Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Romanian 70s prog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EyeHeartProg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Romanian 70s prog
    Posted: May 22 2018 at 02:02
Yes, talk about a niche... :) 

Anyway, doing some research and I'm turning to you guys for help here... would Phoenix be the most well-known of the Romanian prog bands from that era?  If so, would Cantafabule be their most well-known album?  Did they have any "hits" in their home country?

and... if not them, who else?

Thanks all!

b
==================
mostly Yes, ELP, PFM, D97 here.

But I'm open.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2018 at 02:31
Phoenix had a lot of hits (let's say hits, but it's more like famous songs). They started early 60s and back then they were  what people call a "beat" band. Starting 1965 they became successful and pissed off censorship from the very start. They had several singles and EPs before they released their debut album in 1973 - Cei ce Ne-au Dat Nume - which was an ambitious project that blends rock and folklore. They continued with Mugur de Fluier in 1974 and then came Cantafabule. They tried to make music in Germany in the 80s but with little success. They released a couple of albums in the 90s and 2000s, best one being Baba Novak in 2005. 

Other Romanian prog bands I can think of right now are Sfinx, Accent, Progresiv TM, early FFN, Celelalte Cuvinte, ProMusica, ExperimetalQ, Marius Popp. There are also some bands that got to record just a few songs back in the day, as the record label of the day, Electrecord did not give them a chance for full LP. 

Later day there are The Egocentrics, Alternativ Quartet, Kumm, Byron, Echo. That's all i can think of now. 

There are some post rock bands, too. Also if you want to hear some non-prog, I can help you with that as well. :)

Edited by Cristi - June 05 2018 at 09:15
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2018 at 02:33
sorry i went over the 70s. :)
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2018 at 02:38
^ Great post Cristi! I think Cantafabule is the essential Phoenix album for proggers, though I also like Mugur de Fluier (it's more in a hard rock plus folk influences vein, from what I remember).

The only artist I can think of to add to your list is Rodion GA, electronic music, pretty nice stuff.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
EyeHeartProg View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EyeHeartProg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2018 at 02:59
I'll forgive the spillover!  :)  Thanks SO much for the thoughtful and quick reply - so thorough!  So now, the million Lei question is: where can I buy some of these albums (digitally), especially "Cantafabule"?  I've had no luck in the "traditional" outlets, and I hate going to YouTube...

And yes, even non-prog would be fun!  I have only one Romanian music album so far, generically titled "Mioritza" (I know, big help).  It's traditional folk (I'm guessing), and it's also quite wonderfu.

Bennyl
==================

But I'm open.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2018 at 05:19
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

^ Great post Cristi! I think Cantafabule is the essential Phoenix album for proggers, though I also like Mugur de Fluier (it's more in a hard rock plus folk influences vein, from what I remember).

The only artist I can think of to add to your list is Rodion GA, electronic music, pretty nice stuff.

I know Rodion GA. Also on electronic music, Adrian Enescu deserves to be mentioned. He started in jazz then went on and did  electronic music, he did movie sountracks and even wrote pop music for several singers (in the 80s). 

I also forgot to mention Nicu Alifantis whose debut album is a little masterpiece (1979 - Dupa Melci, that features Sfinx keyboardist Nicolae Enache). 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2018 at 05:29
also Rosu si Negru were progressive in their early days and here is an example

Edited by Cristi - May 22 2018 at 05:29
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2018 at 09:06
I will mention another band here, Curtea Veche 43, who were ignored about the label of the time. 70s prog at its finest, the band had two competent guitarists - Sorin Chifiriuc and Florin Ochescu. The song is only 3 minutes long, but man, I find it quite amazing!

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EyeHeartProg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2018 at 13:05
Oh man, that was good! (Yes meets Mahavishnu!)  I'm wondering if it was part of a longer piece - the intro and ending are fairly abrupt (unless of course, that was their ethos).  :) 

Thank you for that gem, may have to do that one instead of "Zoomahia"... 

Any idea where I can buy/download all this stuff?  I guess I can see if my app for extracting audio from YouTube still works, but I hate to do that, I'd rather buy/support, etc.

Thank you again very much!

==================

But I'm open.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2018 at 16:14
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Phoenix had a lot of hits (let's say hits, but it's more like famous songs). They started early 60s and back then they were a what people call a "beat" band. Starting 1965 they became successful and pissed of censorship from the very start. They had several singles and EPs before they released their debut album in 1973 - Cei ce Ne-au Dat Nume - which was an ambitious project that blends rock and folklore. They continued with Mugur de Fluier in 1974 and then came Cantafabule. They tried to make music in Germany in the 80s but with little success. They released a couple of albums in the 90s and 2000s, best one being Baba Novak in 2005. 

Other Romanian prog bands I can think of right now are Sfinx, Accent, Progresiv TM, early FFN, Celelalte Cuvinte, ProMusica, ExperimetalQ, Marius Popp. There are also some bands that got to record just a few songs back in the day, as the record label of the day, Electrecord did not give them a chance for full LP. 

Later day there are The Egocentrics, Alternativ Quartet, Kumm, Byron, Echo. That's all i can think of now. 

There are some post rock bands, too. Also if you want to hear some non-prog, I can help you with that as well. :)
Thanks for this info. I must confess I did not know anything about these bands, and I'm looking forward checking them out.
Cag71 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cag71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2018 at 09:12
Originally posted by EyeHeartProg EyeHeartProg wrote:

Oh man, that was good! (Yes meets Mahavishnu!)  I'm wondering if it was part of a longer piece - the intro and ending are fairly abrupt (unless of course, that was their ethos).  :) 

Thank you for that gem, may have to do that one instead of "Zoomahia"... 

Any idea where I can buy/download all this stuff?  I guess I can see if my app for extracting audio from YouTube still works, but I hate to do that, I'd rather buy/support, etc.

Thank you again very much!

Electrecord's whole catalogue including Phoenix, Celelalte Cuvinte, FFN, Progresiv TM, Sfinx and many others can be bought and downloaded on the French site Qobuz. Only snag is that you need to be in France to register - so if you have any French friends, perhaps they can help out with your purchases.

Rodion GA is available on Bandcamp, as are Kumm and byron.

Alternativ Quartet offer free downloads from their site.

Another band worth checking out is Ethos. Tracks available on YouTube - Visul, Caut Nume and Miezul Noptii.

Sorry, I can't post links or videos: for some reason, the system isn't letting me and keeps telling me that I don't have permission.

Edited by Cag71 - June 05 2018 at 09:15
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2018 at 09:17

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EyeHeartProg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2018 at 08:10
Originally posted by Cag71 Cag71 wrote:

Electrecord's whole catalogue including Phoenix, Celelalte Cuvinte, FFN, Progresiv TM, Sfinx and many others can be bought and downloaded on the French site Qobuz. Only snag is that you need to be in France to register - so if you have any French friends, perhaps they can help out with your purchases.

Another band worth checking out is Ethos. Tracks available on YouTube - Visul, Caut Nume and Miezul Noptii.

Sorry, I can't post links or videos: for some reason, the system isn't letting me and keeps telling me that I don't have permission.

Thanks very much for the info!  Yeah, I did run into that site, Qobuz, in my searches.  Looked cool, though.  I wonder if it's a question of being there.  I'll be in France sometime this Summer, so I'll try while there, hopefully it's only a IP addresses matter.
==================

But I'm open.
Cag71 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cag71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2018 at 04:40
Originally posted by EyeHeartProg EyeHeartProg wrote:

Thanks very much for the info!  Yeah, I did run into that site, Qobuz, in my searches.  Looked cool, though.  I wonder if it's a question of being there.  I'll be in France sometime this Summer, so I'll try while there, hopefully it's only a IP addresses matter.

I think you can access it and make an account with a French IP, and resister, but the tricky thing is paying if you are in another country.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EyeHeartProg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2018 at 00:40

I think you can access it and make an account with a French IP, and resister, but the tricky thing is paying if you are in another country.

Good point.  We shall see around the beginning of July then!  I'll let you all know...

Cheers!
==================

But I'm open.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2018 at 15:36
The first Accent album is a gem (the original, though the re-recording is good too) --

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Cag71 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cag71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2018 at 07:56
Their later 2007 release Coincidente premeditate is also excellent, if you can manage to get hold of a copy.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2018 at 13:31
Excellent discussion!  

I was a tourist in Romania in 1979 (I won a Dracula contest!), and while on a tour bus, heard Yes' "Awaken" on the radio!  I was surprised and pleased!  

So, it would not surprise me to find native Romanian prog, I hope to check out these leads!  Thank you! 
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
 Post Reply Post Reply