Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Live Performance Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYes Ohio (8/15/15) and Michigan (8/15/15)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yes Ohio (8/15/15) and Michigan (8/15/15)
    Posted: August 16 2015 at 19:15

My husband and I saw Yes in two shows this week, Ohio (8/14) and Michigan (8/15).

Overall impression: 

Both shows were very good, solidly played, had an interesting set list and high level of musicianship, and appeared to be enjoyed very much by the vast majority of the crowd.  The OH show was more inspired, but the sound was better at the MI show, so I enjoyed both about equally. 

The band:

Steve Howe: sweet merciful jesus, but that man can sure play the guitar. He was great.

Alan White: I was a bit concerned because, although on last year’s tour (saw two shows), he was great, in the DVD from last year’s concert in Bristol (Like It Is), the songs were dragging somewhat,* and I thought the version of CTTE on the Mesa concert was a bit tentative as well. Not so in OH – he played at just the right tempo, and in MI, only slowed a little on two songs, the second halves of Seen All Good People and GFTO.  Otherwise, he was spot on, and the pace on Siberian Khatru was pretty blistering.

*In White’s defense, the audience in Bristol had apparently been dug up from a local cemetery, and I can’t imagine anyone who could have played an upbeat show in response to their complete lack of interest in the proceedings.

Billy Sherwood: well, considering the show started with the audience applauding Chris Squire’s bass, the man had a whole lot to live up to, but he did a very credible job, particularly during the second half of the show.

Geoff Downes: not sure where the keyboards were for the first two-thirds of the show, but once they started coming through (on SK, SAGP, Roundabout and Starship Trooper), he sounded good.

Jon Davidson: I must confess I’m not a big fan, and found him way too shrill on the first night, but part of that may have been the sound being a bit off.  He sounded much better in MI. Still not a big fan - his voice just isn't very expressive.

High points:

Steve Howe on SK and ST.  Both nights. Awesome.

Siberian Khatru.  Both nights. Worth the price of admission and the long drive from KY alone.

The opening tribute to Squire, which I am sure everyone has seen on youtube by now.  If not, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7Vq1LmRa8o. Incredibly well done without being mawkish, which was pretty tough to pull off. 

The band’s interplay: one thing I notice from watching early 2000 DVDs (Symphonic Live, Live at Montreux, etc.) was how each band member (which the occasional exception of Squire) would stand in his own area and not even look at the others, as if they were all playing in completely separate locations, which does make me wonder about what on earth was going on between all of them. This iteration of Yes actually seem to like each other and like playing together. I enjoyed watching that.

Really fun versions of Roundabout and I’ve Seen All Good People.

Low points:

Nothing personal, but America is one of my favorite Paul Simon songs, and I love the simplicity of the original.  I just don’t enjoy seeing it reworked so elaborately, but I did prefer the version this weekend to the one on Keys to Ascension.

I don’t like Owner of a Lonely Heart. I have never liked Owner of a Lonely Heart. I probably never will  like Owner of a Lonely Heart.  Just a song to which I have to resign myself.

Downes’ keyboards cut out a few times on the second night.  Not anyone’s fault, I assume, but it was a part of the show where he was actually supposed to be heard, so bummer for both him and us.

Incredibly low point:

About two or three songs in (it was so awful I’ve tried to forget it), Davidson asked everyone in the audience to say in unison “Chris, we love you and we will never forget you.” In contrast to the beautiful simplicity of the opening tribute, it was cheap and embarrassing and my husband and I both ducked our heads and cringed. It was appalling, and he really needs to stop doing this.

Extra observations:

My husband thought they should have started with GFTO and played Don’t Kill the Whale further down in the set list, but I thought it worked well as an opening number, and I think that after the Squire tribute, a song that had a more serious message was necessary.

Tempus Fugit was fun.

Time and a Word could have used a lot more keyboards.

On the first night (OH), Howe clearly came on determined to make sure the audience enjoyed themselves. He was very animated, and more relaxed with the audience than I have seen him in the past (live and on DVD). He even made a joke, and what’s more, it was amusing. He was a bit less outgoing in MI, which is why I think the concert was less inspired. 

I don’t know what it is with American audiences and beating the traffic.   A lot of people – even though they were clearly en masse enjoying the show – left before the encore.  Who misses out on the encore of a concert they are enjoying? Especially when a little on line research would have let you know the encore was Starship Trooper? What is wrong with these people?

Sherwood needs to wash his hair more often, or buy a more effective brand of shampoo.

My husband, who plays the drums, noted that White had simplified his parts in a few places. In the context of a concert, I didn’t notice (that’s what I have him for) but he found it a bit disappointing.

There were tshirts with the Yes logo and a Roger Dean-designed fish for sale. I bought one. Very nice tribute.

There were four very drunk guys in front of me at the MI show who were obviously dedicated Yes fans and who had a hell of a great time.  I didn’t mind because they were boisterously happy without being obnoxious about it, and although I don’t usually like public drunks, it would have been churlish to begrudge them their fun.

I got to meet Rushfan4 in between the acts in MI.  Hi, Rushfan4!

Toto:

They were fine, certainly not great.  The songs were well played, but with the exception of a few songs from the new album (which I sure didn’t see anyone lining up to buy), they weren’t good enough to raise the band beyond their obviously solid musicianship. The crowd in OH was more into their set then the crowd in MI (many people in MI did not bother to take their seats until Toto was done), but aside from jumping up and down to Africa, Hold the Line and Roseanna, neither audience really seemed as incredibly impressed as cemego’s review (over in prog polls, The Future of Yes) seemed to imply. They did a good job with the material they had, but I still can’t see ever buying a Toto album.

Anyone else see a concert from this tour and have an opinion?  I'd be interested to hear it.

Edited by emigre80 - August 16 2015 at 21:28
garfunkel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2015 at 19:26
Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

Davidson asked everyone in the audience to say in unison “Chris, we love you and we will never forget you.”

Yuck!
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2015 at 19:31
^ It was revolting.  I wish I could erase that part of the show from my memory.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2015 at 21:47
Originally posted by garfunkel garfunkel wrote:

Davidson asked everyone in the audience to say in unison “Chris, we love you and we will never forget you.”

Yuck!

Man, you took the word out of my mouth!  I was going to reply "Ick!" 

Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2015 at 05:23
I was finally going to break down and see Yes on this tour, but then CS announced he wouldn't participate and I changed my mind.  This review seals it - I'd love to see SH before it's too late, but if I've been passing up Yesshows since 1984.  Why start now?  A Steve Howe Trio show, on the other hand, I'd drive all day and all night to see. 
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2015 at 10:07
Being the AOR fan that I am, I really enjoyed Toto.  As emigre80 (Hi Terri!) said, the crowd mostly got into Hold the Line, Rosanna, and Africa.  I also really enjoyed the three new songs from their latest album, which I have listened to fairly frequently in recent months.

I also enjoyed Yes' performance.  It was a strange feeling though to look on the stage and not see Chris Squire.  The Onward tribute to begin the show was quite touching.  After seeing them play Close to the Edge and Fragile in their entirety last year, their choice of playlist this year was interesting.  On one hand, this being a good thing, since it is always nice to see other songs performed rather than just the same old songs.  On the other hand, they only played Siberian Khatru, Roundabout, And You and I, Going for the One, and Starship Trooper from their classic prog period.  Owner of the Lonely Heart was the only track that played post GFTO, so for me that was a little disappointing.  I would have liked to heard them play a couple of tracks from their latter period; especially something from Magnification (sans orchestra). 

I must agree that Jon Davidson really should not continue to do his bit with having the audience say in unison “Chris, we love you and we will never forget you.”   I understand the sentiment, but when he did it, it made me cringe. 

All in all I thought it was a good show.  And unlike emigre80 travelling up from Kentucky, I only had to drive 3 miles to get to the venue, so pretty much can't beat that, accept to have the band show up and play at my house.

Edited by rushfan4 - August 18 2015 at 10:07
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2015 at 14:56
Originally posted by garfunkel garfunkel wrote:

Yuck!

...Ohh boy, where to begin!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2015 at 14:57
That's a great review, still have no regrets not seeing Yes these past few tours. I also probably would have liked seeing Toto...
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2015 at 15:56
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

And unlike emigre80 travelling up from Kentucky, I only had to drive 3 miles to get to the venue, so pretty much can't beat that, accept to have the band show up and play at my house.

I wouldn't mind having them turn up and play at my house.  As long as JD does not ask me to tell Chris Squire how much I miss him.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2015 at 20:35

Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

And unlike emigre80 travelling up from Kentucky, I only had to drive 3 miles to get to the venue, so pretty much can't beat that, accept to have the band show up and play at my house.

I wouldn't mind having them turn up and play at my house.  As long as JD does not ask me to tell Chris Squire how much I miss him.

LOL
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2015 at 23:59
Great review thanks and excellent to see honest positive feedback not just naysayers
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2015 at 06:36
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

Great review thanks and excellent to see honest positive feedback not just naysayers

Never say nay! 

I can certainly understand why some people prefer not to see this version of Yes, but I had a good time and I'm not ashamed to say so.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2015 at 07:05

My husband, who plays the drums, noted that White had simplified his parts in a few places. In the context of a concert, I didn’t notice (that’s what I have him for) but he found it a bit disappointing.

White has been like that for a while - there are very few drum fills on the last 2 albums. I guess it could be an age thing?
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2015 at 18:24
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

White has been like that for a while - there are very few drum fills on the last 2 albums. I guess it could be an age thing?

I should imagine that drummers, because of the pounding they put out every night, would be more susceptible to age-related issues.  Apparently some guitarists can go on forever, though.
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2015 at 07:42
yeah, i think the start of the concert was all they needed as a tribute to Chris; you don't need to shoehorn this stuff in the concert in order to pay tribute to him since you've already had one such idea in mind.
Progrockdude
 Post Reply Post Reply