Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDid Punk Rock really kill Prog Music?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 2.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
CryoftheCarrots View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 22:16
I didn't know it had died!
I kept buyin' & listenin' !  Where were you guys?Wink
"There is a lot in this world to be tense and intense about"

MJK
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 13:17
I think poor little punk gets a bad rap for prog's diminishing returns. I think it should be stated that not only progressive music peaked in about 1973 but so did progressive life in general. That is the year when the whole world's economic structures were manipulated. In the US Richard Nixon took the currency off the gold standard, debts from war and decades of frivolous spending had caught up. This year marked the decline of the good life as had been known and from that point on it would become harder and harder for one member of the family to support the rest. More women entered the workforce and work hours became longer and longer to make ends meet. In effect, the capitalists had usurped any social safety net structures and began dismantling them.

Progressive rock is a "luxury" type of music. It demands free time to create and consume. As time went on people had less and less time to invest in such complexities and settled for simpler and easier to access music. Also the educational system peaked about then in the US any way and it appears to me that progressive music attracts the educated types and as the public became dumbed down so did the popular music. I would argue that punk and disco were not the cause of prog's demise but rather a symptom of society in general. As the masses became less sophisticated, prog just seemed like some pie-in-the-sky nonsense that didn't deliver their emotional state of the times.

Yadda yadda but you get my drift. Don't forget that prog never died, it only took a nap and creativity comes from the dreamscapes during a siesta. The combo effect of all the aforementioned and the fact that the big bang of prog in the early 70s meant that descpite its siesta beginning in the late 70s that there was more than enough produced in a short time to nourish our prog souls for decades to come. Even those who have thousands of reviews on this site have not heard every single band or album and there is probably still a huge treasure trove of music out there that never saw the light of day at the time or only shortly so.

Also, music travels in waves. New generations always reject what came directly before and opt for something in total controdiction. It's not like prog was ever the top dog. Art rock, pop, hard blues and country were always more popular. It's always been an underground sorta music that just happened to step into the scene and get noticed at a certain time. I'm grateful it did but can't say i don't like some of the other musical genres that took its place.
Unitron View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 09:55
I don't think Punk had anything to do with prog 'dying'. In fact, I don't think prog has ever died. A lot of Progressive rock bands were still going strong in the late seventies and eighties. Rush, Pink Floyd, King Crimson and a lot of newer bands were rising like IQ, Pendragon, Pallas. Heavy metal was also keeping progressive sounds in their music, Iron Maiden, Rainbow, Black Sabbath, and many other bands were doing well.

Just because Yes, Genesis, and those bands chose to go into a more commercial style, you can't blame it on a whole genre. Certain punk bands even had progressive influences in their music like Siouxsie and the Banshees. Also, we should always be happy to see bands experimenting and not wanting them to be the exact same thing. For example, I loved 'Momentary Lapse of Reason', I'm glad Pink Floyd didn't just make another 'Dark Side'.

Sorry if I ranted too much Tongue  
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 14:48
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Originally posted by MellotronGhost MellotronGhost wrote:

Prog did appear to be past its best - although Genesis were becoming neo-prog during this period until Abacab in 81 when they morphed again and became a pop band. However, this hiatus ended when IQ came along in 85 and brought us their debut The Wake. Since then, neo-prog has got better and better. Stand outs are Seven by Magenta in 2004, Posthumous Silence by Sylvan in 2006 and On The Road by Minor Giant in 2014. There is so much high quality prog around now - it makes me glad to be alive!
Sorry but The Wake was not their debut, that was Tales From The Lush Attic. And Marillion had started it all with their EPs for Grendel, Three Boats etc which would culminate in Script For A Jester's Tear.

Erm, just to be even more pedantic, Grendel was the b side of Market Square Heroes.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 14:30
Punk rock killed Sid Vicious! 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 14:23

Prog did appear to be past its best - although Genesis were becoming neo-prog during this period until Abacab in 81 when they morphed again and became a pop band. However, this hiatus ended when IQ came along in 85 and brought us their debut The Wake. Since then, neo-prog has got better and better. Stand outs are Seven by Magenta in 2004, Posthumous Silence by Sylvan in 2006 and On The Road by Minor Giant in 2014. There is so much high quality prog around now - it makes me glad to be alive!
Sorry but The Wake was not their debut, that was Tales From The Lush Attic. And Marillion had started it all with their EPs for Grendel, Three Boats etc which would culminate in Script For A Jester's Tear.
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 10:38
Progression killed Prog, Stagnation killed Punk   
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 08:48
The Punk Rock scene developed attitudes. Attitudes that reflected upon how a musician played their instrument. In the early to mid 70's, there were all these bands playing a gymnastic style on their instruments, but when Punk invaded the world...it felt as if a band could stand on stage and give off the vibe...'Hey..look at us, we suck" and the younger generation of that time thought it was cool. Eventually it became the "in" thing to make fun of geeks who played their instruments well. I watched this happen as I traveled the road in the music business. However.....I don't feel that Punk Rock destroyed Prog. I believe the industry desired to cash in on Prog for a second time by forcing the bands to write in a more Pop style. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 15:26
^ Jerry lee Lewis said that if you're not having fun in rock&roll, you're doing something wrong.

Edited by SteveG - September 03 2014 at 15:51
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 15:22
Quite a few fun tangents though.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 15:19
^Right. Enough fooling around. Back to serious business.

Edited by SteveG - September 03 2014 at 15:21
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 15:16
I think this is getting needlessly messianic.

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 15:15
^I am Prog thy god. Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 15:13
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^ I am one of the Barbarian Goths. Angry Kneel before me, heathen.Bowdown

In thy name of Prog I shall not!!

Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 15:04
Originally posted by Archeus Archeus wrote:

Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

On the other hand,"..Most pure metals are either too soft, brittle or chemically reactive for
practical use. Combining different ratios of metals as alloys modifies
the properties of pure metals to produce desirable characteristics...."-- wikipoopia

Clap
In all seriousness, these bands will have to move beyond the throaty vocals like Opeth has and come up with something new musically that Neo Prog and other 30 plus year old genres have failed to do, and that will not be easy but at least they have a chance.
Archeus View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 14:48

On the other hand,

"..Most pure metals are either too soft, brittle or chemically reactive for practical use. Combining different ratios of metals as alloys modifies the properties of pure metals to produce desirable characteristics...."

-- wikipoopia

Clap
What about dogs? What about cats? What about chickens?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 14:40

Well said.

Edited by SteveG - September 03 2014 at 14:40
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 14:36

On the other hand,"..Most pure metals are either too soft, brittle or chemically reactive for
practical use. Combining different ratios of metals as alloys modifies
the properties of pure metals to produce desirable characteristics...."-- wikipoopia

I concur Mein Herr. That's why soft brittle metal must be infused with strong prog to form a superior form of music.

Edited by SteveG - September 03 2014 at 19:43
MellotronGhost View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 14:36
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 14:34
On the other hand,

"..Most pure metals are either too soft, brittle or chemically reactive for practical use. Combining different ratios of metals as alloys modifies the properties of pure metals to produce desirable characteristics...."

-- wikipoopia

-Kehlog Albran
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>