game sounds intense; that's still WAY over my head at this point LOL.

Edited by PrognosticMind - August 16 2014 at 09:22
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2014 at 09:53

Ironically, I built a monster green deck last night with the 2015 fat pack we just got; it's super brutal, and massive growth gets played like crazy lol. Yes, they do indeed have amazing mana ramping, especially the elf creatures who can be tapped as extra manna. My gf plays a red/black deck that has all sorts of destroy target creature cards, and she used to kick my ass constantly, Now I've got a plethora of huge trampling creatures that she can only keep at bay for so long, lol.

We also checked out Friday Night Magic in town last evening, and it looks like a promising community. I want to really get my deck to where I want it before I start playing with randoms. I don't quite have the confidence in the rule set to not look like a noob LOL.

I also got a bunch of Sliver cards in said fat pack, and I totally want to make a five-color Sliver-driven deck in the future when I get the other colors!

That 4 vs 4 game sounds intense; that's still WAY over my head at this point LOL.

Red/black decks are really powerful if played right. A friend of mine has a very funny combo on his red/black deck: Master of Cruelties equiped with Wispersilk Cloak and Goblin Fireslinger to deal 1 damage LOL

Those are great cards: I can't believe they are common and uncommon. On late game you can probably play a 10/10 with 4 green mana Smile

I really like the Theros block, I added a lot of creatures and auras to my two decks. I specially like this one Tongue :

Edited by Meltdowner - August 16 2014 at 09:55
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2014 at 10:08

Red/black decks are really powerful if played right. A friend of mine has a very funny combo on his red/black deck: Master of Cruelties equiped with Wispersilk Cloak and Goblin Fireslinger to deal 1 damage LOL

Those are great cards: I can't believe they are common and uncommon. On late game you can probably play a 10/10 with 4 green mana Smile

I really like the Theros block, I added a lot of creatures and auras to my two decks. I specially like this one Tongue :

^YES, that card is excellent! I've found that I seem to like Theros best out of all the spin-offs, as well. Im constructing a killer blue deck as we speak. 

I can't wait to test it out tonight Big smile.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2014 at 10:22
Blue is fun, unless the opponent plays blue Tongue
One of the most boring games I've seen was blue/red vs blue/red: both of them were expecting for the other to play anything so they could counter it, but both only had counters and creature damage LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2014 at 10:24

Blue is fun, unless the opponent plays blue Tongue
One of the most boring games I've seen was blue/red vs blue/red: both of them were expecting for the other to play anything so they could counter it, but both only had counters and creature damage LOL

Lmao, exactly. I'm definitely a counter-driven player; I like knowing what the hell is coming instead of betting my precious mana costs. I love setting up traps for my opponent to walk into, then hitting them with a counter, an instant, a sorcery, and then another instant while they're starting their next turn LOL.

Tons of mana is crucial to a good blue deck.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2014 at 10:35
I never liked much counter blue decks. I like building my battlefield and exiling creatures when needed and then attack when I have the advantage. That's why I prefer white Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2014 at 10:39

I never liked much counter blue decks. I like building my battlefield and exiling creatures when needed and then attack when I have the advantage. That's why I prefer white Smile

I definitely like doing that with red-driven decks; that have an advantage in that area for sure. However, there's much fulfillment to be had when playing an aggro player who thinks they can just mow through you, and you're two turns ahead/stocked, and deliver an incredible combo Wink.

As an aquarius, I find it hilarious that I'm drawn to the theme/advantages of the blue cards. My gf is an aries, and is also drawn to the powers of red. Intelligent game designers, if you ask me, lol.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2014 at 10:53
I've played against some great red/white decks: white for exile and defense and red for direct damage and first/double strike Cool
I was thinking of building one, but I have too much white already LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2014 at 11:25
I've also found that a solid green deck can make a red deck player burn through resources like crazy trying to keep large creatures out of battle, leaving them open for the fourth or fifth wave of 5/5+ creatures LOL.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2014 at 11:55
Nice Smile
Speaking of red deck player, once I've played a fun game against a mono red deck with lots of direct damage and land destroy. I lost with exactly 0 life, he won with 1 and I had absolutely no permanents on the battlefield LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2014 at 12:27
^That's nuts! Ah, red deck games LOL

I just built an awesome blue deck:

Creatures (16)
1 Coral Barrier
1 Trained Condor
2 Wall of Frost
4 Frost Lynx
2 Nimbus of the Isles
1 Prescient Chimera 
1 Mahamoti Djinn
2 Bronze Sable
2 Omen Speaker

Other Spells (20)
1 Aetherspouts 
4 Divination 
2 Jace's Ingenuity
2 Negate
2 Peel from Reality
1 Turn to Frog
1 Mind Sculpt
1 Cancel
1 Retraction Helix
1 Void Snare
1 Hydrosurge
1 Spellblast
1 Staff of the Mind Magus
1 Invisibility

Lands (24)
24 Islands
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2014 at 13:13
Wall of Frost is nice.
I think Nimbus of the isles costs a lot of mana: you could use Aven Fleewing instead; it cost 1 less and has hexproof.
Why is Mahamoti rare? It has no habilities and cost too much mana (for a rare of course).
I didn't know Aetherspouts: it's so much better than Aetherize.
Turn to frog is so fun: I saw it once being used on a 50/50 creature Cool

It seems promissing, I can imagine your opponents being pissed off LOL
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2014 at 13:22
I used to play MTG about 10-12 years ago. I've seen some of the new cards and am still a bit lost on all the new abilities and themes added to the game. Then again, I'm sure there are some older chaps than myself that though the same thing after playing in the 80's to early 90's.

I still think it's a fun game, just don't have the resources to play it now.

Want to play mafia? Visit here.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>