Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy so much Genesis love?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2015 at 09:08
Originally posted by silverpot silverpot wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I understand why some folks are turned off by GG. They basically sound like Robin Hood's barber shop quartet doing prog rock. Don't get me wrong, just like Micky, I too love those first 4 albums.

LOL      I have actually come to the conclusion that it's the singer's fault. He sounds more like a robot than a soulful human. That's why they don't speak to me, at all. I have tried, countless times, back in the day. Had a boyfriend who was a bit obsessed. Big smile

the bands sound definitely changed after Phil Shulman left the band... what it is really noticeable is what he brought to the band vocally.  Incredibly distinctive and unique.  It sort of sounded samey afterward... not that Derek was a bad vocalist.. far from it.. he was just very limited in his range as one LOL

Edited by micky - December 13 2015 at 09:09
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2015 at 12:36
From what I know Mr. Gabriel was a fan of theatre, and a coupling of their interesting performances and enthralling music can make for an enjoyable band. 
http://fryingpanmedia.com
AngusH View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2015 at 20:03
Gentle Giant is one of those prog bands that I wouldn't even attempt to play to a non prog-nerd. I don't listen to GG as much as I used to - very rarely, actually - but I do still like pretty much all of their stuff from the first album through Power and the Glory. 'Robin Hood's barber shop quartet doing prog rock' is a fine description. LOL

Genesis on the other hand, even their most proggy stuff, is a lot more accessible. 'The Battle of Epping Forest' is probably the one 'Robin Hood'-type moment for them that I find pretty silly (even if I enjoy the actual song).
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2015 at 21:39
To be honest, why not so much Genesis love? :)
From Genesis to being the first wearing weird costumes, i.e. fox ontop of the head while wearing a red dress, etc...
Having a double kick ass drummer who undeniably is brilliant but then after interviewing a lot of singers since Gabriel left decided to become the lead singer. Taking the more complex Genesis formula to a more streamline rock version, which was required at the time, considering the press had given a bad name to prog music etc. and radio stations plus MTV only wanted to play new era stuff influenced by the corporate suits even if it is crap.
However for those critics that said Phil Collins is weak, he was not, at the same time he was recording and producing his brilliant side project, BrandX!

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2015 at 07:28
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

From Genesis to being the first wearing weird costumes, i.e. fox ontop of the head while wearing a red dress, etc...

ahem... no LOL

After touring this with this group... THEN they realized their music was drop dead boring in comparison.. AND they looked like a semi pro version early hobo-Tull so after they got back from touring with them. They whipped out the costumes..  if they couldn't make interesting music.. at least they could try to be interesting ON stage.

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Follix View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2015 at 14:28
There two songs that I really enjoy about Genesis which are Supper's Ready and Firth of Fifth and that alone is enough for a lot of love LOL
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2015 at 15:13
^ even if Genesis had never made a pop album... they would have achieved some sort of half-ass Mcimortality with one track and one track alone.

Cinema Show man. Genesis sure never hit that level of perfection in the albums previous.. or definitely not afterward... 
Rando View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2015 at 20:57

In the beginning...From Charterhouse - To Prog - To Pop - To Stardom - To the Bank -To the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame!
- Music is Life, that's why our hearts have beats -
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2015 at 22:33
Genesis is one of the last prog bands I showed my mates. There are some fairy moments in those Gabriel years
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2015 at 23:42
Genesis were not just about playing. They concerned with atmosphere, with taking you somewhere outside of yourself - masters of a musical version of Impressionism. This is not true of all Prog. Zappa is all about putting notes together, a musical version of Expressionism, and I like him a great deal simply on those terms. Gentle Giant always seems to be about establish a promise of an atmosphere and then nonsensically and fraudulently destroying it, leaving me a little pissed off every time I listen. The upshot of my point is that a lot of Prog fans (I presume) like what Genesis provided as recreation for the mind's eye. They pioneered the canonical "going on an adventure" music that many Prog fans love. Very few, if any, Prog bands really matched them artfully in that regard.

Edited by HackettFan - December 23 2015 at 23:48
Green Shield Stamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2015 at 03:13
First and foremost they wrote great songs and had a gift for melody. They eschewed aimless noodling (which was de rigueur in the early seventies). Instrumental passages were always in the service of the song not a show of musical prowess. All of the band were writers. They were always a pop band at heart (initially with a love of The Beatles and The BeeGees) but that was not a bad thing because pop was quite adventurous in this period - unlike today. I love the band (both Gabriel and Collins eras).
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2016 at 10:15
Originally posted by Green Shield Stamp Green Shield Stamp wrote:

First and foremost they wrote great songs and had a gift for melody. They eschewed aimless noodling (which was de rigueur in the early seventies). Instrumental passages were always in the service of the song not a show of musical prowess. All of the band were writers. They were always a pop band at heart (initially with a love of The Beatles and The BeeGees) but that was not a bad thing because pop was quite adventurous in this period - unlike today. I love the band (both Gabriel and Collins eras).

/thread

Exactly my thoughts, great band is always band despite the genre or the form they choose to work with. They were great in Prog when they were playing complex music, they were great in Pop when they decided to move on and left all the Gabriel-related schticks in the past. Love them even more for not forcing the half-a$$ed five-piece reunion upon themselves either...or is it just Peter being a prima?
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2016 at 20:56
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

^ even if Genesis had never made a pop album... they would have achieved some sort of half-ass Mcimortality with one track and one track alone.

Cinema Show man. Genesis sure never hit that level of perfection in the albums previous.. or definitely not afterward... 

Yeah, "Cinema Show" is wonderful, but from the same album "Dancing with the Moonlit Knight" and "Firth of Fifth" are at the same level for me. And from previous albums, "Musical Box" and "Supper's Ready" too, of course. Though they do have many pieces of music I don't really like in those albums too.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2016 at 21:36
^I've really come to love After the Ordeal over the years. It's currently my favorite off of SEBTP.
fudgenuts64 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2016 at 01:28
I've replied here before, but I'll say my thoughts right now. As said above, both Tony and Steve rarely play just to play, and often times are both not considered to be on the levels of the other big prog virtuosos. Both guys have an absolute talent for picking out melody, and while Tony does occasionally show off his skills (Firth of Fifth, Down and Out) it's generally used so little that you can appreciate it rather than dismiss it for w**king. As for Steve, he definitely goes for the slow, but atmospheric and amazing style. When you jump into his early solo albums, you notice he can make his guitar do so much with so little. Spectral Mornings has this all over. That's not to say he can't shred when he wants to. Slogans seems like hell to play, and the whole Bay of Kings album really makes you appreciate his classical guitar. A fine player for sure.

As for the other members, Mike always felt sorta in the background for me. I don't know why, but over the past year or so I have come to appreciate his bass playing more. Again, another player who knows when not to go crazy - but man, I do wish it was more present in the music. He can really play when he wants to. Phil I love so much, for good reasons. An excellent drummer, absolutely wonderful stage personality (listen to bootlegs from 1978-1980, it enhances the concert so much) and really, doing a wonderful job as vocalist. Which leads me the final one, I think Peter, despite overdoing it with some of his stage personality, really made that band something special on those early albums. I can't imagine Trespass without him, his understated but very powerful vocal style just shined through on all of those classic albums and makes them so damn memorable.

In short, Genesis was a dream team, that, despite being 20 years old and being broke as f**k, managed to get five musicians who all could do fantastic things that, while not appreciated much at the time, made so many essential records of the 70s that only after the dust settled more people realized just how amazing the group was!

Edited by fudgenuts64 - January 11 2016 at 01:31
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2016 at 17:02
Jeeze. I've always felt Genesis haven't got the accolades and acclaim they deserve.   

The level of depth Genesis have is immeasurable. A true sonic legacy. They have nothing to prove nor do they have to compete with any other band because they are just that good and in a serious league of their own.

You can't f**k with this band.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678