Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I don't know why I'm posting this

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2023 at 17:24
Nice, Claudio has written to me as well, very impressed by his music. I like your re-arrangement as well.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2023 at 01:49
I figured, but if I want those sounds I think it's my responsibility to play them without the automatic stuff.
[/QUOTE]
Just a thing: MIDI and MIDI Sequencer are two different things. If I can emulate an instrument, or at least getting closer to its sound without buying an orchestra, I use MIDI. I still have to press white and black keys on a keyboard to get what I want.

Recording a sequence of notes to have them played continuously in a loop is what a sequencer does. It may use on not use MIDI sounds. Long time ago in the recording studios they were using tapes: cut, joined in a loop and played. 
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2023 at 01:52

About Cluadio Milano: one hour of Dante's Comedy

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2023 at 02:21
Tangerine Dream - Dante's Inferno

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2023 at 01:26

I'm a TD fan, even if I'm more in the Pink and Virgin periods. Claudio Milano is a totally different thing. He can do with his voice more than what Froese has done with his synths. Years ago, he introduced me to the music of some classical and conteporary composers. I'm grateful for his suggestions.

Try this:

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2023 at 01:39
And look at this...

nice, I've started this thread to share my rubbish, and I'm ending sharing incredible stuff

Edited by octopus-4 - October 18 2023 at 03:23
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2023 at 01:45
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

I'm a TD fan, even if I'm more in the Pink and Virgin periods. Claudio Milano is a totally different thing. He can do with his voice more than what Froese has done with his synths. Years ago, he introduced me to the music of some classical and conteporary composers. I'm grateful for his suggestions.

Tangerine Dream's Dante's Inferno trilogy isn't about the synths though. It's all about the voices, which is why they're amongst my favourite TD albums. Smile

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2023 at 15:16
If you like music based on Dante's comedy there's the Kalevala compilation. A total of 12 CDs, 4 for each part, each song played by a different prog band or artist. You can find details on the various artists page on PA.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2023 at 01:08
Hi, I should open a different thread, but I'm using this one for those who have the RSS feed enabled.

There's a new video from Claudio Milano and Nichelodeon that I'd like to share:

Jacob Schoolcraft View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2024 at 21:54

Well, I'm usually to shy to share the rubbish that I put on Bandcamp for my own fun (and as a form of backup).

Anyway, I have just published 10 tracks made with a classical guitar only and mixed (quite badly) with Mixcraft.
It's all recorded one-take, so it's full of errors, too.

So why am I posting?

I'd just like to know if anybody thinks that I should quit making stuff (I' continue doing it regardless) or if there's any suggestion or comment.

The second link that I'm posting is the previous release. There I wanted to sound like Klaus Schulze but I obviously failed.

Just in case any fool liked to download, please put a 0 in the price. I'm not Zappa, so I'm not there for money.

I strongly suggest to avoid the rest of my stuff. I wouldn't spend time on it if it wasn't my own.

I like your ideas. I've been listening to your music. I haven't completed both albums yet...but I will this week. The chord progressions written for guitar are unique. I enjoy the pieces you wrote.

The electronic music ...which you say is an attempt at sounding like Klaus Schulze sounds a bit more reminiscent of Pauline Anna Strom and Delia Derbyshire regarding the creepy vibe it creates.ive been enjoying your music. Music that I create and is creepy ...is influenced by a occultism environment that I was exposed to as a child. I can appreciate your ideas
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2024 at 04:16
^ Thanks. I'm nothing more than a hobbyist, I tried to be a singer-songwriter when I was very young, but once I've realized to be not talented enough, I've given up. Now I'm just having fun with a DAW.
Jacob Schoolcraft View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2024 at 13:36

^ Thanks. I'm nothing more than a hobbyist, I tried to be a singer-songwriter when I was very young, but once I've realized to be not talented enough, I've given up. Now I'm just having fun with a DAW.

I always dreamed of being a composer of soundtracks. Reading a script and practically hearing the music in my head for each different scene of the film. I believe I'm cut out for it..but getting involved on the right level is a whole different game. According to Vangelis it was a game which he had to play with the industry throughout his career. In some cases he was held back..(which I find difficult to believe) but he did state that overtime he was pressured by record companies to force music . In otherwords contrived. Forcing the music to be something that it probably wouldn't be if inspired naturally.

To demand an idea sometimes means making up music that's not in your head. In another sense...you may have practiced 10 hours a day in your youth so that you could grow up and become a person who wants to make up music that is not inspired. Does that even make any sense? 😃 This is why I dislike the business mainly. It's been going on for decades. It actually shouldn't have any association with music on any level. It's insignificant to music. It is not helpful..but damaging.

If you take the time to read reviews on Prog archives you begin to wonder if a 1 star rating is a result of a band's music being contrived....as opposed to it commonly being subjective to all and therefore a preference...a matter of taste. As a result..music that is forced and not inspired can be a turn off for critics. Billy Joel and Elton John wrote many commercial hit records that were inspired. However many people cannot tell the difference between what is inspired and contrived and that's why the industry gets away with it. Clearly it doesn't matter in the world because people like what they like regardless if somebody toys with the art for profit. Like being a film director who doesn't value art all that much and pressures a band like Goblin or an artist like Vangelis to be extra cheesy on this one. I certainly don't profess to be great. ..but I do believe that music inspires you and that should be valued more
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2024 at 00:09

Associating music to images and situations is what I usually do when I listen to instrumental music. Atom Heart Mother has been my starting point, but is mainly Vangelis what I have in mind when I mess up with my instruments at home. I also think that listening  to songs with lyrics compared to instrumentals is like the difference between a book and a movie. With a book you can build your mental images, with a movie that part of the "work" is already done. Of course both are enjoyable, it's just a different kind of enjoyment. 
I agree with you, but I think we can instinctively feel when a song is uninspired. Back to Vangelis, the fact that he used the images as source of inspiration means that almost the 100% of his work is inspired. Only when the story is rubbish the result is inspired but bad. I mean "Suffocation" from "See You Later". 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12