Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Definitive Gear Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2016 at 11:45
Mellotron pedal Tongue

HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2016 at 10:02
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Mellotron pedal Tongue

Thank you. Hadn't heard of this yet. Mellotron sounds. EHX does it again. This is what happens when you have Santa Claus as CEO. I have the B9 Organ Machine and the Key9. I'm missing the C9, which I want very much for its Clavioline. The C9 will have to wait in line now for this one, though. I'm very excited about this.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2016 at 10:18
FYI, I get a real nice Mellotron string sound with Boss' SY300 Guitar Synthesizer. I'm out of town right now, but when I get back I'll check on the settings I used.

Post script: I used all three voices/"oscillators", selecting sawtooth. The second oscillator is fine tuned +5. The third is fine tuned to -5. The first oscillator used the PKG filter type with -24dB filter slope, a filter cutoff at 70 and filter resonance at 23. The second oscillator also used the PKG filter type, but with a -12dB filter slope, a cutoff again at 70 and resonance at 20. The third oscillator used a high pass filter with a -24dB filter slope, a filter cutoff at 60 and resonance at 20. I put slow gear on each oscillator independently using a different rise time for each (55, 70 and 40). Then reverb was added to everything using "ambience" selection. Voila! Very beautiful.

Edited by HackettFan - March 22 2016 at 10:26
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2016 at 10:37
^^ And you can plug a keyboard too... turning a really cheap keyboard into a Mellotron LOL I wonder if it works with vocals too, it's probably interesting singing with a Mellotron choir on background. The possibilities are endless Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2016 at 10:06
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^^ And you can plug a keyboard too... turning a really cheap keyboard into a Mellotron LOL I wonder if it works with vocals too, it's probably interesting singing with a Mellotron choir on background. The possibilities are endless Smile
Yeah, there's no latency because I don't think it attempts to trigger independent oscillators. But rather I presume it digitally processes the existing signal to model the sound of oscillators, and then does a whole bunch of extra stuff on top of that. It actually sounds slightly different depending on my pickup configuration. I'm willing to bet it would do interesting stuff with vocals. I'll have to try that myself.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2016 at 13:24
^ The guitar's tone probably has some effect on the Mellotron sound? Ermm Let me know the results Thumbs Up
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2016 at 15:20
I finally bought one of these:

It's my first analog synth and I'm surprised about how fast I'm learning to work with it.
DDPascalDD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2016 at 15:41
I just saw that mellotron pedal too and thought of buying it! Can anybody tell me if it works really well with a piano/keyboard?
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2016 at 19:19
^^  That looks pretty complicated to someone like me who's only used to six strings and a couple of knobs.
       Sounds like you're getting right into it, though. Thumbs Up
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 08:03
^^ I guess we'll have to wait for Todd's report.

^ True, although when you start playing with lots of pedals it can be complicated Tongue I already knew some of the basics from working with a digital synth and I tried a Moog VST once. I did the egg frying sound like "Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast" with pink noise yesterday, that was really funny LOL It's interesting how it can't reproduce real instruments (although the manual says that a certain configuration sounds like a saxophone... not even close LOL) but does some very realistic reproductions of ambient sounds.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 16:48
I ordered a Mel 9 through a local guitar store. A couple weeks ago. Incidentally, some time ago, the same guy, Bill Ruppert, showed how to do a couple famous Mellotron sounds with some existing EHX pedals:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PL234252C1DAAAAA5D&v=TJsZMMaPNuY

Also look at this EHX forum site for the exact settings:

http://www.ehx.com/forums/viewthread/1695/

Edited by HackettFan - April 18 2016 at 16:59
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2016 at 00:19
I have a Mel-9 now. It came in about a week ago. Very very wonderful.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2016 at 15:04
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Demo video, please!
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2016 at 20:08
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Demo video, please!
I've never done a YouTube vid before, though I've thought of doing one more than once before. Being behind the times in some tech areas, I'm not sure what production equipment is necessary or recommended. I'll inquire and follow up, though. An interesting tidbit all the demos I've seen have overlooked is that it is polyphonic, but only within a limited range that does not extend beyond two octaves, so some 9th chords won't come out as 9th chords unless one eliminates some of the lower notes. I'm not sure why since it processes the given signal rather than translating the pitch. Still more polyphonic than not polyphonic. Boss's SY-300 Guitar Synthesizer behaves the same way.

Edited by HackettFan - June 12 2016 at 20:13
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567