Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWho are "The Beatles" of Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2014 at 05:23
Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

I'll get shouted down here but PF, Genesis and KC were prog or prog-like from the start. They didn't have the mainstream (pop) following that The Beatles did pre their experimental period. The only band IMHO who had mainstream pop(ularity) and then gambled on a complete change of direction a la The Beatles were Radiohead (I am hearing the shouting now!). So that's it from me....Radiohead.

I'm not saying Radiohead isn't extremely influential but just like hundreds of thousands of more or less ambitious bands they are in debt to Pink Floyd. Saying that Pink Floyd didn't have a mainstram following doesn't make any sense. I hardly know anyone why didn't discover them through a couple of albums by them in their parents collection, and I actually think they've sold more albums than Beatles (with both Dark Side and The Wall among the 10 biggest sellers ever). 
Watcher of the Sky View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2014 at 05:23
I'm between Genesis and King Crimson... both had huge influence in prog
Nous sommes du soleil
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2014 at 05:27
Afraid I fall into the "The Beatles of Prog are The Beatles" camp.
Bigger on the inside.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2014 at 09:17
Originally posted by Genital Giant Genital Giant wrote:

Genesis. I don't think any Prog band has had as much influence over other Prog bands all the way to present as Genesis. In the 1970's, King Crimson was clearly the big inspirer for the other Proggers, but from the 1980's on, Genesis' influence has been vast.

This--plus they are the only real prog band that consistently crafted good hit short pop songs like the Beatles.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2014 at 10:09
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by Scoppioingola Scoppioingola wrote:

The Beatles of prog are The Beatles.

That's all I can think of. There isn't really one band who have had the same impact in prog, except a few instances such as the first King Crimson album, The Yes Album, Foxtrot and a few others

I don't really go along with this completely.  While there's no doubt about the impact Beatles had on rock, in terms of shaping the genre in its early days, they were hardly the only band or artist of great significance.  Rolling Stones were probably more important from the point of view of popularising rock as a kind of driving, angry music which Beatles seldom were in the pre-Rubber Soul days.  Bob Dylan popularised the idea of rock as a vehicle to register protest or at least weigh in on issues of social significance.  In terms of the one big bang event that shaped prog in its archetypal 70s form, it would have to be King Crimson and their ITCOTCK album. 

That works for me for the most part but I think the Moody Blues with their use of the mellotron sound certainly influenced many also as well as their 'themed album' style. And Floyd must have had a solid influence on many bands also.

Edited by dr wu23 - August 24 2014 at 10:13
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2014 at 11:14
Of course those bands had an influence on prog, no doubt.  That is my whole argument.  All I am saying is the one album that shaped prog as a structured long form rock music, which is what most prog albums slot into, was ITCOTCK.  Days of Future Passed was far more modest that way than ITCOTCK while Piper/Saucerful was more unstructured, more oriented towards experimentation.
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2014 at 11:54
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Originally posted by Genital Giant Genital Giant wrote:

Genesis. I don't think any Prog band has had as much influence over other Prog bands all the way to present as Genesis. In the 1970's, King Crimson was clearly the big inspirer for the other Proggers, but from the 1980's on, Genesis' influence has been vast.

This--plus they are the only real prog band that consistently crafted good hit short pop songs like the Beatles.

Thumbs Up!
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2014 at 13:10
Hi,

I do not think that The Beatles were that much more important in "music", than anything else out there. For the time span, and specially in the 50's, film, literature and a lot of art, got around.  But what The Beatles, and they are not the only ones, did the most, was help break the control of the arts by an upper class crust ... that still thought that "popular music" (or popular anything!) was not a valid artistic concept or idea.

What they brought about ... go look at the two worst business decisions EVER done, on the Internet! Thus, what The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and othes brought about was that there was a business in the "popular arts" that were not quite considered before.  Their becoming famous helped bring out so much media about the popular music, that 10 years later, the previously important arts were not even selling 1/5th the amount of the stuff out there, and today, classical music is less than 1/10th of the music bought and sold out there, not to mention that you will never find a Lollapaloosa of Classical music anywhere either!

For your question, I think, the time, the place, the politics, and the arts, were way more important than any of the bands that we can think of. To say that Genesis or Pink Floyd were important, is like saying that you never saw "Tonite We All Love in London" and realize all the movie folks, literature folks, art folks and everyone else being around, getting to know each other and in many ways sharing ideas and fun along the way. That is far more important to Genesis, than the Beatles were! Why? Because it validates the time, the place, and the work you want to do.

Robin  Williamson has said that in many ways the psychedelic thing, or anything else was a media creation, because there are many folks in that midst that are true artists, and they will do what they do, and not care what else is going on. That means that the individualistic personality, is important to make something come alive, and I believe, trully, that this was the secret behind "progressive", and not anything else. Yes, no one can ignore The Beatles, or any other music at the time, but that like saying that you, or I, can not have opinions, because we were all born later, or worse ... not a part of the click ... how cliche and boring that is, PA! Don't you agree?

Edited by moshkito - August 24 2014 at 13:12
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2014 at 13:28
I am not a Beatles fan, everyone knows that....Had their time and they are done, long time ago. They could not handle the fame and fortune...I agree with moshkito especially his first sentence.

It seems what most bands credit them with is song writing influence, they wrote great pop songs....Genesis wrote great pop songs too as did Marillion.

Who are the Beatles of hip-hop, R&B, disco, country...polka?

hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2014 at 13:41
I can't imagine a world without the Beatles.as  I can't imagine a word without the alphabet.  Big smile
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2014 at 13:48
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

There is no prog equivalent of the Beatles.

I'd have to agree.  The Beatles were truly revolutionary, all the way back to the haircuts, fashions & huge concert draws.  
Most of the other early prog bands could lay claim to the huge concert draws and success with AM radio singles, particularly Yes, ELP and Pink Floyd.  

If I were to pick one, I'd say Yes for their influence on prog song structure (complex timing changes, vocal harmonies etc.), instrumentation (Rick bass, Mellotrons) and success in the pop music world, all the way to 90125.  I rather detest "Owner" but we can't deny the HUGE impact it had on the resurgence of prog pop!  
FLAC View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2014 at 14:10
probably Pink Floyd or late Genesis 
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2014 at 14:14
Hmmm this is a strange question, although I think I understand where the OP is coming from.
This may sound strange, but the only band I'd ever compare to The Beatles in terms of influence on what happened later on in 'cutting edge' music, is The Velvet Underground. Don't get me wrong, they were nothing like The Beatles and were never 'big' in their day, but when you take a look at the multitude of different rock branchings that took their cue from The Velvets; something that stretches far beyond the Punk and Post-Punk scene - even having it's hands deep down the Krautrock scene, - you'll see just how far reaching their approach and 'sound' got. Hell listen to what the underground/experimental rock scene of your country is doing right about now, and then go back and pop on White Light/White Heat.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2014 at 15:04
My knee-jerk reaction falls into the "Beatles, of course" camp. I'm a huge Yes-Genesis-Floyd-KC head, but I consider the Beatles' contributions to be unique and essential.

Tendencies became apparent on Yesterday and Today and Rubber Soul and started bubbling to the surface on Revolver.

Sgt. Pepper and Abbey Road, IMHO, are critical compasses that helped other musicians choose their production values, assert compositional freedom, and employ a variety of interesting lyrical ideas. The Beatles were instrumental for creating the commercial environment in which prog could develop and prosper.

The Beatles planted the seeds and fertilized the garden. Pink Floyd, Hendrix, and many others also were essential parts of the 1967 revolution - music does not progress in a vacuum. The Beatles brought the clout and the savvy in a way that nobody else could deliver.

The rest is history - which, thankfully, is still being written.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2014 at 11:01
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I am not a Beatles fan, everyone knows that....Had their time and they are done, long time ago. They could not handle the fame and fortune...I agree with moshkito especially his first sentence.

It seems what most bands credit them with is song writing influence, they wrote great pop songs....Genesis wrote great pop songs too as did Marillion.

Who are the Beatles of hip-hop, R&B, disco, country...polka?

That's easy. Weird Al Yankavic!! LOL
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2014 at 11:47
In terms of popularity, Pink Floyd. One of the few to have a long term stable lineup (David, Roger, Rick and Nick from 1968 to 1979) and sold a boat load of records that are still well received today.

I guess King Crimson could be another choice. I wouldn't be surprised if Fripp's genre jumping was inspired by The Beatles themselves. Then again, that could be said for almost every group that decided to experiment and/or change its sound.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2014 at 11:53
If Genesis were "The Beatles" of prog...would that make Yes "The Rolling Stones"? Cool
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2014 at 12:02
Miley Cyrus is the Sun Ra of modern stripper pop.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2014 at 12:09
Originally posted by Tristan Tristan wrote:

I think Pink Floyd must be considered in this mentioned group

Sadly this is correct.
ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2014 at 12:13
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

I can't imagine a world without the Beatles.as  I can't imagine a word without the alphabet.  Big smile

In a world without an alphabet, every album would have a title like Led Zeppelin IV's and every act would be known as "The artists' formerly known as ________."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>