16 [44.44%]
2 [5.56%]
18 [50.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cboi Sandlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2021 at 09:37
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

^ I didn't say you were a sociopath, show me where I said that.

Lol you are acting like I'm the stupid one when you can't remember like 5 minutes ago. You literally said "Sure there are some rednecks, sociopaths and other dimwits not wearing masks, but also a lot of educated types who are." 
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2021 at 09:50
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Flu viruses are not coronaviruses. Some cold viruses are coronaviruses, but not all, and the most common colds are not coronaviruses.

The idea that flu cases are low because they have been rediagnosed as coronavirus is completely disingenuous, and easily refuted by looking at countries where there have been low cases of Covid-19. It’s an easy trap to fall into, and I can understand why people do, but it’s false.

The reason flu cases are down is because people are wearing masks and social distancing, etc. It is not because flu is being mis-diagnosed as COVID-19.

If you don’t believe me, then look at NZ which has had the one of the best responses to COVID-19, one of the lowest death rates from it - AND hardly any flu cases compared to a normal year.

In the UK, I have seen people make the same assumption (misdiagnosis), because the UK has a huge amount of COVID-19 cases, but very few flu cases. It is easy to see, therefore, why some people assume this is because flu cases are being misdiagnosed as COVID-19.

BUT

If that were the case, then you would not expect to see the same extreme decrease in flu cases in NZ, where they aren’t likely to be misdiagnosed as COVID-19, simply because there’s not much of it in NZ.

Basically, you can take any country in the world, and regardless of whether they have a lot or only very few COVID-19 cases, there is a notable reduction in flu cases.

Also, before anyone wants to call me out, my own medical credentials (or lack thereof) are irrelevant, and I’m not the one in the hospitals that has to determine whether a patient is suffering from flu or COVID-19. And I’m quite happy to believe that the doctors know what they are diagnosing.

Basically, in countries with both large amounts of COVID-19, and in countries with low amounts of COVID-19, there has been the same reduction in flu cases. This simply wouldn’t happen if flu were being misdiagnosed as COVID-19 on a grand scale.

You’re free to call BS if you like. I’m not trying to change your mind - just stating reported facts. What you choose to do with them is up to you. 🤷🏻‍♂️

This is not going to get through their heads.  I will give my example - in vain - here.  In India, we don't have the typical influenza that hits Europe and US in the winter. We do get viral fever in coastal cities like Mumbai but it's not really contagious, not in the same way as covid. 

But we do have covid and even with reasonable mask discipline for a third world country with lots of poverty, we have lots of cases, lots of deaths too. 

And yes, long covid. As in your case, my CT scan is clean and only reports something that apparently suggests sequelae of a previous infection (from the time I got covid).  But that sequelae is nothing to sniff at.  I was down with terrible weakness all of last week.  I took no medication whatsoever and yet slept several hours in the day time (apart from a regular 8 hours sleep for the night). I had difficulty climbing stairs and started breathing heavily when I did so last week (which is what set off the alarm bells).  And I am 35.   

None of the above is going to convince those who have already made up their minds but, no, it's NOT flu rediagnosed as covid.  I can positively affirm that we never had something like this here in India.  And I do hope it will eventually mutate and die or become as harmless as a regular viral, because I don't think we could afford or manage annual vaccination drives. 
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2021 at 10:01
Originally posted by Cboi Sandlin Cboi Sandlin wrote:

^ I didn't say you were a sociopath, show me where I said that.

Lol you are acting like I'm the stupid one when you can't remember like 5 minutes ago. You literally said "Sure there are some rednecks, sociopaths and other dimwits not wearing masks, but also a lot of educated types who are." 
I did not personally mention you as being part of any of those groups. If you choose to include yourself in one of those groups, that is your choice, not mine.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2021 at 10:36

Re Cboi Sandlin "Okay, so tell me, if masks work at all, then when the mask mandate here in Texas was lifted, you would have expected the COVID cases to skyrocket, but that didn't happen, the cases are actually going down."

The trouble with this statement is that you are assuming that all Texans quit wearing masks, which of course is not true. Most Texans who care about keeping those around them safe are still wearing masks. I used to live in Texas and still have lots of family and friends there who tell me what is going on.
Sure there are some rednecks, sociopaths and other dimwits not wearing masks, but also a lot of educated types who are.

There is also a lag time between when people take their guard down and case numbers go up. In another week or two we'll know how Texans are doing. But there are more unknown variables this time than during the previous waves. We have a combination of fast-spreading variants taking place while vaccinations are on the rise. Whether this will even things out or go one way or the other is unpredictable now. Epidemiologists are concerned about a fourth wave, and rightly so.

Here in Pennsylvania, we also seem to have a rural/urban divide about mask-wearing, but it does cross that divide occasionally.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2021 at 10:49
^ Truth is, a lot of Texans are still wearing their masks and a lot of businesses in Texas are still enforcing mask mandates for their business. Just because the state government no longer has a mandate does not mean that most businesses are following suit.

Surely some of you heard about the woman who was arrested in a B of A in League City TX for not wearing a mask and causing a commotion about it. This happened well after Abbot lifted the state mandate.

P.S. If you are wondering about the legality of the arrest. The bank asked her to leave their property and she refused so she was arrested for trespassing.

Edited by Easy Money - March 30 2021 at 10:52
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2021 at 10:55
That's good to hear. Gives me hope we'll get out of this sooner than later. Thumbs Up
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2021 at 11:06

^ Truth is, a lot of Texans are still wearing their masks and a lot of businesses in Texas are still enforcing mask mandates for their business. Just because the state government no longer has a mandate does not mean that most businesses are following suit.

Surely some of you heard about the woman who was arrested in a B of A in League City TX for not wearing a mask and causing a commotion about it. This happened well after Abbot lifted the state mandate.

P.S. If you are wondering about the legality of the arrest. The bank asked her to leave their property and she refused so she was arrested for trespassing.
Ah, good old trespassing and jaywalking. Get's every time.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2021 at 12:07
Regarding trying to convince someone of reason and truth....in this case that masks do help.....there's an old Irish saying:
'Never try to teach a pig to sing, you'll just waste your time and annoy the pig.'

Wink

Edited by dr wu23 - March 30 2021 at 12:07
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2021 at 13:00
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Regarding trying to convince someone of reason and truth....in this case that masks do help.....there's an old Irish saying:
'Never try to teach a pig to sing, you'll just waste your time and annoy the pig.'

Wink

Have you seen the tinfoil piggies
Without their starch-white masks?
Just a bit of social distance
Is all we've ever asked
Every Ken and Karen
Deny the virus!
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2021 at 13:43
Surgeons should stop wearing masks too.  I know I'd be tickled to go in for a tonsillectomy and see my surgery team barefaced.  

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910