22 [31.88%]
27 [39.13%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2017 at 23:33
Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

It's not that Neo is bad, it's that it's generally cheap music. By definition, Neo-Prog is a revivalist movement i.e. it tries to imitate Classic Prog. The result is often generic uncreative music (often not always). 

That said I do like Marillion more than any other Neo band I've heard. Quite enjoyable actually. But it sounds so close to a Genesis rip-off that I almost never spin any of their albums. Those kinds of artist lack a sense of identity and need to stop treating art as a commodity.

Sounding like Genesis to me is a good thing! 
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2017 at 23:35
Thanks everyone for your insights. I'm definitely learning a lot on here. 
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2017 at 10:41
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

awesome. Serously.. don't make the mistake of thinking I"m trying to tell you not to listen to them. My feelsing on Neo are my own, oh.. and of a great many others hahah.. but while we may have fun trashing Neo it is all just that... all in fun. It is the punching bag.. the class nerd... the guy who masterbates to PLayboy because he can't get a girl.  It is the loser genre of prog hahah.  We just enjoy teasing our friends on the forum that do enjoy it with our thoughts on their tastes.. and their manhoods hahah.

Personally I find very few redeeming qualities at all in their music or in any of the Neo I've heard.  I've listened to many, all the Fish and a good many of the Hogwarts ones before I finally gave up.. did nothing for me and yeah... it isn't just a Marillion thing it is the whole damned Neo thing. What makes Neo Neo I suppose just doesn't click for me.  It isn't progressive at all.. so that is a big swinging first strike. I have ZERO sentimetal ties to it... during those years I wasn't listening to it.. I was digging the great stuff coming out in the 80's that wasn't prog... nor Neo.. but sh*t all over this stuff in terms of catchiness, songwriting, and just plain being fun to listen to. When I am in the mood to dig prog.. why ever would I want to listen to this sophmoric sh*t....   the classics rules over this stuff... and even more.. the newer stuff is much more progressive (ie interesting) and is more fresh and exiting.  

In a nutshell.. that is why I think they suck.   Not that you should or will agree.... if you enjoy them.. do it... the only enjoyment I get is trashing them and their fans for their lack of tastes hahaha. I've been doing for years... the fans know it... and think they enjoy it actually. I am like free advertising.. otherwise Neo would sink back to the 3rd division of prog where it belongs.. instead of being the center of attention it is when Mick and his Neo hating skinheads descend on anything Neo related.  

I know what you mean, man.

I used to think and behave like that at age 14 during my attention seeking/rebellious phase.
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2017 at 11:12
With Amon Duul II there is certainly a lot more to discover. If you can get hold of the Made In Germany double album that would be a good one to start with. 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2017 at 22:13
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

what is there not to buy man.... read that guys post.... he was dead on. The proof is right in front of our faces.  You have two distinct types of music.. prog which is genre.. and progressive which is an adjective.. NOT a genre... and with them you do have two groups of fans.... and while some of us do like both...  putting the two together does not always work.

see Nearfest 2011 and the collapse of the big tent prog scene which tried to place two very different beasts in the same ring...... seeing that was all the proof in the pudding one would need to see what can happen when prog and progressive diverge...

So I guess I'm more into prog as a genre than music that has the progressive adjective. I do like progressive elements in music, whether that means that the music has progress within the song instead of being the same thing for a few minutes, or that the bands are trying to progress music in general with their stuff... but then again, there are very few bands / artist that can really progress the music into something new... I guess mostly any artist that helps develop a new music genre is actually progressing music, and most of them don't fall into the prog category.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2017 at 22:21
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

For some reason I'm starting to once again feel peer pressure to stop listening to Marillion. :( 

You shouldn't care so much about what other people think of genres or bands if you like them. I mean, you are in a prog forum, if you went around choosing your what you like and what you don't based on others opinions, then you shoulen't even be listening to prog at all. However, I use opinions to point me in a direction when I'm trying to find new music, but once I listen to it I make my own choices. Or else I check the opinions just for curiosity of the music I know, but won't change my mind just because someone else doesn't like it (in that case I would love Peter Gabriel and hate Jon Anderson as singers).

You don't love Peter Gabriel? I mean I'm not trying to judge, love who you want obviously but I sure love him! I love Jon Anderson too obviously, but if I have to pick between the two then I'm going with Gabriel. Aside from that though, thanks again for the guidance. 

I love Genesis, specially the classic era, but that's despite Gabriel's singing, which I just can't come to like. On the other hand I do love Anderson's singing, it's just so special, and has something that can't just be imitated. Also, often enough I don't like the lyrics and the concepts that Gabriel creates, specially when he tries to be comic. Actually, I like Phil Collins as a singer much better than Gabriel. By the way, if you love Genesis so much, you should listen to Big Big Train's English Electric albums (or did I recommend that one to you already?). For me it's got great pastoral Genesis-like music without sounding like a bad copy (actually, for me they sound much more Genesis-like than Marillion ever did... I never really found them so similar to Genesis besides the voice and theatrics of Fish).
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2017 at 15:39

I love Genesis, specially the classic era, but that's despite Gabriel's singing, which I just can't come to like. On the other hand I do love Anderson's singing, it's just so special, and has something that can't just be imitated. Also, often enough I don't like the lyrics and the concepts that Gabriel creates, specially when he tries to be comic. Actually, I like Phil Collins as a singer much better than Gabriel. By the way, if you love Genesis so much, you should listen to Big Big Train's English Electric albums (or did I recommend that one to you already?). For me it's got great pastoral Genesis-like music without sounding like a bad copy (actually, for me they sound much more Genesis-like than Marillion ever did... I never really found them so similar to Genesis besides the voice and theatrics of Fish).

Oh cool, I'll definitely have to check those out.. thanks. And I love Phil Collins. I think I read that only Paul McCartney and Michael Jackson had more success than him.. so yeah, that certainly speaks for itself. And also he's very underrated as a drummer imo. I go back and forth on who I like better between him and Peter. Right now it's Peter, largely because of this.. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Gabriel  the 'Activist for humanitarian causes' section.

Phil is no slouch when it comes to that either, but he's no Peter Gabriel.. I don't think anyone is. 
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2017 at 16:16
Originally posted by Kepler62 Kepler62 wrote:

With Amon Duul II there is certainly a lot more to discover. If you can get hold of the Made In Germany double album that would be a good one to start with. 

I'm finding them to be not right for me, but thanks for the suggestion anyway. 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2017 at 21:26

Oh cool, I'll definitely have to check those out.. thanks. And I love Phil Collins. I think I read that only Paul McCartney and Michael Jackson had more success than him.. so yeah, that certainly speaks for itself. And also he's very underrated as a drummer imo. I go back and forth on who I like better between him and Peter. Right now it's Peter, largely because of this.. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Gabriel  the '<span ="mw-line" id="Activist_for_humanitarian_causes">Activist for humanitarian causes' section. </span>
<span ="mw-line">
</span>
<span ="mw-line">Phil is no slouch when it comes to that either, but he's no Peter Gabriel.. I don't think anyone is. </span>

Yeah, it's great that people with influence and resources use them to help ease the problems of this world, and I really admire them for such actions... yet, that doesn't make me like them better for their artistic merits. It's like a plus for whenever I already like someone's music (just as good lyrics are a plus for good music). In this case, I do love the music he did with Genesis, I don't like his singing (well, I don't dislike it so much anymore, after listening to the band and enjoying it for so long) so much, and if he's doing great charitable things... I still don't enjoy his singing any better; and I don't really know his solo career to say how much I like it... for a few songs I heard I don't think I would enjoy it so much, but the third album did sound good enough, so at some point I might start by getting that one and his first live album.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2017 at 22:02
^ Sounds like a good plan for getting into some solo Gabriel. :) 
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2017 at 01:13

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Gabriel  the '<span ="mw-line" id="Activist_for_humanitarian_causes">Activist for humanitarian causes' section. </span>
<span ="mw-line">
</span>
<span ="mw-line">Phil is no slouch when it comes to that either, but he's no Peter Gabriel.. I don't think anyone is. </span>

Yeah, it's great that people with influence and resources use them to help ease the problems of this world, and I really admire them for such actions... yet, that doesn't make me like them better for their artistic merits. It's like a plus for whenever I already like someone's music (just as good lyrics are a plus for good music). In this case, I do love the music he did with Genesis, I don't like his singing (well, I don't dislike it so much anymore, after listening to the band and enjoying it for so long) so much, and if he's doing great charitable things... I still don't enjoy his singing any better; and I don't really know his solo career to say how much I like it... for a few songs I heard I don't think I would enjoy it so much, but the third album did sound good enough, so at some point I might start by getting that one and his first live album.

I think that Fruupp sound a lot like Genesis. You should try them.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2017 at 23:06
^ What the heck.. I just listened to that whole thing and really liked it! I had never ever even heard of that band before. I'm discovering a lot of great stuff since joining this site. Thank you for posting that. 
socrates17 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2017 at 12:06
Strongly recommend Amon Düül II's Tanz der Lemminge (aka Dance of the Lemmings).  When on LP, this was a 2 record set.  If you want to narrow down your first listen, start with side 2 which is  a suite called Restless Skylight Transistor Child.  It's 19:33 long.  Don't start with side 3, also a suite called The Marilyn Monroe Memorial Church.  It's great music, but it's kinda like jumping right into the deep end of the pool.
Chula Vista View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2017 at 12:43
First off, why can't I vote in your poll??????

Secondly Marillion gets lumped into two camps with somewhat polarized fans in each one. The Fish era and the Hogarth era.

Fish

Hogarth

You really need to dive into both before making a decision on the band.
I'd much rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2017 at 15:28
Originally posted by Chula Vista Chula Vista wrote:

Secondly Marillion gets lumped into two camps with somewhat polarized fans in each one. The Fish era and the Hogarth era.

Fish

Hogarth

Seasons End - great choice to represent Hogarth
Keyleigh - not so much to represent Fish, because there's so much better, try Blind Curve, from the same album :)
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2017 at 16:33

Fish

Hogarth

I believe you need 40 posts before you can vote in polls or create one yourself. And thanks for the samples, listening to the second one right now. :) 
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2017 at 16:35
Originally posted by socrates17 socrates17 wrote:

Strongly recommend Amon Düül II's Tanz der Lemminge (aka Dance of the Lemmings).  When on LP, this was a 2 record set.  If you want to narrow down your first listen, start with side 2 which is  a suite called Restless Skylight Transistor Child.  It's 19:33 long.  Don't start with side 3, also a suite called The Marilyn Monroe Memorial Church.  It's great music, but it's kinda like jumping right into the deep end of the pool.

Appreciate the suggestion. Maybe should give them one more chance.. 
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2017 at 16:38
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Fish

Hogarth

Seasons End - great choice to represent Hogarth
Keyleigh - not so much to represent Fish, because there's so much better, try Blind Curve, from the same album :)

Yeah good call, and great album!

Edit: Sometimes I can't tell if it's a freakin storefront or not. Enough Captcha! 

Edited by YESESIS - September 07 2017 at 16:39
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2018 at 13:00
Eloy

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567