Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 09:20
I can honestly say that if I write a Chamber Rock piece clocking in at 15 or 17 minutes, I am not always open to suggestions from musicians who want to change the form or structure of it. If they present an idea or 2 that can reflect in a positive way..what I have written..then so be it. But that's not exactly turning my back on their efforts. If the project consists of team work, I usually shut up and listen to instructions. Sometimes critics and musicians confuse the process of a specific writer who has the music planned out and refuses to change it with a different musician/writer who becomes insulted over it and bingo! He/She ends up being  the one with the overblown ego. Many musicians who have music pre-planned in it's entirety prior to recording it are serious about producing an idea. That shouldn't be confused with having an ego simply because another musician in the band (who apparently does not understand this composer's approach) , wants to change the music...and justify's the notion by accusing the composer of having a inflated ego. Street musicians often say..."If it's my baby then leave it alone"  It's simply a matter of observing the situation  before printing your own version of it in a magazine...which is my advice to rock journalists.

I don't know for sure if Genesis were on a mission to compete with Gabriel. Remember that Tony Banks was a fine writer anyway and perhaps it just appears that they may have been on a ego trip. Roger Waters stated in the past that if he had allowed Gilmour to change or re-arrange his work for Wish You Were Here, that the album would differ in musical style and possibly not be as appealing to the thousands of Floyd fans who know the songs and appreciate the end product. Of course the album would have sounded much different, but it's too late now and it would be like changing the composition on Sgt. Pepper 40 years later. The fans love what Waters contributed on W.Y.W.H. and any "what if' ..is not considered because so much time has exceeded. If fans were able to hear the album today with all the sections Gilmour had suggested over Waters ideas, they might dislike it. Or any Floyd album for that matter where Gilmour's ideas were taken over by Waters'.  On another note...if Gilmour had been allowed to inject all his sincere ideas between 75' to 82' ...would anyone truly know the difference? It's catch 22 or just a big mystery with a lot of what if's. At any rate, The ego's clashed in that particular case. 

When Fripp wrote the piece RED, Bruford didn't understand what to do with the piece and was not giving Fripp the musical balance he desired at that time. Even though the recording is appealing to members on P.A., Fripp truly didn't accomplish what he desired in the drum department until he recorded "Breathless". It's difficult to understand just how Fripp wanted RED to sound and evidently he settled for what we all hear on record, although he was personally disappointed in it.

Edited by TODDLER - September 19 2014 at 09:40
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 08:42

How do you think David Gilmour felt when he was dismissed, along with Nick Mason, By Roger Waters after the completion of Pink Floyd's The Final Cut? After years of recording Floyd's most brilliant guitar solos and lead vocals on so many Floyd songs, Waters just turned his back on him, forever. And what of Waters'? The great conceptual and lyrical side of Floyd? Did his ego cloud his judgement?When Peter Gabriel informed the other members of Genesis that he was leaving because he felt that he was "out growing' them, do you think that the rest of the group rallied together to produce an album that was just as good or better than previous albums with Gabriel? Was ego in the form of pride involved? Or was it just business as usual for the group?

On a lighter note I'll convey a well know American recording studio story about an assistent engineer named Ron Saint Germain that was given the unenviable task of editing a Hendrix/Band of Gypsys studio jam into a posthumous album track for the ill fated 1975 album Crash Landing. An excellent editing and "punch in" engineer, Saint Germain spent countless hours editing and tidying up Buddy Miles sloppy drum solo. As he was playing the track back over the studio monitors, Miles happened to walk in to the studio at the time and hearing his great "solo", smiled broadly at Saint Germain and said "Ain't I a mother______!" Saint Germain didn't have the heart to tell Miles how much work went into tightening up his sloppy solo and Miles walked out a happy man. (see Hendrix: Setting The Record Straight by John McDermott with Eddie Kramer. Pub.1992).

Ego.

But what exactly is the relationship between an artist's ego and the creation of his or her music? Is there or can there ever be a balance between the two? What do think about this special relationship?

Or have you never thought about it at all?

Edited by SteveG - September 19 2014 at 14:32
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123