Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDid Punk Rock really kill Prog Music?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 2.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 04:01
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

Prog killed itself...

This.

PWEI - Prog will eat itself.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 07:34
Originally posted by freyacat freyacat wrote:

You can't just say that one form of music came and destroyed another form of music. The music by itself doesn't do anything. Rather, the fans changed. Robert Fripp noted that in the sixties, fans expected rock music to be the "voice of god." Progressive rock tried to live up to that by being a voice worth listening to. But it was incredibly idealistic, and I think it was hard to keep that idealism up forever. Midway through the seventies, I think everyone realized that it took more than a record to change the world, and the whole generation got a little older, stopped sitting in front of their record players all day, got jobs, and had kids. Meanwhile, a subsequent generation wanted to distinguish itself. It couldn't get more complex and idealistic, so it opted for image (disco) and attitude (punk). The pretension of the punks was that they were more "authentic" than the prog rockers. In retrospect, this was just another marketing ploy.

For all the torrents of verbiage that have been produced about this subject on PA I think this is the closest anyone has come to nailing it. Clap
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 08:21
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Prog Music, The Barbarians and the Fall of the Roman Empire.

I like relate present day things to past events or institutions. It gives me a reference for modern events. I always seem to be relating Progressive Rock to the Fall of the Western Roman Empire in 476 C.E. Not that Prog has or will fall but the feeling or impression seems the same to me.

The golden Era of Rome was well past when the old Empire was split into the latin speaking Western Empire still ruled by an Emperor in Rome and the Greek speaking Eastern Empire ruled by it's own Emperor in Costantinople (modern day Istanbul, Turkey). The Western Roman Empire was at first involved with multiple wars with barbarian Goths to the north and east, Huns to the North West and Vandals that had captured all of the Empire's Northern African colonies.

After a period of slow decline added by civil wars, the Barbarians had come to win victories against the Western Romans and had risen to positions of power within the Western Empire. Right up to the Emperor's court, including high ranking military commanders.

Can you recognise the "Barbarians" that have reached within Progressive Music's court?
Ermm Or how about rock becoming prog rock being signified the rise of Julius Caesar and the abolition of the Roman Republic? Or how about rock music, including prog, being the barbarians that ravaged the empire of classical music that, obviously, we should all be extolling? 

The barbarian comparison is a little hyperbolic methinks. Punk musicians and fans weren't uneducated or unthinking (nor did they raid villages), they just made and listened to (respectively) comparatively simpler music. 
Fair enough. But it always amazes me on how people focus on the form of a question instead of focusing on the answer to the question and that, Good Sir, is not hyperbole.

And despite their stereotype, most barbarians were not uneducated, did not raid villages to start off with (save the Huns) and were far from unthinking. Most people I know, and probably yourself, are a descendent of some form of European Germanic or Nordic 'barbarian' culture or tribes.

Edited by SteveG - September 03 2014 at 08:30
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 08:22
As many said before, it was a combination of factors. As many other genres, what we call prog survived, like jazz, classical, etc, due to the fact that is music to be appreciated. Genres like disco and others did not have such luck, due to the fact that substantially, the music did not have very much to offer, nor did it contribute to the development of music itself. 
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 08:36

I like relate present day things to past events or institutions. It gives me a reference for modern events. I always seem to be relating Progressive Rock to the Fall of the Western Roman Empire in 476 C.E. Not that Prog has or will fall but the feeling or impression seems the same to me.

The golden Era of Rome was well past when the old Empire was split into the latin speaking Western Empire still ruled by an Emperor in Rome and the Greek speaking Eastern Empire ruled by it's own Emperor in Costantinople (modern day Istanbul, Turkey). The Western Roman Empire was at first involved with multiple wars with barbarian Goths to the north and east, Huns to the North West and Vandals that had captured all of the Empire's Northern African colonies.

After a period of slow decline added by civil wars, the Barbarians had come to win victories against the Western Romans and had risen to positions of power within the Western Empire. Right up to the Emperor's court, including high ranking military commanders.

Can you recognise the "Barbarians" that have reached within Progressive Music's court?
Ermm Or how about rock becoming prog rock being signified the rise of Julius Caesar and the abolition of the Roman Republic? Or how about rock music, including prog, being the barbarians that ravaged the empire of classical music that, obviously, we should all be extolling? 

The barbarian comparison is a little hyperbolic methinks. Punk musicians and fans weren't uneducated or unthinking (nor did they raid villages), they just made and listened to (respectively) comparatively simpler music. 
Fair enough. But it always amazes me on how people focus on the form of a question instead of focusing on the answer to the question and that, Good Sir, is not hyperbole.
Was "no" not direct enough? Tongue

Unless you mean the one about recognize the Barbarians reaching within Prog's "court." You kind of have to agree with the comparison to answer the question, and I don't quite. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 08:43

And despite their stereotype, most barbarians were not uneducated, did not raid villages to start off with (save the Huns) and were far from unthinking. Most people I know, and probably yourself, are a descendent of some form of European Germanic or Nordic 'barbarian' culture or tribes.
I agree (village-raid jokes aside), and I don't necessarily love the Roman Empire either, but what was your comparison supposed to mean then? My main problem with the question is that it seemed to set up the idea that punk was inferior to prog, because many people view barbaric cultures as inferior to Empires considered ripe with cultural advancement, and to answer it seemed to require that I agree with that assessment. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 08:44
^Would Death growls in a prog song not qualify as a 'barbarian' influence?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 08:46

Was "no" not direct enough? Tongue

Unless you mean the one about recognize the Barbarians reaching within Prog's "court." You kind of have to agree with the comparison to answer the question, and I don't quite. 
Would Death growls not qualify as a 'barbarian' infuence? Perhaps I should have said Prog of the present.

Edited by SteveG - September 03 2014 at 08:47
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 08:47
^We're talking about metal now? Confused

Edited by Polymorphia - September 03 2014 at 08:56
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 08:47
How did we get here?  I'm lost.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 08:50

^We're talking about metal now? Confused
We are talking about one of Progressive Music's popular sub genres, Extreme Technical Prog Metal. It's listed in PA. I assure you.

Edited by SteveG - September 03 2014 at 08:54
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 08:52
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I compared modern day prog to the later Roman Empire by saying it had 'barbarian' influences. Which is not always a bad thing.

Edited by SteveG - September 03 2014 at 08:53
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 09:03

The Barbarian Goths are coming to eat your sanity from your mind!!

Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 09:06
^ I am one of the Barbarian Goths. Angry Kneel before me, heathen.Bowdown

Edited by SteveG - September 03 2014 at 09:24
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 09:07

^We're talking about metal now? Confused
We are talking about one of Progressive Music's popular sub genres, Extreme Technical Prog Metal. It's listed in PA. I assure you.
I could call growls barbaric when they're intentionally used to create such an image, and they often are in regular death metal (not in Ex/Tech, though?). Punk, on the other hand, is less comparable to barbaric cultures. The only comparison I can think of is that it's simpler and not quite as ornate as prog. But I don't want to place genres in enmity with one another. I like prog, I like punk, I like metal. I don't want to think of prog as anything superior to the other music I listen to.

Edited by Polymorphia - September 03 2014 at 09:09
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 09:08

I compared modern day prog to the later Roman Empire by saying it had 'barbarian' influences. Which is not always a bad thing.
I guess I need to read back further and see what I missed, but that makes it a little clearer.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 09:13

I could call growls barbaric when they're intentionally used to create such an image, and they often are in regular death metal (not in Ex/Tech, though?). Punk, on the other hand, is less comparable to barbaric cultures. The only comparison I can think of is that it's simpler and not quite as ornate as prog. But I don't want to place genres in enmity with one another. I like prog, I like punk, I like metal. I don't want to think of prog as anything superior to the other music I listen to.
Not at all. I welcome outside influences that were once thought of being perhaps a bit crude by some people to be in prog. I'm far from a snob and like Ex/Tech prog metal. The barbarians in late Rome gave it it's last rise to prominence, but again that's a comparison that probably only makes sense to me. LOL And some EX/Tech groups like Cynic did employ growls at one time and others still do.

Edited by SteveG - September 03 2014 at 19:40
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 09:40

Not at all. I welcome outside influences that were once thought of being perhaps a bit crude by some people to be in prog. I'm far from a snob and like Ex/Tech prog metal. The barbrians in late Rome give it it's last rise to prominence, but again that's a comparison that probably only makes sense to me. LOL And some EX/Tech groups like Cynic did employ growls at one time and others still do.
I'm just referring to the image it evokes. Death metal and black metal often draw from Nordic cultures— actual barbarians. I wouldn't think of Cynic and Between the Buried and Me to be attempting to create that image with growls, but I guess influence obviously exists from the more "barbaric" metal bands. Anyway, I get your comparison now. But I'm still wondering how it fits into the scheme of the discussion. Are you referring to Extreme/tech metal as that last surge of popularity for prog?
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 09:49
This thread officially got awesome just for the sake of observing the comments now LOL.
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 09:55

Not at all. I welcome outside influences that were once thought of being perhaps a bit crude by some people to be in prog. I'm far from a snob and like Ex/Tech prog metal. The barbrians in late Rome give it it's last rise to prominence, but again that's a comparison that probably only makes sense to me. LOL And some EX/Tech groups like Cynic did employ growls at one time and others still do.
I'm just referring to the image it evokes. Death metal and black metal often draw from Nordic cultures— actual barbarians. I wouldn't think of Cynic and Between the Buried and Me to be attempting to create that image with growls, but I guess influence obviously exists from the more "barbaric" metal bands. Anyway, I get your comparison now. But I'm still wondering how it fits into the scheme of the discussion. Are you referring to Extreme/tech metal as that last surge of popularity for prog?
IMHO, yes. Or at least prog metal in some form.

Edited by SteveG - September 03 2014 at 09:55
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>