Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat are you Listening to Right Now? Febus XIV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 255256257258259 507>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 14:29
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I must admit I am not really much of a fan of Zappa.  I own a handful of his albums but can't say that before I started through his entire studio discography that I liked much of his work.  His humor clashes with mine so that is kind of a negative for me. 

I have tried over and over to get into his music and other than small portions of the more commercial stuff (old and newer) I keep banging my head against the door.

The smug and smarmy dirty sex and drug humor wears really thin as well ...

that said - his voice has a lot of texture and I respect what he's accomplished - and i'll keep trying
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 14:29

I must admit I am not really much of a fan of Zappa.  I own a handful of his albums but can't say that before I started through his entire studio discography that I liked much of his work.  His humor clashes with mine so that is kind of a negative for me.  That being said I am enjoying much of his work this first time through; especially the instrumental albums.
That's it, ok, but naughty corner for you! 10 min time out LOL I love him, he keeps me entertained really hahaha!! Hug
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 14:30
Originally posted by Walton Street Walton Street wrote:

I must admit I am not really much of a fan of Zappa.  I own a handful of his albums but can't say that before I started through his entire studio discography that I liked much of his work.  His humor clashes with mine so that is kind of a negative for me. 

I have tried over and over to get into his music and other than small portions of the more commercial stuff (old and newer) I keep banging my head against the door.

that said - his voice has a lot of texture and I respect what he's accomplished - and i'll keep trying
Naughty corner for you too, Walton! LOL
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 14:32
btw Zappa was completely opposed to any kind of drugs, really except cigarettes and every now and then a bit of pot Wink he was infact most outspoken about this too.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 14:33
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

it's not for lack of trying,  I have a handful of his vinyl and a best friend from years ago was seriously into zappa - I got as lot of exposure to the oldest stuff from him...

it's just too jokey ...  like the things my kid watches on you-tube today :)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 14:35

btw Zappa was completely opposed to any kind of drugs, really except cigarettes and every now and then a bit of pot Wink he was infact most outspoken about this too.

i'm not surprised at all ..

he was a bright articulate man, I always got the impression that there was a huge division between who he really was and his on stage persona
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 14:35

it's not for lack of trying,  I have a handful of his vinyl and a best friend from years ago was seriously into zappa - I got as lot of exposure to the oldest stuff from him...

it's just too jokey ...  like the things my kid watches on you-tube today :)

hahaha ok fair enough LOLHug
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 14:40

Yep, and he was also very outspoken about freedom of speech issues and the censoring of music. 
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 14:45

Yep, and he was also very outspoken about freedom of speech issues and the censoring of music. 
Ha! rushfan4, you see, I knew it, you know that because you love him too! gnack gnack gnack (evil grin) hihihi hugs Hug
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 14:51
I was a devoted Zappa fan for over 20 years, but a few years ago I just kinda... "fell out of love" with him.  One thing that eventually bugged me was that although he was honest and an acute observer of "social anthropology", he virtually never shared anything about himself in his music.  He was happy to put everyone on the chopping block but himself.  One could argue that his body of instrumental music and guitar solos was sufficient as a key into his soul, but... yeah, perhaps.  Most  of all though, was the way his wife and son handle his "legacy" after his death.  Those two and their followers have adopted a fundamentalist stance when dealing with the Zappa body of work, trying to prevent anyone from enjoying the music on any terms other than what the artist intended.  How?  Try playing in a Zappa cover band and watch the legal team spring into action.

But enough of that... I still love quite a lot of his albums from time to time, and am listening to

FRANK ZAPPA/MOTHERS - "Freak Out" (1966)

as I write this.

Edited by HolyMoly - November 24 2014 at 14:52
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 14:58
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 15:03
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I was a devoted Zappa fan for over 20 years, but a few years ago I just kinda... "fell out of love" with him.  One thing that eventually bugged me was that although he was honest and an acute observer of "social anthropology", he virtually never shared anything about himself in his music.  He was happy to put everyone on the chopping block but himself.  One could argue that his body of instrumental music and guitar solos was sufficient as a key into his soul, but... yeah, perhaps.  Most  of all though, was the way his wife and son handle his "legacy" after his death.  Those two and their followers have adopted a fundamentalist stance when dealing with the Zappa body of work, trying to prevent anyone from enjoying the music on any terms other than what the artist intended.  How?  Try playing in a Zappa cover band and watch the legal team spring into action.

But enough of that... I still love quite a lot of his albums from time to time, and am listening to

as I write this.
I readily agree with you Steve, as Zappa was not the place to go for introspection. His music was always outward looking to a fault.

But as a friend of mine once told me 'If you want an antidote, listen to some Dylan'.

Now I'm at the stage in my life where Zappa is the antidote for Dylan! LOL

Everyone has such a different perspective at times, that's it's uncanny. 
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 15:11
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

as I write this.
I understand what you are saying, Rushfan4 Smile true Zappa was about Zappa, he also never ever played any song exactly the same but expected the band to keep up with him while performing live. He is unique tho' and I love listening to him, almost all albums really Thumbs Up he really makes me happy when I am listening to his moozik. hugs Hug 
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 15:11
I'm coming back around too, to be honest.  There's a place for Zappa in every collection.  But for many years I was an obsessive fanboy and listened to his stuff almost daily.  I just burned out on it and started craving the introspection again.  But there's room for both in my life now.

Now:

GODSPEED YOU BLACK EMPEROR - "Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend!" (2012)

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 15:14
^Yin and Yang, bro. It's all about balance.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 15:17
True.  I spent too long with my yang alone.

Edited by HolyMoly - November 24 2014 at 15:17

-Kehlog Albran
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 15:20

ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 15:24

ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 15:26
23 years ago today. :o(

-Kehlog Albran
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 15:28

ISKC Rock Radio
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 255256257258259 507>