Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenesis documentary

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2014 at 10:10
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I can see how Hackett could be upset, but his solo material is not well known or popular, seems essentially it was just a continuation of what he was doing in Genesis, but without them.

The very first album Steve Hackett did after leaving Genesis was Please Don't Touch. That album was as different as can be from Genesis. There is only one piece that sounds like Genesis, which is the title track. Spectral Mornings has quite an array of musical styles not heard on Genesis albums, including Japanese styled music and ragtime. Defector also has the same breadth of styles. Yes, it was the solo career most like spirit of Genesis simply because it was progressive and tinged with classical influences, but even the breadth of the classical styles were expanded. Till We Have Faces experiments with world music style percussion. He did whole albums that were nothing but classical guitar. He did whole albums that were of his compositions performed by an orchestra. He did a whole album of blues guitar (and not the typical Chicago style blues, more of a New Orleans style as I perceive it). The album Darktown had quite a bit of 90s style dissonances. To Watch the Storms and several albums thereafter continue the exploration of very diverse musical styles. True, his solo work was not well known or popular. However, his work with GTR was indeed so.

I agree with your Hackett visions, I connect with his scenario like I connect with Uli Jon Roth when he left Scorpions and began a solo career. The music Uli was creating was difficult for many Scorps fans to connect to, a lot of different styles incorporated.

I really enjoy Hackett's playing, musically and artistic ideas seems they grew apart, but I think it all works well in the end for all.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2014 at 22:59
^
crackedactor View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2014 at 06:30
Shame it didn't say or show anything new Cry
I'm a Highway Starrrr....oh yes i am..!!!!
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2014 at 16:08
This evening, as I usually do on a Saturday, I did the household ironing whilst listening to some music.

Tonight 's choice was Mr. Gabriel, and the Growing Up Live DVD, a marvellous concert. I take this view......if Gabriel had not left Genesis, then I, and millions of others, would not have been blessed with some of the most intelligent, emotional, and fine music ever to be played on this earth. Thank God he left.

Everything comes to an end. The hope is that the end moves on to something new and exciting. This man did, and a reunion would be utterly retrograde.

Edited by lazland - October 18 2014 at 16:09
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2014 at 16:16
Well said sir.

Gabriel's solo discography is wonderfully diverse, experimental, and intricate while staying wonderfully pleasant and accessible. Why would anyone take that from him or us? 

Plus i just think people don't look far enough past his first handful of albums. Up is one of my favorite crossover albums and Top 3 from Gabriel. I/O will be his next album with actually new material - 12 years so far since Up, hope it isn't much longer. 

Edited by Horizons - October 18 2014 at 16:18
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2014 at 03:32
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

This evening, as I usually do on a Saturday, I did the household ironing whilst listening to some music.

Tonight 's choice was Mr. Gabriel, and the Growing Up Live DVD, a marvellous concert. I take this view......if Gabriel had not left Genesis, then I, and millions of others, would not have been blessed with some of the most intelligent, emotional, and fine music ever to be played on this earth. Thank God he left.

Everything comes to an end. The hope is that the end moves on to something new and exciting. This man did, and a reunion would be utterly retrograde.

Funnily enough the idea they would ever record any new music has never crossed my mind. A reunion would only be interesting as an opportunity to see classic Genesis material performed live by the real line up. A few of us would be up for that I guessWink
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2014 at 09:19
we can wish but I knew it was never going to happen---new music is impossible as the 3 have said many times the 3 of them wrote music together easily---the more people in the group the harder it was. And a Lamb concert which was the intent---couldn't happen as Peter has said his voice is considerably lower today then when he was young--he could sing the part---which I think is true.Smile
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2014 at 16:04
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

we can wish but I knew it was never going to happen---new music is impossible as the 3 have said many times the 3 of them wrote music together easily---the more people in the group the harder it was. And a Lamb concert which was the intent---couldn't happen as Peter has said his voice is considerably lower today then when he was young--he could sing the part---which I think is true.Smile

odd as he completely re-recorded the vocals for the first Archive set ...and they sound good

Edited by richardh - October 19 2014 at 16:05
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456