Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which is your Prog band of the 2010s?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2020 at 04:54
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

So maybe I misunderstood the OP question......
  • Any artist (regardless of when they started) who released new material between 2010-2019?
  • Only an artist who began in 2010-2019?
OP listed IQ, so I take it that any artist as long as they released something in 2010-2019, which means Yes would qualify with 2 releases....so prog on with Yes, Paul! Clap
Thanks Catcher. That's the way I interpreted the question, and I think Jon Anderson deserves an honourable mention too for Survival & Other Stories (2011) and 1000 Hands: Chapter One (2019), even though he's not a band. And not forgetting Steve Hackett, who's released no less than five very good albums in a row between 2011 & 2019.  Thumbs Up

And you're perfectly right! I never said that the bands have to be formed in that period, they must have released music that you think was very important between 2010 and 2019, so a big yes to Yes!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2020 at 05:13
Yes and Renaissance being very important or relevant to the 2010s is like an invitation for sarcasm. 

There is a lot of new great music out there in the 2010s, new artists that deserve to be given a chance... 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2020 at 05:16

For me, it's Marillion and Edison's Children.

This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2020 at 05:18
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

For me, it's Marillion and Edison's Children.

thank you for mentioning Marillion. Tongue

I also agree about Edison's Children, definitely worth checking out. Thumbs Up
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2020 at 07:12
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Yes and Renaissance being very important or relevant to the 2010s is like an invitation for sarcasm. 

Yes and Renaissance are still important and relevant to me in the 2010's, even if to no one else here, and I'm accustomed by now to being mocked for my eclectic and sometimes bizarre tastes in prog, so no worries on that score. Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2020 at 07:39

Yes and Renaissance are still important and relevant to me in the 2010's, even if to no one else here, and I'm accustomed by now to being mocked for my eclectic and sometimes bizarre tastes in prog, so no worries on that score. Smile

I'm not mocking you, just disagreeing to something you stated here, that's all. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2020 at 08:05

I'm not mocking you, just disagreeing to something you stated here, that's all. 
I've been mocked here more times than the fabled Mock Turtle, but not necessarily by you. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 22 2020 at 11:46
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2020 at 11:34
I don't know. I guess it would be something between Steven Wilson and Big Big Train. I also loved Edison's Children a lot, and Georgious released a few really wonderful albums.
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2020 at 11:36
Wobbler, I think.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2020 at 11:58

And that's how I am taking the OP's question, not so much what band I think had the "best" output in the 2010s. That to me is a different topic altogether.........What's f'ed up about this notion is not a damn person would complain if someone mention the Fab Four as still being relevant in the 2010s, but yet we get our panties all in a wad if someone picks Yes and Renaissance.

My list would be:

The Pineapple Thief
Rush
Riverside
Marillion
Haken
The Flower Kings
Neal Morse 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2020 at 16:00

And that's how I am taking the OP's question, not so much what band I think had the "best" output in the 2010s. That to me is a different topic altogether.........What's f'ed up about this notion is not a damn person would complain if someone mention the Fab Four as still being relevant in the 2010s, but yet we get our panties all in a wad if someone picks Yes and Renaissance.

I just disagree that Yes did anything relevant in the 2010s. Or Renaissance for that matter. It's that what panties in a wad means? Good for you, man, good for you. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2020 at 16:09
^ Sorry to be "Captain Obvious" again, but getting your panties in a wad is the American equivalent of getting your knickers in a twist. Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2020 at 16:18

^ Sorry to be "Captain Obvious" again, but getting your panties in a wad is the American equivalent of getting your knickers in a twist. Smile

argh... you sure love it to stir some trouble....
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2020 at 17:05

I just disagree that Yes did anything relevant in the 2010s. Or Renaissance for that matter. It's that what panties in a wad means? Good for you, man, good for you. 
To disagree with Paul is fine on his choices, both released music in the 2010s and are relevant to him. Again, had OP stated only bands that started in the 2010s, which I think most were siding with, then his knickers or panties would be up his wad........LOL
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2020 at 18:17
Part of that decade I was on hiatus and missed out on some stuff. My tastes have changed over that time too, but some of the newer stuff I like now I haven't had the chance to go backwards into the 2010s to assess. So with that caveat in mind, I think I'm going to pick a not so well known Italian symphonic prog band called Conqueror with the excellent keyboardist and singer Simona Rigano. 

I think The Tangent, Izz, and Spock's Beard also had a pretty good run of albums during that time period.

Once I get around to assessing the stuff I missed, I very much expect to have a different answer when the question comes up in the future.

----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2020 at 22:35
To answer the question honestly I'd have to give it to bands who have improved over the journey of the 2010's, not bands who have either stayed the same or gone backwards. That eliminates a lot of bands I like. So that leaves:
Big Big Train (with Dave Gregory and David Longdon) 
Spock's Beard (with Ted Leonard)
Steven Wilson
Steve Hackett
IQ
Dream Theater (with the new drummer)
Flying Colors
Opeth
Anathema
The Flower Kings (with the new drummer and keyboard player) 
TheUniversalMigrator View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheUniversalMigrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2020 at 20:45
My personal favorite is Riverside. I first heard them in 2014 and I saw them live in 2019.
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 03:04
many
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 03:30
Originally posted by b_olariu b_olariu wrote:

many

Feel free to name them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234