Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow was PA in the very beginning?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2014 at 16:03
That's General Bob!  LOL

Speaking of Clem, you were the very first person here to ever send me a PM.  I still have it.  Smile

febus was the second.  Cry
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2014 at 16:11
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Speaking of Clem, you were the very first person here to ever send me a PM.  I still have it.  Smile

And no doubt it was Kansas-related Wink
"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2014 at 16:16
Originally posted by ClemofNazareth ClemofNazareth wrote:

Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

And no doubt it was Kansas-related Wink

Subject: Kansas
Sent: August 25 2008 at 18:01
Sent by: ClemofNazareth
Group: Special Collaborator Special Collaborator

On my birthday!  Cool
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2014 at 16:44
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Originally posted by Tuzvihar Tuzvihar wrote:

Anybody remember Wallace? LOL

Was that the guy who was posting in a Welsh dialect Question

I remember him as Knobby (assumed that it's the same Wallace).
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2014 at 17:30

And one more thing: you could actually download mp3s and not just stream them.
BTW, it's hard to believe it will be my 10th anniversary in May next year! Shocked

Yeah and I still have a CD of a lot of my favorite songs from that first year when you could download the MP3s. I know "In the Land of Grey and Pink", (Caravan) "Kayleigh" (Marillion) and "As Good As Gold" (Pendragon) were on there.

And yeah, how time flies, right?

I think I got a few posts in Mariah Carey before The Velvet Room.
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2014 at 03:18

Yes. And it was almost totally incomprehensible. LOL
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2014 at 03:21

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Does anyone remember KE9?

An utter lunatic ELP 'fanboy' who routinely physically threatened other members if they disagreed with him!

I was just about to mention him, Karney.
I remember him vividly.
Too bad he had a serious temper.
He was one of the most colorful people around.

BTW it's a bit of a pity that a lot of people don't post here anymore, like Threefates, Trouserpress, Snow Dog, the Bald Angels, Erik Neuteboom... Or they pop up every once in a while, like Vompatti...
Well, that's just as it is, but I remember the good old days. Okay, these days are good too, but it's a different kind of good. Smile

The two I miss the most are Micky and Raff!
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2014 at 05:11
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

I registered in 2008, stopped coming here regularly between 2011 and 2013, so it seems to me somewhere around then many of the original regular posters also left only to never come back. Henry Plainview, for instance, as well as Vompatti though I still keep in touch with the Wombat on Facebook.

It seems like the people who stopped posting overwhelmingly were among the younger members on the forum, which I find pretty interesting since usually it's the opposite way around. That's probably a main reason that the overall music discussion climate is nowhere as "fanboyish", for lack of a better word, as it was back then.

Interesting comment.  But I don't remember either Henry or Vompatti as being fanboyish, if anything they, esp HP, were quite subjectivist.  There are others though who have disappeared, JS19, dtguitarfan.  Some of the regulars fell out, I think - JLocke, toddrulfusteg or whatshismoniker.  Of course, micky and raff have stopped posting on this forum, Cert1fied is either too busy or has lost interest.  Mike is another once active contributor who seems to have gone.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2014 at 05:12
Going through the Mariah Carey thread.  Surprised to see philippe participating in the discussions and sounding rather politically incorrect too. Wink  Don't think I have ever seen him on the forum in the time I have been active.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2014 at 06:21

It was an attempt at Scottish, I remember seeing those posts and how Tony called his bluff to get him to bugger off!
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2014 at 06:24
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Going through the Mariah Carey thread.  Surprised to see philippe participating in the discussions and sounding rather politically incorrect too. Wink  Don't think I have ever seen him on the forum in the time I have been active.
Unless it's been in an Electronic or Audiophile thread, it's been a very long time since either he or Oliverstoned have posted.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2014 at 08:05
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Interesting comment.  But I don't remember either Henry or Vompatti as being fanboyish, if anything they, esp HP, were quite subjectivist.  There are others though who have disappeared, JS19, dtguitarfan.  Some of the regulars fell out, I think - JLocke, toddrulfusteg or whatshismoniker.  Of course, micky and raff have stopped posting on this forum, Cert1fied is either too busy or has lost interest.  Mike is another once active contributor who seems to have gone.

Referring more to KE9, that belligerent ELP fan someone mentioned on the previous page, and similar people. There were way more people like that in 2008. I wager that somewhere along the line they either grew up, left or got banned after the remainder of the forum got tired of dealing with them.

Edited by Toaster Mantis - August 16 2014 at 09:10
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2014 at 12:22

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Does anyone remember KE9?

An utter lunatic ELP 'fanboy' who routinely physically threatened other members if they disagreed with him!

I was just about to mention him, Karney.
I remember him vividly.
Too bad he had a serious temper.
He was one of the most colorful people around.

BTW it's a bit of a pity that a lot of people don't post here anymore, like Threefates, Trouserpress, Snow Dog, the Bald Angels, Erik Neuteboom... Or they pop up every once in a while, like Vompatti...
Well, that's just as it is, but I remember the good old days. Okay, these days are good too, but it's a different kind of good. Smile

The two I miss the most are Micky and Raff!

Yes, they were also good company on the site.
Both in their very own way.
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2014 at 13:41
Had some great conversations with Mickey and Raff. I promised her I would go to Her citizenship ceremony if she ever made the leap but then they both kind of disappeared.

Also miss Snow Dog, marktheshark, WaywardSon, Australian... Lots of others too. Seems like the tempo on the site has slowed down the last couple of years - or maybe it's just me.
"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2014 at 16:11
As from when was it allowed for anybody to post reviews and ratings?
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2014 at 17:00
Hi,

That's not bad Ep .... those screenshots (and material) were better than most of the stuff out there!

I didn't come here until 2007 (so says the Avatar!!!), and I don't exactly remember the number of threads by then, which would have been 3 years AFTER EP's links ... which even I do not remember ... however, based on my memory, all conversations and work have always been fairly good and valuable in many ways ... despite many of us not agreeing to it all.

The only change/suggestion I want to see is the top 100 be only BANDS ... and not albums, so we start RESPECTING the music itself, and not our "favorite" ablums! It would take the "favoritism" out of it all a bit more, and I think it would help create a more respectful relationship with jazz and classical folks for the appreciation of music and its value to one's life. For that to happen the kid stuff, or "fan'aticism" needs to be slowed down, and the "top ten" is all about fans, and not the music!

If you want the music to be remembered 100 years from now, the fan stuff will likely have to be cut down and the discussion get more intimate and detailed about the beauty of the music.

Edited by moshkito - August 16 2014 at 17:28
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2014 at 20:39
^Yes indeed, but unfortunately these thoughts mean nothing today when the music is accessible plainly by the click of a mouse - you need just an affordable credit card in order to buy ANY artistic work you desire AFTER listening to it first. Besides that, today people in general don't give importance to the 'discomfort' of deep thinking in a world where everything is just the huge information (not knowledge) we have to deal with it everyday. And so the ignorance gives way to the idolatry you meant.

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2014 at 02:14
Karny (or KE9) managed to fall out with many over on the Greg lake site. He was a total idiot. He even faked his own internet death by pretending to be his brother and posting a personal message to a 15 year old Russian girl (also a member of the site) claiming he had died in a car accident. He returned later but then got short thrift obviously. I told him I would call the police if he ever came anywhere near me.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2014 at 02:46
^ I want to believe what happened, but that sounds all too horrifying. If you could call the police on him, I take it that he lived/lives in your vicinity, right?
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2014 at 06:19
Isn't Raff now just an admin at MetalMusicArchives? I don't use that site very often, so I'm not sure but I remember seeing her a couple times I lurked there.

KE9 sounds like quite the character, as in a person with possible neglected or improperly treated mental heath issues which is actually more sad than funny if you ask me. Henry Plainview just came across as an otherwise normal person with a very odd sense of humour.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>