Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - They say "bombastic" like that's a bad thing...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThey say "bombastic" like that's a bad thing...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: They say "bombastic" like that's a bad thing...
    Posted: June 01 2017 at 19:30
Salutations, my fellow prog people. Been meaning to make an account here for ages, and, well, here I am. My origin story: I credit intrinsic nerdiness along with my dad's early influence to my lifelong progressive rock appreciation. As a kid, I was drawn to music I didn't even realize was part of an overarching genre - all I knew was that I liked music that seemed complex and interesting and melodically compelling, and the occasional science fiction theme and/or philosophical speculation definitely didn't hurt!

As a youngster, I was marinated in a lot of Jethro Tull, Yes, early Genesis, and so on; in my early teens I sort of independently got into Zeppelin (though with a preference for the tracks that seemed more relatable to me, e.g., anything that included a Tolkien reference. :)) and very early Queen (the first 2 albums in particular were very art-proggish) and of course Floyd. I always felt rather alienated by contemporary pop and was so excited to find music that wasn't all love songs or breakup songs, and where you could just lose yourself in exploration of epic imaginary worlds via tracks that passed the 10 minute mark. As a kid who spent more time worrying about the heat death of the universe and wondering about the possibility of time travel than engaging with social gossip and the perplexities thereof, it was wonderful to know that music was actually being made for people like me!

Fast forward to now - I'm always on the lookout for compelling material, and in recent years have come to adore projects like, say, Phideaux. What got me to join this forum is that I actually only just discovered Aeryon (no clue how that took me so long) and am just enraptured. I've had "The Final Experiment" on endless repeat for roughly a week now, and am starting the journey through the rest of the catalogue going forward.

Sooo, anyhow, glad to be here and hoping to learn of even more great music to explore.

(Also, fwiw, I am an electrical engineer by profession, currently 38 years old, and a crazy cat lady with 4 felines in house. Thankfully, my SO is tolerant of all of this, as well as my prog obsession).
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2017 at 02:43
Welcome fellow crazy cat person. You may find that this place exists to prove that social gossip and the heat death of the universe are not mutually exclusive. 
CorwinA View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2017 at 09:32
LOL, thanks - I am quite well aware of that now, but as a teenager it was just refreshing to find songs that weren't about romantic situations (though certainly there are actually plenty of prog songs that are relationship-themed, it's not ALL metallic dragons having an existential crisis.) :P
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2017 at 15:21
Sometimes there be wizards too. No mention of Rush and their Tolkien themed songs but no matter.  Welcome to the forum and hopefully you will find other great music.  I am a big fan of Ayreon myself, so I am glad that you have discovered his/their work.  
CorwinA View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2017 at 16:12
Rushfan4 - hehe, it's hard to think of everything to include in one post. :p Thanks for the welcome, my favorite Rush album is probably 2112. :D
UselessPassion View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2017 at 13:05
Welcome! I'm new myself. In the short time I've been here, I've learned one very important lesson: for god's sake, make sure you copy your text before posting.

The captchas, the captchas.
[Hyperreflective paradigm breaking profundity goes here]
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2017 at 09:03
Sadly the Captchas are a recently added "improvement" to the site that have essentially chased many of the regulars away.
Big Ears View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2017 at 10:57
Bombastic is not a bad thing, nor is pretentious or self-indulgent. 
 Post Reply Post Reply