Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSongs that Epitomize Each Sub-genre

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2015 at 19:24
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

those proto Rush bands were far more interesting IMO.  Rush is popular yeah yeah yeah we all get that.. we all love the group to various degrees.. but heavy prog started with DP in the late 60's.  It was around, even perfected well before Rush were known to anyone outside of their immediately family man...

I agree!! Especially all these bands you guys are sharing with me that are totally new to me!

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2015 at 19:27
Originally posted by Sheavy Sheavy wrote:

For Prog Electronic, if time is an issue try these. Not sure I would say any of them exactly epitomize PE like any of the longer songs, but they are killer tracks.

Klaus Schulze - Frank Herbert

Tangerine Dream - 3A.M. At The Border Of The Marsh From Okefenokee

Kraftwerk -Trans Europa Express

Zanov - Machine Desperation

Jean Michel-Jarre - Oxygene Part One

Ose - L'Aube Jumelle

Harmonia - Watussi

Vangelis - Pulsar

Conrad Schnitzler - Black Nails

Igor Wakhevitch - Twilight And Call Of The Ascending Spirit

Gave about ten more songs than you asked for and much more of a varied sound than you asked for.

Awesome list! I only know about half of them (Jarre, Schnitzler, Schulze, TD, and Kraftwerk) so I'm excited to listen to the 'new' ones! THANKS!

Drew Fisher
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2015 at 19:58
Guess you didn't like my list Wink
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2015 at 20:00
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Stargazer was simply brilliant. Rising remains one of my favourite albums ever.

A tribute to RJD might well follow later.

Rising is one of my all time favorite albums & Stargazer is outstanding.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Sheavy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2015 at 20:01
^ @ brufordfreak. The songs by Schnitzler and Wakhevitch are there mostly because I could put them there. They really don't epitomize PE very well.

Edited by Sheavy - March 17 2015 at 20:02
Komandant Shamal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2015 at 06:16
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Avant/RIO - Frank Zappa Bogus Pomp

Crossover - Supertramp Breakfast In America

Canterbury - Robert Wyatt Little Red Riding Hood Hit The Road

Eclectic Prog - King Crimson The Talking Drum

Electronic - Tangerine Dream Movements Of A Visionary

Heavy Prog - Uriah Heep Salisbury

Jazz Rock - Steely Dan Aja

Jazz Fusion - Return to Forever Vulcan Worlds

Krautrock - Can Peking O

Prog Folk - Jethro Tull The Whistler

Progressive Psychedelia - Pink Floyd Alan Psychedelic Breakfast

RPI - Le Orme La fabbricante d'angeli

Space Rock- Steve Hillage Lunar Musick Suite

Symphonic Rock - Yes Heart of the Sunrise

Neo Prog - Genesis One For The Vine

Zeuhl - Magma Nebehr Guttahtt

Indo/Raga - Codona Codona

NeoClassical Prog - Sky Where Opposites Meet

Atmospheric - Brian Eno Music For Airports 2/1
-------

Proto Prog - Deep Purple Anthem
Prog Related - The Who Doctor Jimmy

That's an amazing list, comrade Svetonio! Clap "Heart Of The Sunrise" is probably the best proposal to portray symphonic prog. "Salisbury"(title track) as an example that have to describe clearly the 70s heavy prog is quite understandable. "The Talking Drum" is a perfect choice for eclectic prog  - i see that people tend to favour "Starless" - undoubtedly it is a great KC song but "Starless" could be a symph too because of a lot of melodic 'tron and that famous Fripp's melancholic guitar solo.
Though, i think that "Songs From The Wood" (title track) is without a real rivarly for a sample of prog folk. 

Edited by Komandant Shamal - March 18 2015 at 09:30
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2015 at 10:02
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Avant/RIO - Henry Cow - Living In The Heart Of The Beast (IPOL)
Crossover - Supertramp - Crime Of The Century (COTC) One of my top 5, to be sure!
Canterbury - Caravan - Winter Wine (ITLOG&P)
Eclectic - King Crimson - Starless (Red) Probably the one
Electronic - Tangerine Dream - Rubycon Pt1 (Rubycon) Perhaps a little to long (Probably shooting for ~10 mins.) mins.)
Heavy Prog - Atomic Rooster - Tomorrow Night (Death Walks ...) Yes! Under consideration!
Jazz Rock/Fusion - Return To Forever - Medieval Overture (Romantic Warrior) My fave but perhaps too acoustic.
Krautrock - Amon Duul II - Soap Shop Rock (Yeti) Cool! More appropriate than Can or Brainticket?
Psychedelic - Pink Floyd  - Astronomy Domine (PATGOD) Almost a given.
Prog Folk - Jethro Tull - Cross Eyed Mary (Aqualung) Rocks a bit too much for my designs.
RPI - PFM - Per Un Amico (Per Un Amico) Love this one but am leaning toward Banco's "Dopo..."
Space - Hawkwind - Brainstorm (Doremi Fasol Latido) Sorry (again) but Hawkwind doesn't do it for me.
Symphonic - Yes - Siberian Khatru (CTTE) Good and in my time range, and Yes should represent, but there are three or four Renaissance songs that are just too perfect....
Zeuhl - Magma - De Futura (Udu Wudu) YES! this is a great choice. Though the opener for MDK was my runaway sentimental choice, I may reconsider!

Not my favorites but what I'd pick as representative.
I appreciate your restraint! Awesome list! Don't know how I missed Page 2 !
Drew Fisher
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2015 at 11:02

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

^Do you even bother reading the OP before you post?
Drew is preparing to do a radio show where he seeks to enlighten his listeners with progressive music found in the different subs. He is merely asking us for recs from each of em to cover as much ground as possible. That's how I read it anyway, but you are of course free to believe whatever you want.

My comment was honest and not meant to be derogatory, but if you can not see anything else, you always point to the other person!

Going on the radio and "thinking" that you can "represent" a lot of music scenes is naive ... and probably silly. It's a nice idea, but not something that most folks will agree on, and in the end, he will likely put together song after song that do not gel properly or segue properly with each other, and end up turning off his audience instead of getting them excited about hearing something else.

NOW, if this was about songs from TODAY's BANDS that could be considered to approximate that particular description that is now used for a style or two, I think it would be much more interesting ... but I would agree, that is cheating on my part, because I have heard the older stuff ... but the older folks that liked most of this stuff were not into a singles/hit/song style of thing ... and it might turn them off.

Radio, is a finicky and strange place ... and a lot of folks "up there" love spending their time putting down the listeners, btw, for their uneducated tastes!

I would imagine that it would be far easier to just do his show, get attention towards it, and then find an audience because of his choices ... but if this is as dry as a dictionary or an encyclopaedia, I am not sure that he will get enough support beyond that which he can drum up!

Trust me, I got to see Space Pirate Radio get off the ground and into the air ... and while, in the end, it became fantastic, the rest that went around it was not exactly a party, and the effort was insane ... with the folks in the station even making fun of the music on top of it! For them it was not about the music, but the ego! And music that was not top ten was not considered music or worthy of attention ... and you live in that environment, right here, in a way.  That has not changed in 45 years!!!!!! Think about it!

All in all, if the gentleman is into the music itself, he will likely survive ... but it won't always be fun. But when he is looking for "examples", instead of him feeling out the music for himself, I am not sure that this is going to make it ... you need every bit of yourself in the 3rd and 4th and 5th and all the way to the umpteenth effort to make it, and when you are just feeling out "examples", you are merely making it look like you know the music, and you probably don't!

It's not about the "style" ... and I can say that Space Pirate Radio showed that 45 years ago! But for a top ten audience it is hard to discuss styles, but it can be done ... do you want to? ... can you do this week in and out without being repetitious? ... because if you think you can keep an audience happy by just playing this or that ... you will lose them after 20 minuntes or something like it.

It's his choice!

Edited by moshkito - March 18 2015 at 11:11
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2015 at 11:13
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Regarding prog metal, obviously the subgenre as we know it now did not exist in the Seventies, but some songs by iconic metal bands might be considered as examples of proto-progressive metal. Case in point: Judas Priest's "Victim of Changes" and "Beyond the Realms of Death".
I would add "2112" by Rush and definitely "Stargazer" by Rainbow as sterling examples of templates for progressive metal.

IndeedClap - though I would replace "2112" with the whole of A Farewell to Kings, which in my view is stronger and more cohesive in terms of composition.

They both work fine, I chose Side A of 2112 because it predates AFtK. The former is a nice kick in the pants considering how far back it came out. IMO, Blackmore's Rainbow also beat Deep Purple at their same game, and were heading into different, heavier territory with Long Live Rock 'n Roll. (Things changed when Ronnie Dio left.)
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2015 at 11:20
^^Do you think people who make use of these stickers naturally develop a top of the pops, hit single, music is sports type of thinking? 
If you do that, then I truly feel sorry for you - the way all of this must look to you.....but I do think you're mistaken, and you should be pleased about that.

I often throw around other stickers as well - beatnik, Bebop, Dadaism and expressionism, but that doesn't mean I fail to enjoy or "get" any of the art hiding underneath the simple aesthetic of a name. 

And no, you're right; it's not about the style - it never was nor will be. It's about the music. Everything else is just dancing about architecture, but then again, that just so happens to be the foundation of any music site out there, including PA.

Edited by Guldbamsen - March 18 2015 at 11:27
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2015 at 21:48

Avant/RIO - Frank Zappa Bogus Pomp Could be. Again, so many Mothers to choose from...

Crossover - Supertramp Breakfast In America Great song, a bit too late in the decade for me.

Canterbury - Robert Wyatt Little Red Riding Hood Hit The Road A personal fave but perhaps not the best to represent all of Canterbury. Khan, Egg, Caravan, early softs strike me better.

Eclectic Prog - King Crimson The Talking Drum Don't know this one! Got to check it out!

Electronic - Tangerine Dream Movements Of A Visionary Any TD/Schulze is golden. Just want to keep it ~ 10 mins.

Heavy Prog - Uriah Heep Salisbury Awesome. A classic. Maybe too long...

Jazz Rock - Steely Dan Aja Awesome choice! Gadd is amazing!

Jazz Fusion - Return to Forever Vulcan Worlds Great RTF song! Under consideration.

Krautrock - Can Peking O Have to refresh myself on this one. Can is an obvious choice. Just, which one?...

Prog Folk - Jethro Tull The Whistler Definitely on of JTull's best PFolk reps.

Progressive Psychedelia - Pink Floyd Alan Psychedelic Breakfast Don't know this one.

RPI - Le Orme La fabbricante d'angeli Le Orme is awesome but I'm probably going Banco.

Space Rock- Steve Hillage Lunar Musick Suite I understand this choice but I'm probably going elsewhere. Green would be my Hillage source.

Symphonic Rock - Yes Heart of the Sunrise As PERFECT a representative as one could find--and in the right time range, too. Top 5 choice.

Neo Prog - Genesis One For The Vine Great choice though I've got different ideas RE Neo....

Zeuhl - Magma Nebehr Guttahtt One of my top 5--love this song! Definitely has to be a Magma tune.

Indo/Raga - Codona Codona Perfect! a great compromise between Shakti and Clivage

NeoClassical Prog - Sky Where Opposites Meet Awesome! You get what I'm looking for!

Atmospheric - Brian Eno Music For Airports 2/1 Exactly! 'kept might be a bit too long
-------

Prog Related - The Who Doctor Jimmy or 5:15

Thanks for the time you took to make this list, Svetonio. Some of your suggestions are from years a bit later than I was hoping for (66-76 was my ideal span to glean from).
Drew Fisher
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2015 at 21:59
Originally posted by Komandant Shamal Komandant Shamal wrote:

Avant/RIO - Frank Zappa Bogus Pomp

Crossover - Supertramp Breakfast In America

Canterbury - Robert Wyatt Little Red Riding Hood Hit The Road

Electronic - Tangerine Dream Movements Of A Visionary

Heavy Prog - Uriah Heep Salisbury

Jazz Rock - Steely Dan Aja

Jazz Fusion - Return to Forever Vulcan Worlds

Krautrock - Can Peking O

Prog Folk - Jethro Tull The Whistler

Progressive Psychedelia - Pink Floyd Alan Psychedelic Breakfast

RPI - Le Orme La fabbricante d'angeli

Space Rock- Steve Hillage Lunar Musick Suite

Symphonic Rock - Yes Heart of the Sunrise

Neo Prog - Genesis One For The Vine

Zeuhl - Magma Nebehr Guttahtt

Indo/Raga - Codona Codona

NeoClassical Prog - Sky Where Opposites Meet

Atmospheric - Brian Eno Music For Airports 2/1
-------

Prog Related - The Who Doctor Jimmy

That's an amazing list, comrade Svetonio! Clap "Heart Of The Sunrise" is probably the best proposal to portray symphonic prog. "Salisbury"(title track) as an example that have to describe clearly the 70s heavy prog is quite understandable. "The Talking Drum" is a perfect choice for eclectic prog  - i see that people tend to favour "Starless" - undoubtedly it is a great KC song but "Starless" could be a symph too because of a lot of melodic 'tron and that famous Fripp's melancholic guitar solo.
Though, i think that "Songs From The Wood" (title track) is without a real rivarly for a sample of prog folk. 

I gotta check out this song "The Talking Drum"!

Drew Fisher
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2015 at 22:29
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Avant/RIO - Frank Zappa Bogus Pomp Could be. Again, so many Mothers to choose from...

Crossover - Supertramp Breakfast In America Great song, a bit too late in the decade for me.

Canterbury - Robert Wyatt Little Red Riding Hood Hit The Road A personal fave but perhaps not the best to represent all of Canterbury. Khan, Egg, Caravan, early softs strike me better.

Eclectic Prog - King Crimson The Talking Drum Don't know this one! Got to check it out!

Electronic - Tangerine Dream Movements Of A Visionary Any TD/Schulze is golden. Just want to keep it ~ 10 mins.

Heavy Prog - Uriah Heep Salisbury Awesome. A classic. Maybe too long...

Jazz Rock - Steely Dan Aja Awesome choice! Gadd is amazing!

Jazz Fusion - Return to Forever Vulcan Worlds Great RTF song! Under consideration.

Krautrock - Can Peking O Have to refresh myself on this one. Can is an obvious choice. Just, which one?...

Prog Folk - Jethro Tull The Whistler Definitely on of JTull's best PFolk reps.

Progressive Psychedelia - Pink Floyd Alan Psychedelic Breakfast Don't know this one.

RPI - Le Orme La fabbricante d'angeli Le Orme is awesome but I'm probably going Banco.

Space Rock- Steve Hillage Lunar Musick Suite I understand this choice but I'm probably going elsewhere. Green would be my Hillage source.

Symphonic Rock - Yes Heart of the Sunrise As PERFECT a representative as one could find--and in the right time range, too. Top 5 choice.

Neo Prog - Genesis One For The Vine Great choice though I've got different ideas RE Neo....

Zeuhl - Magma Nebehr Guttahtt One of my top 5--love this song! Definitely has to be a Magma tune.

Indo/Raga - Codona Codona Perfect! a great compromise between Shakti and Clivage

NeoClassical Prog - Sky Where Opposites Meet Awesome! You get what I'm looking for!

Atmospheric - Brian Eno Music For Airports 2/1 Exactly! 'kept might be a bit too long
-------

Prog Related - The Who Doctor Jimmy or 5:15

Thanks for the time you took to make this list, Svetonio. Some of your suggestions are from years a bit later than I was hoping for (66-76 was my ideal span to glean from).
Yea, Uriah Heep's Solisbury is 16 minute long epic.... too long for 2 hours show... what about Deep Purple' Speed King ? (1970) Wink A well structured song with an incredible and pretty modern sounding intro, amazing Lord solo, stunning Blackmore - Lord interplay what along with its atmosphere made it very (heavy) prog song without a question; strong Gillan's voice at its best and all of that in less than 6 minutes!
Oh and if that (best) part of Eno's Music for Airports is also too long, please check GonG's Bambooji 
If you wish that Atmospheric and Space Rock to be in one song, then A Sprinkling of Clouds would be a great example.

Edited by Svetonio - March 19 2015 at 00:43
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2015 at 00:37
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

(...)
 (...)

I gotta check out this song "The Talking Drum"!

The Talking Drum is an instrumental track actually. If you wanna to put in your list an uncompromised eclectic prog song, and yet to be vocally, try The Weaver's Answer by Family.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234