Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

King Crimson - Lizard (1970)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2020 at 04:53
Clap to BaldJean for great postings regarding the Beatles and to Frenetic Zetetic for the great choice of avatar!
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2020 at 01:11
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Clap to BaldJean for great postings regarding the Beatles and to Frenetic Zetetic for the great choice of avatar!

Yes thank you BaldJean for all that KC wisdom in such a short period - and thank you for noticing the avatar switch! My "gimmick" is to switch to the album I'm in the process of reviewing; it'll keep me on task to meet my goal of more PA reviews in 2020!

It'll be posted in a day or two and I'll link from this thread so you all can read it Cool Thumbs Up.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2020 at 04:06
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

The lyrics are a bit vague but the Beatles aspect on the cover art is well known and has been written about many times over the years.
I found, like most, the Beatles' identities in the lyrics straight forward, it was the other lyrics that I found vague. I'll post them again, quoting Jean's post:

"lots of other references to the Beatles in the lyrics, like for example "each to his revolving doors" (again a double metaphor referring to their split and their album "Revolver"), "BEAT the clock", "Sergeant mirror", "barber's win" (a reference to "Penny Lane"), "silver rolls from golden rock" (referring to their Rolls-Royces and their golden records)"
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2020 at 11:18
I've been inspired by all of the many King Crimson appreciation threads here on PA to give King Crimson's "Lizard" album another listen for the first time in well over forty years, and amazingly, I'm beginning to rather like it too. I may even go out and buy it one day. Wonders never cease. One can only presume that I was too young to truly appreciate the complexities of the "Lizard" album back in the 1970's when I was still in my teens.  Smile
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2020 at 11:39
^ Changed your mind after 40 years of having heard it once. Will wonders never cease.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2020 at 12:10
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I've been inspired by all of the many King Crimson appreciation threads here on PA to give King Crimson's "Lizard" album another listen for the first time in well over forty years, and amazingly, I'm beginning to rather like it too. I may even go out and buy it one day. Wonders never cease. One can only presume that I was too young to truly appreciate the complexities of the "Lizard" album back in the 1970's when I was still in my teens.  Smile
Great to hear! Well, I think you will like at least "Islands" too!
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2020 at 15:19
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Islands is much easer to get into.... because there is very little to dig & get into. TongueWink

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2020 at 15:37
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Islands is much easer to get into.... because there is very little to dig & get into. TongueWink

I still need to pick up ITWoP and Islands 30th anniversary discs. Thanks for the reminder! Thumbs Up

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2020 at 15:38

To me Islands is something of a, for my money, too often buried treasure of King Crimson -- it doesn't tend to get near the recognition of other KC albums. I dig the Islands' not so buried treasures. Just beware the foul pirate booty of pirated copies as well as the booty shakin' DJ Blackbuns' Pirates of the Caribbean Islands Remix.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2020 at 15:58
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^ Changed your mind after 40 years of having heard it once. Will wonders never cease.
You never know, I might even grow to like Larks' Tongues in Aspic one day. Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2020 at 16:04
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

To me Islands is something of a, for my money, too often buried treasure of King Crimson -- it doesn't tend to get near the recognition of other KC albums. I dig the Islands' not so buried treasures. Just beware the foul pirate booty of pirated copies as well as the booty shakin' DJ Blackbuns' Pirates of the Caribbean Islands Remix.
I've been listening to the Islands album today, and I'm liking that album too. I'm choosing my favourite songs from each of eight King Crimson albums to post on the "Make Your Own King Crimson Album" thread, so it's given me a good excuse to listen to all of King Crimson's albums again for the first time in many many years. Smile
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2020 at 21:52

I've been listening to the Islands album today, and I'm liking that album too. I'm choosing my favourite songs from each of eight King Crimson albums to post on the "Make Your Own King Crimson Album" thread, so it's given me a good excuse to listen to all of King Crimson's albums again for the first time in many many years. Smile
Many great sad, melodic songs also in Larks-Red -albums, as "Book Of Saturday", "Exiles", "Easy Money", "the Night Watch", "Trio", "Fallen Angel", "One More Red Nightmare" and of course "Starless". The reason why King Crimson is my big favorites that they can sound really rude & really hysteric beautiful in same album, sometimes in same piece!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2020 at 01:41

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

You never know, I might even grow to like Larks' Tongues in Aspic one day. Wink

Hey pal, if you don't like LTIA, you can get the hell out! Wink

Just playing! I'm amazed you're not into KC (I had no idea you were a little older than myself!) with some of your other posts, though!

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2020 at 01:52

Islands is very short on ideas, considering te band was already on the road well before the recording sessions. There are two tracks that are recycled ideas, including one from the GG&F era and another dating from Poseidon or even Court (I believe)...

The main attraction IMHO is the "Tippett Boys' interventions (Keith Tippet / piano - Robin Miller / oboe - Mark Charig / cornet - Harry Miller / double bass) and interactions with Collins' wind instruments on the opening & closing tracks (but then again, this was already the case in Lizrad, and much better therer).
The only tracks that really tinkers my bell is the sizzling Letters. Formantera, Sailor and Islands are OK, but no more. Furthermore, Prelude is a bit of a bore (I liked it yesterdecades), and a bit of a filler (I mean, it's ok - naive - but it's got nothing to do on a Crimson album).

Not to mention the US (North Am, really) original release's atrocious sleeve artworkDead (even as an innersleeve it sucks)

Edited by Sean Trane - February 08 2020 at 01:59
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2020 at 03:20

Islands is very short on ideas, considering te band was already on the road well before the recording sessions. There are two tracks that are recycled ideas, including one from the GG&F era and another dating from Poseidon or even Court (I believe)...

The main attraction IMHO is the "Tippett Boys' interventions (Keith Tippet / piano - Robin Miller / oboe - Mark Charig / cornet - Harry Miller / double bass) and interactions with Collins' wind instruments on the opening & closing tracks (but then again, this was already the case in Lizrad, and much better therer).
The only tracks that really tinkers my bell is the sizzling Letters. Formantera, Sailor and Islands are OK, but no more. Furthermore, Prelude is a bit of a bore (I liked it yesterdecades), and a bit of a filler (I mean, it's ok - naive - but it's got nothing to do on a Crimson album).

Not to mention the US (North Am, really) original release's atrocious sleeve artworkDead (even as an innersleeve it sucks)
To me a-side of Islands is as great as their other seventies albums. First I wasnīt very impressed of the calmness of second side, but in many listenings have started to love it also. If I had to choose, then I will choose Islands weakest KC 60/70-album, but that doesnīt mean itīs weak album, to me itīs far better than any after seventies album. I also have always loved the cover as also all the KC 60/70 -albums (well Starless & Bible has little boring cover, but as vinyl with embossed gatefold cover is ok).

Edit: Just noticed itīs quite different in US pressing. Yes, youīre right, what a boring cover comparing to UK version.
Foxprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2020 at 03:33
Ahh the classic Lizard. Never Will I get bored of this masterpiece. I felt instantly in love after hearing "Cirkus" for the first time.

"Indoor Games" is the weakest track for me. Title track is a strong contender to surpass the legendary "Starless". Jon Anderson does fantastic job in the opening + it host's the best Bolero in this planet.

And I think Island is a great album too. "Formentera Lady" + the title track belong to the highest class of Crimsonisque...

I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2020 at 04:50

I purchased and heard "Lizard" for first time just over a week ago. Starting from the late '70s until a few years ago, my only two King Crimson albums were "In the Court of the Crimson King" and "Beat". Some tracks are great, other tracks I could live without, and the albums overall did not appeal to me enough to seek any more King Crimson music.

But since visiting PA, I felt the need to obtain more King Crimson albums for educational purposes. It started with "In the Wake of Poseidon" which seemed to me like an inferior clone of the debut. Then I got "Red", which I quite like and even prefer it to the debut, though I don't see it as a masterpiece like others here. Then I got "Discipline", which starts quite well even it does sound a bit like Talking Heads, but by the time it's finished I'm really quite sick of Fripp's guitar style. Then I got "Larks' Tongues in Aspic", an album whose appeal eludes me. At that stage, I considered that was enough King Crimson for me.

But then I decided to get one more album: "Lizard". This album is more in the style of the debut than the last three albums I got, but is also quite different from the debut. Although I'm still not familiar enough with the album to come to any conclusions about the album, I think it may eventually become my favourite King Crimson album over "Red".

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2020 at 23:50
Perhaps you should check out some live King Crimson. For apreciating the Larks Tongues era, you might want to check out Collectlable King Crimson Vol 1, with better versions of Easy Money and Exiles (as well as having Larks Tongues part 2, and my very favourite version of Starless). Then for 80's Crimson, and the double trio album, there's Vroom Vroom... mostly all that I like from 80's Crimson is included, and in better versions (because of the double trio). And last, some new live Crimson from the recent tours, which have songs from all their eras.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123