Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Triumvirat Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2024 at 23:20
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Is this anything to do with the 'gated reverb' affect that was used by Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins on PG3 and later just by Collins on In The Air Tonight?
No. It's a totally different sound! The IoaDD drum sound is super dry and crispy, exactly what you'd expect from a 70's drum recording, except the snare mic track has a short repeat after the initial hit, so insted of 'Ptsch', you hear 'PtschPtsch'. :)

Different sound for sure but was just wondering of the production techniques were in anyway similar Smile
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2024 at 13:15
No clue. You gotta ask the engineer. I think they used a different technique because in 1973-1974 the commonly used recording techniques were different in general to what came along in the early 80's plus the gated reverb sound was originally achieved by recording the drums in a stone room I think and placing the microphones in a very specific spot. On IoaDD my guess would be that the mixer used a tape echo or something similar.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Dapper~Blueberries View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dapper~Blueberries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2024 at 11:28
You know this group has kind of always interested me, but I never got around to listening to them. I heard they were kind of like ELP, and as a ELP fan that certainly intrigues me. Plus Double Dimple and Spartacus have really cute album covers, I mean look at that little mousey! They're adorable! :3
D~B
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2024 at 13:27
You definitely should!
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2024 at 16:45
Originally posted by Dapper~Blueberries Dapper~Blueberries wrote:

You know this group has kind of always interested me, but I never got around to listening to them. I heard they were kind of like ELP, and as a ELP fan that certainly intrigues me. Plus Double Dimple and Spartacus have really cute album covers, I mean look at that little mousey! They're adorable! :3
Where ELP were a gritty and heavy organ driven band, T-Rat was a little more refined and jazzy. Now don't get me wrong, They are excellent prog/symphonic. So if you haven't really sat down and given them a listen, then take it from me (a HUGE ELP fan)...Do It ! Go through the discography chronologically, you won't be disappointment. Well, until you get to Russian Roulette, then all bets are off.

Edited by JD - February 01 2024 at 16:46
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2024 at 17:02
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Where ELP were a gritty and heavy organ driven band, T-Rat was a little more refined and jazzy. Now don't get me wrong, They are excellent prog/symphonic. So if you haven't really sat down and given them a listen, then take it from me (a HUGE ELP fan)...Do It ! Go through the discography chronologically, you won't be disappointment. Well, until you get to Russian Roulette, then all bets are off.
They have been compared to ELP, but, I find they have their own overall vibe or atmosphere to their music, so for me, they are unique! Let us all know what you think of them. And, yeah, their last official album Russian Roulette is a pretty far stretch from their appealing characteristics.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dapper~Blueberries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2024 at 20:56
Alrighty. I'll check em' out soon enough!
D~B
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2024 at 01:12

Hi Dylan; I also enjoy Triumvirat very much. Whilst I think Dimple is their finest offering (Spartacus not far behind), I would actually say Mediterranean Tales (debut) is a very good place to start, to get into their sound; it's not quite as complex and I think it's quite underrated.  It's also usually the one you can pick up cheapest!
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2024 at 06:27
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dapper~Blueberries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2024 at 08:44
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

Hi Dylan; I also enjoy Triumvirat very much. Whilst I think Dimple is their finest offering (Spartacus not far behind), I would actually say Mediterranean Tales (debut) is a very good place to start, to get into their sound; it's not quite as complex and I think it's quite underrated.  It's also usually the one you can pick up cheapest!

Alrighty! I will be sure to check that out first
D~B
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2024 at 13:34
Just my opinion, but the best place to start, especially if you're already an ELP diehard, is Spartacus.

Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2024 at 13:54
But you know what got me hooked personally? IoaDD.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dapper~Blueberries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2024 at 13:51
So I have just finished the first 3 Triumvirat records, and they don't quite remind me of ELP, more so stuff from the RPI scene like PFM or Le Orme. But they're really good, honestly surprised I have not heard any of their stuff earlier. I think my favorite of theirs right now is Spartacus, just very consistently good.
D~B
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2024 at 17:41

So I have just finished the first 3 Triumvirat records, and they don't quite remind me of ELP, more so stuff from the RPI scene like PFM or Le Orme. But they're really good, honestly surprised I have not heard any of their stuff earlier. I think my favorite of theirs right now is Spartacus, just very consistently good.
Thanks for your impressions. Thumbs Up
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2024 at 16:20
Listening to 'Illusions on a Double Dimple' right now (first time listen) I can certainly see the ELP influence, they're similar, but Triumvrate seems lighter, less bombastic. Fantastic record this!
Cause its only knock and know all, but I like it...

Writing (Or Suffering from Writers Block)

Working on a New Album|Bandcamp
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2024 at 03:04
IoaDD is a particularly lighthearted album. One of the things that makes it unique and differentiates it from ELP's output is the use of guest strings, horns, female harmony adlibs, occasional co-lead vocals (provided by Fritz), and lots of acoustic guitar (used more extensively that on any studio ELP album)

EDIT: I listened to the title song again, and noticed an uncredited harpsichord part at 9:46! How could I not notice it before!? xD Also there's a clavinet riff at 13:10 (miscredited as electric piano). EDIT2: it actually might be a Hohner Pianet N.

EDIT3: Or maybe Fritz had a Hohner Duo? It's technically an Pianet N electric piano with a clavinet mechanism inside.

Edited by Hrychu - February 28 2024 at 03:34
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2024 at 13:58
I have been facebook friends with former Triumvirat singers Barry Palmer and David Hanselmann for quite some time, and both have mentioned something is in the works-what and to what extent I do not know, yet-regarding a revival of Triumvirat.....Hanselmann said he had been in conversation with Juergen Fritz.....I will keep you people that are interested posted of developments.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2024 at 10:42
^ Interesting, so yes, please, keep us posted.
Can also become something very disappointing, with so much time passed since (either too retro or too distant...), but it will be interesting anyway to hear it if something new will be released.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2024 at 05:33
One for you Doug. I'm currently de-cluttering and came across a number of music mags I used to read. Most have articles about ELP (my fav band). However I did see this.
From the Jan. 1976 Issue of Circus magazine

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2024 at 10:15
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

One for you Doug. I'm currently de-cluttering and came across a number of music mags I used to read. Most have articles about ELP (my fav band). However I did see this.
From the Jan. 1976 Issue of Circus magazine

Awesome! Barry Palmer mentioned in his site that they had this poster all over North America at the time....Barry wanted to tour the album in North America , etc., but Juergen wouldn't, and Palmer felt it was a lost opportunity....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345