Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSome observations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2015 at 05:35
Badly mismatching bands on a bill seldom works - all of the examples given so far were bound to have ended in disaster so should have come as no surprise to anyone.

The path to hell is paved with good intentions - it is well known that Fish is a big fan of Peter Hammill so having him open for them was a gesture of good intent - I suspect that part of it was an attempt to publicly say: forget Gabriel, this is who inspires my singing, but it was a mismatch of musical styles that probably wouldn't work today, let alone back then.

I've mentioned a couple in the past that have amused me - most notable being The Enid supported by 90 Degrees Inclusive at The Rainbow in 1978. Keen to shake-off the right-wing tag that the anti-Prog music press had lumbered The Enid with due to their then regular rendition of The Dambusters March/Land of Hope and Glory during their encore, they went all PC and booked a Jamaican roots-reggae band to open for them. I'm sure that on paper this seemed like a good idea, Bob Marley's Exodus and bands like Aswad and Steel Pulse were firm favourites with UK students at that time, but alas no one had ever heard of 90 Degrees Inclusive so the audience stood in polite bemusement as this brave band struggled on. No one booed - Enid fans were above that kind of uncouth behaviour and I'm sure that RJG would have given us a telling-off if we had - but it wasn't quite the PR exercise that everyone had hoped. Later The Enid would include a straight punk version of The Pistol's God Save The Queen into their encore set but by then it was all too late.

What?
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2015 at 05:58
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Yeah Arjen is crazy with his guest spots. I gather it's mostly done over the internet though. I can't imagine Phideaux flying in from Canada to do a vocal bitLOL

Phideaux maybe not, but many have come over to his Electric Castle in the past 10 years to record their bits. And others for their own projects as well. 
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2015 at 07:14
Originally posted by NutterAlert NutterAlert wrote:

He was booed and slow hand clapped by a bunch of morons who appeared to want a pop/prog-lite Genesis clone band. 

Very poor behaviour. I'm seen many support bands varying from one who actually got cheered back on for an encore (Bare Naked Ladies) to some very poor ones (who shall remain nameless) but I've got too much respect for musicians to do that. If you don't want to listen then don't, but don't boo them.
thwok View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2015 at 06:37
Although I don't hate bands for not supporting younger musicians, I think that Smurph hit the nail on the head.  Having younger bands tour with them is the perfect way for established bands to show support.
I am the funkiest man on the planet!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123