Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taliking Heads vs Thomas Dolby

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taliking Heads vs Thomas Dolby
    Posted: January 13 2023 at 10:52
Why is TH worthy but TD is not? All of Dolby's albums are way more progressive that Talking Heads.
I await the wrath.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2023 at 11:16
Are you trying to burn down the house?
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2023 at 11:20
Only reference I could find to Thomas Dolby on this site.  https://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=36982&KW=dolby&PID=2474724#2474724

If you can find a special collaborator to make a case to the powers that be then maybe....  I don't know when the Talking Heads were added.  The rules for prog related have become alot tougher in recent years.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2023 at 11:54
I love them both, and would for sure not complain if Thomas Dolby were included... but... (a) Talking Heads started earlier and were more influential, and (b) there is the Byrne-Eno and also the Adrian Belew connection that personally related TH to prog. So I get why TH are there and TD is not.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2023 at 12:44
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I love them both, and would for sure not complain if Thomas Dolby were included... but... (a) Talking Heads started earlier and were more influential, and (b) there is the Byrne-Eno and also the Adrian Belew connection that personally related TH to prog. So I get why TH are there and TD is not.
So...Part 1, "More Influential" is not any kind of criteria for progressiveness. Strike one.
Part 2, that's purely pedigree and once again...not any kind of criteria for progressiveness Strike two.

Now, go and listen to the first three Dolby albums (excluding Gothic) and his last one. How is this NOT progressive?
Where's a damn special collaborator when you need them ???

Edited by JD - January 13 2023 at 12:45
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2023 at 13:13
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Are you trying to burn down the house?

I think he is
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2023 at 13:35
I think that he might be blinded by the science. 
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote earlyprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2023 at 13:47
Gotta love the artist name "Talking Heads vs Thomas Dolby" !

For Prog Related?
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2023 at 14:08
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

So...Part 1, "More Influential" is not any kind of criteria for progressiveness. Strike one.
Part 2, that's purely pedigree and once again...not any kind of criteria for progressiveness Strike two.

Now, go and listen to the first three Dolby albums (excluding Gothic) and his last one. How is this NOT progressive?
Where's a damn special collaborator when you need them ???

Well it's not me who is the problem here... Tongue
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2023 at 14:44
I would pick Talking Heads if this was a poll, but I do have to admit that Thomas Dolby is incredibly underappreciated. He really deserves more credit as a pioneer of music technology, as well as the many excellent contributions he's made as a session/touring musician Smile

Edit: I just realized that the post isn't about the quality of each artist, but rather the progressiveness LOL

Edited by Necrotica - January 13 2023 at 14:46
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2023 at 06:54
Hi,

While I will NOT say anything bad about a lot of the "admins" that voted in a lot of stuff ... there are some good folks there ... my only take is ... when is it about the music, instead of a favorite sound and more recognizable sound for any band?

Folks that experiment, might not be the "preferred" thing to look at since it is difficult to even decide where they belong ... and I would have stated right back ... I don't want to be in this area or next ... I'm OK with "progressive" and not OK with a lot of the other ... sub-standard groupings and definitions of music, some of which are ridiculous to say the least in musical terms!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2023 at 22:40
I'm not very familiar with Thomas Dolby but I always thought he was more new wave than prog. I remember a long time ago I knew a guy who was big into prog and this woman asked him if Thomas Dolby was prog and he said no. He might have been one of those progressive new wave guys but other than one or two songs I don't know for sure. I just always thought he was lumped in with new wave and not prog. 
 Post Reply Post Reply