Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Catching Up

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Catching Up
    Posted: December 21 2018 at 12:19
Hi all,  Long time collaborator here, I've been out of the prog scene for the past five years or so but have been starting to get the bug again.  So, what do I need to catch up on?  My tastes are centered on the more melodic side of things, Crossover, Neo, Symph.  I do enjoy a certain amount of Heavy Prog, Prog Metal and Eclectic.  So, to catch up, what do i need to listen to?
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2018 at 13:24
Welcome back Roland! Hug Glad to see you back. Now..what to listen to in order to catch up? Suppose you tell us where you left off and we can go from there. If you really can't remember, then what artists are your favorites?

Edited by SteveG - December 21 2018 at 13:26
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2018 at 13:29
I think IQ, Arena, Jadis, Galahad and Pendragon have continued to keep the neo-prog flag flying in recent years. Marillion's last couple of albums have been exceptional. Big Big Train have hit a rich vein of quality of consistency ever since The Underfall Yard album - mixing a English pastoral melodic style with prog and a hint of folk. Lifesigns are very melodic, even if the second album didn't match the debut. Threshold have hit a high with melodic metal with the 'Shires' album. Haken and Tesseract go from strength to strength. Anathema continue to develop that ethereal prog style, along with Riverside and others. John Mitchell's various projects: Lonely Robot, Kino, It Bites.... are high on melodic content and Mystery and Southern Empire's two recent releases don't necessarily push the progressive boundary, but are very enjoyable all the same. All very random, personal views.... a hell of a lot has happened over the last 5 years, which others can summarise better, but hopefully it gets the chat going! Welcome back!

P.S. Don't know if Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson were your cup of tea - but he's produced a lot of very good solo stuff over recent years, with Raven, Grace, Hand and 4.5 highlights. To the Bone isn't to everyone's taste - but it has its moments amongst the poppy moments.

Edited by Squonk19 - December 21 2018 at 13:36
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2018 at 13:38
Nice to see you ~

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2018 at 15:36
I agree wholeheartedly with Squonk19 on what I'm familiar with (Marillion , IQ and Big Big Train and Riverside on the heavier side of things).  Also, I am enjoying the heck out of iamthemorning.  
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2018 at 17:55
I agree with iamthemorning, and Gleb Kolyadin's recent solo piano album is wonderful - Penrose Stairs and The Best of Days are played regularly on my playlists.

Edited by Squonk19 - December 21 2018 at 18:00
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2018 at 18:10
That is a fantastic solo project (with guests)....thanks for bringing that up, something not to be missed for those who enjoy stellar musicianship.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2018 at 20:53
So what is it, since 2014? You did were paying attention on 2012 and 2013, for those were some great years for music too. However, since 2014 my favourite albums have been: Distant Satellites by Anathema, The Road of Bones by IQ, The Endless River by Pink Floyd (in case you were in a cave and didn't know about this one), L'enigma della Vita by Logos, Ego Georgius by Georgius, Until all the ghosts are gone by Anekdoten, Lighthouse by Iamthemorning, Sorceress by Opeth, String Theory by Georgius, Return to Ommadawn by Mike Oldfield, Remedies by Soup, Otra Dimensión by Ekos, Seven Widows by Believe.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2018 at 21:05
I'll have to listen to that Mike Oldfield Return to Ommadawn...I loved the original, Tubular Bells and Hergest Ridge...
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2018 at 09:49
Welcome back Tom!  Good to see you around these parts.  I suggest that you check out the PA albums of the year polls from the past couple of years to see if there is anything on them that you might find of interest. 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2018 at 12:38
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

I'll have to listen to that Mike Oldfield Return to Ommadawn...I loved the original, Tubular Bells and Hergest Ridge...

I really loved this new one... a real return to form. I don't think I have heard someone return to the sound of the glory days decades after them and managing to sound so good and not tired and like just going through the motions. It really works nicely among those original albums. I mean, it doesn't really top the original Ommadawn album, but it doesn't have to, since the original is one of the best albums ever (in my opinion, side A is top 5 songs material). Return to Ommadawn sounds as if it was made just after Incantations without trying to fit into the next decade.
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2019 at 09:46
Thanks all, sorry I've been wrapped up over the holidays.  There's a lot of good recommendations that I'll be using for the new year.  I guess to give a little more detail in deference to SteveG's original request . . . 

Ok, where did I leave off . . . 

Spock's Beard - Oblivion Particle: I bought but it didn't do anything for me
IQ - The Road of Bones:  Still listen to that
Riverside - Shrines of a New Generation:  Got that when it came out, enjoyed it.  Bought the brand new one, love that too
Devin Townsend - Z2 or Epicloud whichever was later - Still enjoy Devin
Steve Wilson - Hand Cannot Erase:  Saw him on that tour
The Pineapple Thief - Magnoila:  Love that album

That being said, I have a nice list to get me started, I'll drop back in here from time to time to let you know what I'm thinking.  Thank you again for the warm welcome back and the recommendations.
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2019 at 00:32
Magenta - We Are Legend (assuming you like Seven) and also the live DVD which showcases both those albums. Happy listening!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2019 at 14:26
Wobbler...From Silence To Somewhere
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply