Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRolling Stone discovers Genesis....FINALLY!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 23:23
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

^ OK, whatever makes the the mill wheel grind. Everything is subjective though Steve, even Lady Gaga and Dylan. I think Gaga's output in the last five years is a lot better than Dylan's, let's see how she will be faring in 30 years from now.... Pinch

Yeah, but he will be remembered as one of the best American Poets in the 20th century ... Lady Googoo is just another singer out there!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2014 at 01:13
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

^ As someone has already pointed out, Rollingstone was a mag whose editorial policy was directed to  Rock, not to Prog. Actually, RollingStone was one of the hystorical "fortress" of Rock purists. As you know, Rock purists were / are not like Prog. On the contrary, they hated our beloved genre no less than e.g. the fans of Punk. So I consider this RollingStone's article as a "rehabilitation" of Prog. Get it?

Nope but then that is hardly some in depth article about prog is it?

The late seventies/early eighties  was an absolute pain for me (and I imagine for many prog fans) but what I got used to was the fact that we could not rely on any rock magazines for decent articles about prog. In England there were a few decent journalists like Chris Welch but then he was probably considered some kind of dinosaur as well. The 90's though was very interesting as we saw a comeback of proper bands who wrote and produced their own songs. The 'plastic eighies' was no more. Prog suddenly made a comeback (especially in Scandinavia) and all this happened independently of magazines like RS. Anyway if RS ever writes a decent article about this and the history of prog please let me know.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2014 at 02:38
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

^ As someone has already pointed out, Rollingstone was a mag whose editorial policy was directed to  Rock, not to Prog. Actually, RollingStone was one of the hystorical "fortress" of Rock purists. As you know, Rock purists were / are not like Prog. On the contrary, they hated our beloved genre no less than e.g. the fans of Punk. So I consider this RollingStone's article as a "rehabilitation" of Prog. Get it?

(...) Prog suddenly made a comeback (especially in Scandinavia) (...)
...and also especially in Poland, Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, France, Spain, Portugal, USA, Mexico, Argentina, Peru and so on.

Edited by Svetonio - October 17 2014 at 03:15
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2014 at 09:01

Nope but then that is hardly some in depth article about prog is it?

The late seventies/early eighties  was an absolute pain for me (and I imagine for many prog fans) but what I got used to was the fact that we could not rely on any rock magazines for decent articles about prog. In England there were a few decent journalists like Chris Welch but then he was probably considered some kind of dinosaur as well. The 90's though was very interesting as we saw a comeback of proper bands who wrote and produced their own songs. The 'plastic eighies' was no more. Prog suddenly made a comeback (especially in Scandinavia) and all this happened independently of magazines like RS. Anyway if RS ever writes a decent article about this and the history of prog please let me know.
Hopefully, RS will know what geographical area is referred to as Scandinavia. They probably think that Anekendoten is a country.

Edited by SteveG - October 17 2014 at 09:18
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2014 at 09:08

...and also especially in Poland, Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, France, Spain, Portugal, USA, Mexico, Argentina, Peru and so on.

Just because a progressive album was released there, doesn't mean there is a "comeback" and the country is flourishing with popular prog bands.

Bandcamp albums from these places isn't quite the scale for this. 

Edited by Horizons - October 17 2014 at 09:09
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2014 at 09:13

That only works if they throw Lady Gaga, Fifty Cent and Beyonce out with the trash.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2014 at 09:17
Out of all shameful artists, you choose those?

Gaga is not half bad. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2014 at 09:19
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Out of all shameful artists, you choose those?

Gaga is not half bad. 
Gag me with a spoon.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2014 at 09:20
^But seriously, you're mising the point. As western music floats in, pop will always dominate.
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2014 at 09:23
Spoon can be pretty good. I like their "Girls Can Tell" album. Haven't heard their most recent stuff yet.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2014 at 09:24
^See. I told you that pop dominates.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2014 at 09:29
When I looked at it--for me the magazine was NEVER about music it was about popular culture, politics and it's award winning photos by the great Annie Leibowitz.Smile
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2014 at 09:32
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^But seriously, you're mising the point. As western music floats in, pop will always dominate.

Well of course, it is designed to. 

But that doesn't mean all pop is bad. Cool

Edited by Horizons - October 17 2014 at 09:32
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2014 at 11:03

(...)

LOL
What "bandcamp albums" means?
Nothing.
Bandcamp is nothing like e.g. ECM that to be something like a label & a genre in the same time.
It's not even a record label. It's a service. A service, such as DHL, Western Union and so on.
Also, there are a some prog oriented labels who sell great & highly rated prog albums and they use Bandcamp as same as self-signed artists as well, just because a better global service does not exist in this moment. When (if) some new service will be better than Bandcamp, it will be a "Bandcamp" then. As same as Bandcamp blew out Myspace as well.

Edited by Svetonio - October 17 2014 at 11:05
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2014 at 11:08

That only works if they throw Lady Gaga, Fifty Cent and Beyonce out with the trash.
Pop will always exist, in one form or another.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2014 at 11:13

(...)

LOL
Nothing.
Bandcamp is nothing like e.g. ECM that to be something like a label & a genre in the same time.
It's not even a record label. It's a service. A service, such as DHL, Western Union and so on.
Also, there are a some prog oriented labels who sell great & highly rated prog albums and they use Bandcamp as same as self-signed artists as well, just because a better global service does not exist in this moment. When (if) some new service will be better than Bandcamp, it will be a "Bandcamp" then. As same as Bandcamp blew out Myspace as well.

Missed my point - oh well. 
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2014 at 11:26

(...)

LOL
Nothing.
Also, there are a some prog oriented labels who sell great & highly rated prog albums and they use Bandcamp as same as self-signed artists as well, just because a better global service does not exist in this moment. When  will be better than Bandcamp, it will be a Bandcamp" then. As same as Bandcamp blew out Myspace as well.

Missed my point - oh well. 
You can to bet in a hard cash that I have not miss your point.
It was actually a very simple "puzzle" to figure out..

Edited by Svetonio - October 17 2014 at 11:27
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2014 at 15:02

Well of course, it is designed to. 

But that doesn't mean all pop is bad. Cool
I'm not sure if you're just pulling my leg, but I would rather that prog fans turn to other areas of rock before going into the land of dreaded pop. After actually typing that, I know you're pulling my leg. LOL

Edited by SteveG - October 17 2014 at 15:02
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2014 at 15:08
I read a Rolling Stone issue back in the 70s and never touched one again! Bunch of dilettante idiot elitists, who probably received more brown envelopes than any radio station ever did. Dead Ask me how I feel about Lester Bangs now! Big smile
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2014 at 15:25
The real shame of Charles post is that it shows that some contributors of RS are not ignorant of music outside of their sphere. These are probably muso writers that have gotten off on Genesis in their youth, but unfortunately in order to pay bills and purchase diapers, they have sold their artistic souls to the corporate devil. Can you imagine the effort it took for this contributor to get his editor to post this Genesis list?

But my first instinct will always dictate in this type of circumstance. Rolling Stone, where were you when we needed you?

Sorry, you're a dollar short and a day late.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>