Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Zombies?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zombies?
    Posted: September 18 2019 at 22:24
...a psychedelic group seemingly suitable for Proto-Prog. Yet I can’t believe they haven’t been considered. Praps not Prog enough?
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2019 at 02:08
They've been suggested here twice already, but no SC has thrown 'em to (ex-)Admins.

As for Proto / Related suggestion, at least one of Special Collabs should directly PM to Admins.

Any SC who can shout for them?
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2019 at 09:11
I'm shocked that they aren't already in PA database! DEFINITELY proto-prog! Think of all the organ sounds in the early classic albums that Rod Argent prepped and primed! And Colin Blunstone is a true classic prog artist, contributing to many other albums of repute.
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2019 at 10:52
possible bio:

==============
The ZOMBIES originated in St. Albans, Hertfordshire, England, in the early 1960s. Like their countrymen the BEATLES, the PRETTY THINGS, and the MOODY BLUES, the Zombies began as an R&B-influenced combo, evolving to embrace British psychedelia, and coming to represent what is today considered proto-progressive rock. However, unlike those bands, the Zombies dissolved in 1968, right after releasing their seminal work <i>Odessey and Oracle</i>.
<p>
The most notable members of the group were its songwriters Chris White (bass) and Rod Argent (keyboards), and its vocalist, Colin Blunstone. During the first round of Beatlemania, they had two top-10 singles in the US: “She’s Not There,” which hit #2 on <i>Billboard</i> Hot 100, and “Tell Her No” (#6). Critic Richie Unterberger calls it “mystifying” that the band’s 1965 and 1966 singles weren’t just as successful, though he suggests that “their original compositions and arrangements were in some senses too adventurous for the radio.”
<p>
Recorded in 1967 and released the following year, <i>Odessey and Oracle</i> barely cracked the album charts. By the time “Time of the Season,” the primary single from <i>Odessey</i>, became a US hit in the spring of 1969, Argent had formed the crossover-prog outfit ARGENT, to which White would contribute as a songwriter; Blunstone would later serve as an occasional vocalist with the ALAN PARSONS PROJECT.
<p>
The Zombies’ merger of complexity, accessibility, and progressiveness can be heard in later works by crossover-progressive acts like TODD RUNDGREN, ELECTRIC LIGHT ORCHESTRA, and SUPERTRAMP.
<p>
The Zombies re-formed in 1990 and sporadically thereafter; coinciding with a critical rediscovery of <i>Odessey and Oracle</i> in the mid-2000s, the group began touring regularly. In its latest (2012) list of the “Greatest Albums of All Time,” <i>Rolling Stone</i> lists <i>Odessey and Oracle</i> at #100. And in 2019, the Zombies were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
==============
patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2019 at 23:57
Links
* Zombies official band site; contains “lyric videos” of all songs on Odessey and Oracle under the music tab
* From YouTube: The Zombies - Begin Here (full album) official (1965 debut album) | “Time of the Season
* More about Odessey: BBC | medium.com | Pitchfork | People magazine    

Edited by patrickq - September 25 2019 at 00:19
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2019 at 01:08
Anyone can knock my door?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2019 at 06:11
To start off, let me say that I'm a Zombies fanatic and Rod Argent is one of the nicest musicians that I've ever come across. Colin Blunstone seems as nice but I've never had any meaningful conversations with him to verify, but his genteel reputation speaks for itself. I think the problem with including the Zombies, and particularly the Odessey and Oracle album form 1967, is they and it were very much on the tail end the 60's psychedelic craze and both were ignored on that phenomenal album's initial release, until 1969 when Time Of The Season stormed the charts. So, as far as being an inspiration it doesn't really have any. Psych rock was well and truly over by 1968 and musical tastes moved on as well. 

As far as musical content, Odessey and Oracle certainly has proto prog characteristics, with it's trippy pop songs supported by luscious mellotron, but it's lack of impact may be the reason why it was not suggested.

Edited by SteveG - September 25 2019 at 07:12
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2019 at 14:10
If influence on other artists is a criterion for addition of artists to PA, I agree. The group has generally been ignored by critics, at least until very recently (e.g., their HoF induction; see BBC etc. articles above), and I'm not aware of, say, 1970s or 1980s artists claiming that the Zombies were a major influence. 

But it seems like several proto-prog acts are listed here despite similar fates; Tomorrow comes to mind as an example.

If influence is just one measure of deservedness, then I think the Zombies should be considered. I also agree that they weren't prog per se, but proto-prog. However, I'll add that while I think Odessey and Oracle is great, I'm not personally invested in whether the band is listed here - - there are a few acts that I feel strongly about, but here I only feel strongly that they should be considered.

Thanks!
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2019 at 00:31
the Zombies are still producing songs and have put out more albums on 2000/10. and are still active in the studio in working with material.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2019 at 07:18
See the source image

See the source image

Their fantastic 2015 album Still Got That Hunger!

Edited by SteveG - September 26 2019 at 07:20
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2019 at 07:42
Originally posted by DamoXt7942 DamoXt7942 wrote:

Cup of tea?

(hehehehe)
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2019 at 09:17
Another great album, from 2011: Breathe In, Breathe Out. Their second best after O&O.

Edited by SteveG - September 27 2019 at 06:07
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2019 at 08:30
Originally posted by DamoXt7942 DamoXt7942 wrote:

I didn't realized to have been promoted SC. I'll give a listen as they are so old that I barely remember them. In case I'll bump on you.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2019 at 08:33
Now I remember them, but unless there's something more relevant, it would be like suggesting the Animals. I'll dig a bit more.

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2019 at 10:29
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Now I remember them, but unless there's something more relevant, it would be like suggesting the Animals. I'll dig a bit more.

See the source image
This album Luka, from 1967: Odessey and Oracle.
 Post Reply Post Reply