Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDid Punk Rock really kill Prog Music?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 2.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 10:56
Punk was definitely a backlash to the excesses of some prog bands (and Rick Wakeman probably more than anyone).

Punks wanted to get away from the "you must have studied at the RCM and be able to solo for 10 minutes in at least 5 different time signatures" mentality and made music that anyone could make despite a complete lack of talent or training. They were often unsuccessful in life, alienated from the rich and successful, and they wanted to administer an offensive gesture to the rest of the world. Often by spitting on them, as I recall.

Did punk kill prog? To some extent, but not without a lot of help from prog itself.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 10:58
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

But did Punk Rock really kill off Progressive Rock
No
So, does anyone care to set the record straight then?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 11:08

No

What?
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 11:12
Most of this thesis stems from pictures like this
talk about a feather turning into 10 chickens.
... like Steve explained, Punk as a 'movement' or 'style' very quickly went away - or in most cases metamorphosed to something more elaborate, in some even mimicking the same sort of experimentation as you'd encounter in prog. Today we call this post-punk, but what that really means is basically just what came in the wake of those early Chuck Berry-at-the-speed-of-light acts. 
I grew up with a lot of old punkers - folks who were there from the very beginning - and none of em can relate to the stories they've read about the history of their much adored music. Most of them say that the history of punk was and continues to be written by people with rose-tinted glasses who never lived it. 

As for why prog 'went away'. It had played itself out imo. It branched into new territories like RIO and the avantguarde scenes....in some cases even bridging punk and itself with acts like Here & Now and Cardiacs. Anyways, I gather most of the genuine progressive rock by that time (77-78) were delivered by bands such as Chrome, Suicide, Pere Ubu and The Fall - all acts who widely are considered part of the post-punk scene. They were now the pioneers of rock - the very people pushing the envelope....just like Yes and Genesis had done 7 or 8 years earlier.....only by 77 Prog Rock had turned quite predictable and caricature-like. 

Either way, we, the audiences, just stopped listening to and buying prog albums. Had we(I wasn't born though) kept on buying them - we would probably still be listening to Roundabout on the radio.....but we don't.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 11:16

No

Mmmm, are you intimating that these members, by their posts, may be a bit misled?
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 11:24
I think he's suggesting that we've had this discussion many many times beforeWink

...and that he's already said what he wanted to say in either of those threads.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 11:27

No

Mmmm, are you intimating that these members, by their posts, may be a bit misled?
I intimate nothing. I post these links to where this subject has been discussed to death in the past. Read them at your leisure. The consensus in these threads is generally that the answer is "No"

One of them is a Poll, this is the result:
Poll ChoiceVotesPoll Statistics
15 [22.73%]
41 [62.12%]
10 [15.15%]

What?
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 11:28
Punk did not kill prog, it was just pushed out of the mainstream and into the underground, where it has simply grown organically forever since, far from the shining light of the petty media that did a lot to mock it in 1977-1978. The music press was brutal (NME, MM, Creem, Trouser Press, RS and many more) in particular that scumbag Lester Bangs. Even local journalist were nasty (In Montreal, Rodriguez and Mann).  
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 12:07

No

Funny: I'm younger than you, but I'm also fed up with these debates. Dead

Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 12:18

No

Dean? Intimate? Only with his wife. 
Wink

I'd agree with the statement that one genre can't kill another. In fact, the idea that a genre can "die" is pretty vague. Does it mean that few or no people are making prog right now? Does it mean that few or no people are making good prog right now? Does it mean that few or no people are listening to prog right now? Where is the line that, when crossed, indicates the death of a genre? 

Really, you just have people in this equation: people who create music and people who listen to that music. If the death of prog means a decline in popularity among listeners, it's simplistic to insinuate that only a small fraction the first group was primarily responsible for the mass choices of the latter group regarding a completely disparate musical movement. There were lots of musical movements to distract (disco was mentioned), lots of different kinds of listeners, changes in prog itself. The best, simplest statement that can accurately be made is, "the times change, man." Smoke
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 12:49

This is a new thread?

Yes, Video killed Prog.  I am imagining all this Prog music I keep on listening to (made post 1976) .
Help me I'm falling!
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 13:48
In my country, punk and new wave were destroyed Yugoslav progressive rock as much as they could. It was a really big hysteria. The rock journalists in the national press who were writing whole series about the prog bands, during overnight they changed their clothes, got a haircut and went to celebrate the punk crowd. Well-know Yugoslavian film director was even made a film titled The Promising Boy (1981) about the punk rocker(s) in Belgrade. In the film, there were starring both well-know Yugoslavian actors and these punk rockers who were already the stars in alternative venues and in zines at that time. Aside of documentaries films about the punk rock, "The Promising Boy" was one of the first feature films about the punk aesthetic ever made.

(English subtitles)

Of course, the great bands like SMAK and LEB I SOL were keep their fans, there wasn't any problem with that, but the punk (post-punk, new wave) destroyed any desire of upcoming, young bands to play anything else than punk, post-punk and new wave. And that was the worst thing actually.

Yugoslavian post-punk rockers were released some excellent albums in the genre, but the final consequences of that devastation from 80s are evident even today. Although prog as a genre is already rehabilitated - thanks to Prog Metal - the organizers of the gigs of foreign bands rarely organized concerts of progressive bands; it's easy to understand when you consider that as "trend setters" & hipsters as well, they belong to the generation that grew up listening to punk and new wave only. So they organize the gigs of mostly punk rock bands, garage rock bands from mostly Detroit scene, also they like to bring here a lot of americana, some new blues artists, grunge, Exit Festival in Novi Sad is "reserved" for British alt.rock acts which no one listens in Serbia but the festival get a lot audience from UK and that's all. Of course, except of gala events as the concerts of the legends as well, e.g. Peter Gabriel who played So in its entirety. 

However, it seems that it's gonna to be changed. At the recent concert of Belgrade's progressive electronic artist
WO0, I've heard that very young local kids say the word "prog" with a high respect.

Edited by Svetonio - September 03 2014 at 03:09
altaeria View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 13:53

I didn't read all the responses above... 

but I'm fairly certain that the universally accepted answer is:  

the combination of RUSH's 2112 back cover photo  and  Rick Wakeman on Ice.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 14:35

No

I intimate nothing. I post these links to where this subject has been discussed to death in the past. Read them at your leisure. The consensus in these threads is generally that the answer is "No"
One of them is a Poll, this is the result:
<table ="tableBorder" align="center" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="3" style="width: 981.8181762695313px; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-size: 11.818181991577148px; line-height: 13.09090805053711px;"><t><tr ="tableTopRow"><td width="47%" nowrap="">Poll Choice</td><td width="6%" align="center" nowrap="">Votes</td><td width="47%">Poll Statistics</td></tr><tr ="ableRow"><td><label for="P62890">Yes (big enough to kill prog)</label></td><td align="center">15</td><td ="smText" nowrap=""> [22.73%]</td></tr><tr ="oddTableRow"><td><label for="P62891">No (apart from a few weirdos I hardly noticed it)</label></td><td align="center">41</td><td ="smText" nowrap=""> [62.12%]</td></tr><tr ="ableRow"><td><label for="P62892">Other</label></td><td align="center">10</td><td ="smText" nowrap=""> [15.15%]</td></tr></t></table>
I've read these posts before posting this present one. Funny how the old poll and the present responses don't match up. If I had to guess, I would say it's because we have the term Neo Progressive which sprang up in the mid eighties that I'm sure would signify an end or at least a break in Progressive Rock music (if not, then why have it?) and the fact that King Crimson reformed with a New Wave aesthetic to go along with the band's new idea of prog, along with other factors that would imply an end to Progressive Rock or at least a serious depletion of it's ideals.

Edited by SteveG - September 02 2014 at 14:58
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 14:38
Did the term Neo-Prog spring up in the mid-80s?
What?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 14:53
^Does it matter when you declare someone dead?
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 14:58
No but Video did kill the Radio Star in the 80s Wink .
Prog never died , neither did punk. 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 15:00
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

Then why have Neo Prog? (and where's Iain? BTW?)

Edited by SteveG - September 02 2014 at 15:00
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 15:17

Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

Then why have Neo Prog? (and where's Iain? BTW?)
It wasn't dead, it was pining for the fjords.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 15:22
For myself, I never heard of Neo-Prog as a term until I joined PA. Like some others have said, I don't think the strength of Punk was that great where I lived. It may have been different elsewhere. Rush did fine in the 70s. Zappa did fine in the 70s. Others did too, and, although I do think there was a overall fall from a golden age, I don't like the idea that it played itself out. To me, what changed was that the 68-74 batch of Prog bands were spawned by an underground that was no longer functioning to replenish the vitality of the genre. More arena bookings helped Yes, ELP, Genesis and others. They weren't helping Prog overall as a genre.

Edited by HackettFan - September 02 2014 at 15:28
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>