Message Reverse Sort Order
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2014 at 09:49
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

As thrilling as this little derailment has been, then I think it's probably best if we could shimmy on back to the premise of the thread. 
I'm not sure yet whether it's going to be people listing debuts or if we're going to talk about the conditions and surroundings of debuts we consider to be the peak of X band, but I'll wait a wee bit before I chug it over to 'lists'.

As for my own suggestions I might not have any other reason than the obvious: imo they never released a better album. But an advantage a debuting band has with their first album is coming out of nowhere without expectations to meet and all that. I would imagine shoulders are lower, energy is higher and the joy and thrill of just being in a studio (well, back in the day) getting to record an album, realizing your teenage dreams etc. can be heard and felt. Doesn't necessarily mean it'll always turn out great of course, but a band can probably never get that kind of rush or sense of innocence back.

This is very true. I often talk about how much I adore the naive in music - the teen rebel "geist" that you often get from debuts.......but yes: sometimes it works - other times perhaps not so much.
NEU!s debut is one of my absolute favourite albums full stop - and it perfectly illustrates the naive and almost childlike coming to effect through the music. It's so simple and unassuming, yet it works (probably also because there are so many layers, when you first get past the overt two or three note 'melody'. There's so much more going down, it's unreal).
75 on the other hand mixes the naiveness of the debut with intermittent post-punk anthems a la Bowie, which by no means are bad, but they ruin the flow of things and thus leaves the debut that more towering. There's a fluid feel there they never succeeded in reproducing.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2014 at 09:38

As thrilling as this little derailment has been, then I think it's probably best if we could shimmy on back to the premise of the thread. 
I'm not sure yet whether it's going to be people listing debuts or if we're going to talk about the conditions and surroundings of debuts we consider to be the peak of X band, but I'll wait a wee bit before I chug it over to 'lists'.

As for my own suggestions I might not have any other reason than the obvious: imo they never released a better album. But an advantage a debuting band has with their first album is coming out of nowhere without expectations to meet and all that. I would imagine shoulders are lower, energy is higher and the joy and thrill of just being in a studio (well, back in the day) getting to record an album, realizing your teenage dreams etc. can be heard and felt. Doesn't necessarily mean it'll always turn out great of course, but a band can probably never get that kind of rush or sense of innocence back.
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2014 at 09:27
I'm having a very hard time thinking of bands - prog or not - whose first record was their best.

I'm going to have to return later and edit this post.
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
thwok View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2014 at 09:18
Are we limiting this forum strictly to prog bands?  If not, any one with a real fondness or nostalgia for the 80's should check out The Cars first album.  It's definitely the best in my opinion.
I am the funkiest man on the planet!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2014 at 09:18
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2014 at 09:14
I agree. Tiny Tim was the best.  That triple CD set released some years back was one of the greatest albums I have ever heard.
rotten hound of the burnie crew
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2014 at 09:04
Originally posted by NutterAlert NutterAlert wrote:

Tiny Tim was awesome. surely a influence for NU metal? He did not waste quite as much talent and electrictity at IoW '70 as ELP and was equally impressive.

No Nutter Alert without I'm a Nut (no Sympathy For The Devil without Stay Down Here Where You Belong)

He was a visionary but don't blame him for NU metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DEoOdcYKbc 

(see signature)
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2014 at 09:02

Tiny Tim was awesome. surely a influence for NU metal? He did not waste quite as much talent and electrictity at IoW '70 as ELP and was equally impressive.
LOL
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2014 at 08:59
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

<span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2;">(...)</span>
<span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2;"></span>
<span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2;">Heart  - Dreamboat Annie</span>
Dr. John - Gris Gris
Eurythmics - In the Garden
Yello - Solid Pleasure
Modern English - Mesh & Lace
New Order - Movement
(...)
Tiny Tim - God Bless Tiny Tim
(...)

^ Not in PA, i.e. not prog.

I didn't know PA had rules about not mentioning bands/albums not included in the archive. I'm fully aware these aren't considered prog but the opening poster didn't specify it had to be, so I simply wrote down the ones I could think of. Anyway had all these bands continued in the style of their debut they might actually have been here somewhere. Yes, even Tiny Tim.
<span style="line-height: 17.454545974731445px;">(...)</span>

Yea, the OP does not mention *prog* in the topic title, but this topic is posted in Prog Music Lounge. 
I don't care really if you're going to mention non-prog (i.e. not in PA) debut albums if you like to do so, but if the OP wanted the lists of non-prog debut albums, the topic would be in General Music discussions - where the topic have to go as per PA rules if the others start to follow your example and to post their favorite non-prog debut albums, and it certainly wasn't the OP desires. Get it?

I am always amused by posters who rigidly demand that a certain format be adhered to, but then disregard spamming policies in the same thread, even after admonishments from admins.
Actually, in the case that I mentioned these six non-prog debut albums in this thread, I would just get a warning by someone not to mention non-prog albums in this thread.
I'm surprised that I have not yet warned 'cause of mention The Doors, because The Doors are in PA proto-prog section.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2014 at 08:46

I would say Svetonio's first post was pertinent, but the rest were offal. (...)

Fish RIsing, and/or The Doors are "offal" for you? Give me a break!

Talk about someone unclear on the concept! Again, I bemoan modern reading comprehension, or lack thereof, that requires smiley or winking emoticons to detect sarcasm.

Besides, I don't consider the Doors' first album to be their best album; although it is an impressive freshman release.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
NutterAlert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2014 at 08:45
Proud to be an un-banned member since 2005
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2014 at 08:38

I would say Svetonio's first post was pertinent, but the rest were offal. (...)

Fish RIsing, and/or The Doors are "offal" for you? Give me a break!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2014 at 08:38

<span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2;">(...)</span>
<span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2;"></span>
<span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2;">Heart  - Dreamboat Annie</span>
Dr. John - Gris Gris
Yello - Solid Pleasure
New Order - Movement
(...)
(...)

I didn't know PA had rules about not mentioning bands/albums not included in the archive. I'm fully aware these aren't considered prog but the opening poster didn't specify it had to be, so I simply wrote down the ones I could think of. Anyway had all these bands continued in the style of their debut they might actually have been here somewhere. Yes, even Tiny Tim.
<span style="line-height: 17.454545974731445px;">(...)</span>

Yea, the OP does not mention *prog* in the topic title, but this topic is posted in Prog Music Lounge. 
I don't care really if you're going to mention non-prog (i.e. not in PA) debut albums if you like to do so, but if the OP wanted the lists of non-prog debut albums, the topic would be in General Music discussions - where the topic have to go as per PA rules if the others start to follow your example and to post their favorite non-prog debut albums, and it certainly wasn't the OP desires. Get it?

I am always amused by posters who rigidly demand that a certain format be adhered to, but then disregard spamming policies in the same thread, even after admonishments from admins.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2014 at 08:32
Another aspect of just posting a pic of an album cover is that, many of them don't have the artists name on the front. I'm certainly not the only one not being familiar with every album from every artist listed in PA. Which makes those posts of no interest at all.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2014 at 08:28
^Yes I get it, but i just don't care the way you seem to
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2014 at 08:25

(...)

Heart  - Dreamboat Annie
Dr. John - Gris Gris
Yello - Solid Pleasure
New Order - Movement
(...)

(...)

I didn't know PA had rules about not mentioning bands/albums not included in the archive. I'm fully aware these aren't considered prog but the opening poster didn't specify it had to be, so I simply wrote down the ones I could think of. Anyway had all these bands continued in the style of their debut they might actually have been here somewhere. Yes, even Tiny Tim.

(...)

Edited by Svetonio - August 26 2014 at 08:29
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2014 at 08:12
I would say Svetonio's first post was pertinent, but the rest were offal. I guess that makes him a one-hit wonder.

As far as initial album releases that were great but the rest of a band's output being mediocre, isn't that par for the course in the recording industry? The path of music history is strewn with the detritus of performers who blew their wad on one release.

Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2014 at 07:38
Thumbs Up
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2014 at 07:35

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

WTF?Confused

Definitely not the kind of communication I was hoping for, but then again what the feck do I know...
Ever felt ignored?

Occasionally yesLOL 
Then again, I don't expect to get any response from Svetonio. He is mad at me for calling him out for what he is, and yes at times I've been extremely pissed off which my posts probably reflected. What people are unaware of, are the well mannered and friendly mails it all started out with. Simple and kind suggestions on how to behave on a public forum, and something as bizarre as common courtesy. Respecting the people you frequent on this board enough to spare them of your endless spamming, and maybe taking the time out to listen to what others have to say for a change.
Maybe it's just me and the way I was brought up, but when I see patterns of continuously ignoring your surroundings, I get extremely frustrated. 
I'm with you in this case. He's now resorted to posting endless thumbs up instead.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2014 at 07:12

Kevin Ayers - Joy of a Toy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>