Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report bugs here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Message box weirdness

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimAnder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Message box weirdness
    Posted: January 20 2023 at 17:39
I'm new to the ProgArchives forum but searched the archives and didn't find anyone else asking about this so forgive me if it's been asked before. There are two things I'm wondering about... First, whenever I start a new thread or reply to an existing one the Message box opens with a little square character right where I would normally be starting to type my message.  I've just been leaving it there, but what is it? Is it important? Is it just something to do with the browser I am using? (Safari v16.1 in macOS Monterey (12.6.1)

The other issue is more problematic... After I've typed some text, if I want to go back and edit it then where ever I drop the cursor isn't where the form starts editing, and I either backspace over some text I didn't mean to delete or I start typing in the middle of a word. It's as if it's not WYSIWYG. Is it just me? Any workarounds?  Oddly enough I just tried it while writing this post and now it's fine, but I had this problem in each of my previous posts.  Very strange indeed!
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2023 at 19:00
I always deleted the square character. Now I see that if I don't delete it it's not shown in the post.

Didn't understand the second problem. Confused

Edited by NotAProghead - January 20 2023 at 19:03
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2023 at 00:13
I always delete the square. Maybe not deleting it creates the second problem by misaligning where the system thinks the cursor is.

Edited by I prophesy disaster - January 21 2023 at 00:29
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2023 at 03:46
I get the square, don't know what character it's supposed to be but just delete it.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2023 at 04:40
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I get the square, don't know what character it's supposed to be but just delete it.

Same here.

I might've forgotten to delete it sometimes, but I haven't noticed consequences either.
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2023 at 05:00
Originally posted by JimAnder JimAnder wrote:

I'm new to the ProgArchives forum but searched the archives and didn't find anyone else asking about this so forgive me if it's been asked before. There are two things I'm wondering about... First, whenever I start a new thread or reply to an existing one the Message box opens with a little square character right where I would normally be starting to type my message.  I've just been leaving it there, but what is it? Is it important? Is it just something to do with the browser I am using? (Safari v16.1 in macOS Monterey (12.6.1)

The other issue is more problematic... After I've typed some text, if I want to go back and edit it then where ever I drop the cursor isn't where the form starts editing, and I either backspace over some text I didn't mean to delete or I start typing in the middle of a word. It's as if it's not WYSIWYG. Is it just me? Any workarounds?  Oddly enough I just tried it while writing this post and now it's fine, but I had this problem in each of my previous posts.  Very strange indeed!
I've also experienced the same problem with the cursor apparently having a life of its own where I sometimes accidentally write over and delete part of my text when the cursor jumps around the screen, although I'd always assumed that was a problem with my new Samsung laptop, as I've never experienced that problem with my old and reliable Acer Aspire laptop, which I'm using now to type this message. 
JimAnder View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimAnder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2023 at 18:51
OK, well glad I'm not the only one noticing the square.  I'll just start deleting it, too.  In my limited testing it seems like it also might be related to my second problem where the cursor has a "life of its own" (good description).  I was thinking maybe it was just some browser incompatibility—wouldn't be the first time.

So now I wonder why that little square is there by default anyway. Ermm
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2023 at 19:07
I have problems when I have the WYSIWYG post editor enabled, so I disabled it in the Member Control Panel's Forum Preferences.

I does mean that I have to manually tag urls to make links and hyperlinks and tag videos to embed them, and sometimes I enable it when I want to paste something in while keeping the formatting and the existent code (like active hyperlinks).
 Post Reply Post Reply