FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTSO - great show

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: TSO - great show
    Posted: December 22 2005 at 20:52
Saw them last Tuesday at the ACC in Toronto.  The first part of the show was primarily their Christmas stuff and after a short break mid-show introducing the band members (I thought that was the end of the show - whew!) they did some pretty cool instrumental medley stuff.  There was a broad range of music from heavy rock/metal to songs like Old City Bar which if you know their stuff is a slow song with one vocalist accompanied by a single acoustic guitarist.  There was a pretty good drum solo during the show too.  And for something different Tany Ling, the female Asian singer, did a great renditon of Queen of the Winter Night which off their Lost Christmas Eve CD and has operatic-like vocals.  A great show not only from a Christmas standpoint but also from a progressive rock standpoint - lots of variety.

A good light show, and different-coloured fire towards the end added nicely to the show.  Also, the Korean keyboard player Mee Eun Kim is a real hottie!!!  Had my little binoculars focused on her a lot...hope my girlfriend doesn't read this, she was right beside me...

The only thing I didn't like was that the crowd as a whole was pretty lame during the songs, especially during the harder rock/metalish songs/riffs.  Plenty of opportunities to do some headbanging but there were only a few of us getting into it.  People for the most part just sat there like bumps on a log.

Lasted 2.5 hours from start to finish, and well worth the $50 per ticket.  My girlfriend even enjoyed it, she's not into prog or anything and not into music that much.  I had been worried that she wouldn't enjoy it but was a nice surprise.
GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2005 at 08:36

I saw them not long ago in Pittsburgh, and it was also a great show.  not only Mee Eun Kim, but all the girls they had singing were hot as well, which was just a bonus added to an amazing instrumental show. 

The highlight of the show for me was when they revealed a new track from their next album which is a metal cover of Orff's Carmina Burana.

http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
White Queen View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2005 at 10:47
I also saw them in Pittsburgh and they were incredible.  They played their Christmas music first, but there second half was filled with hard rock/metal versions of great classical songs like Flight of the Bumblebee (on the guitar) with lasers flashing everywhere to Beethoven's Fifth with multicolored flames shooting up from behind stage, and Mozart's Requiem.  Between the incredible musical performance as well as the impressing visuals TSO was the best I've ever seen.

I have to admit that the crowd was pretty lame, though, ranging from ten year olds a couple rows in front of me playing games on their cell phones to seventy year old ladies a couple rows back. And he said we were one of the top 3 they'd ever played for. Poor guys.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2005 at 10:55
Originally posted by GoldenSpiral GoldenSpiral wrote:

I saw them not long ago in Pittsburgh, and it was also a great show.  not only Mee Eun Kim, but all the girls they had singing were hot as well, which was just a bonus added to an amazing instrumental show. 

The highlight of the show for me was when they revealed a new track from their next album which is a metal cover of Orff's Carmina Burana.

Wow, that would be a daunting task ... it will either suck tremendously or rule majestically.

soultemptress View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2006 at 22:46
I just saw them on 11/05/06 here in Jacksonville, FL.  It was the West edition of TSO.  We had Anna the Stringmaster from England; Al Petrucci and his wife on Piano. It was a wonderful show.  It was their first time here in Jacksonville, I hope they come back next year! It was my first time seeing them live and will not be my last.

I have all of their CD's and their DVD.  I read a recent interview with Paul O'Neill that Night Castle will hopefully be out in 2007 and he has 7 more albums planned, 2 broadway shows and a world tour of Beethoven's Last Night!

Their life show is one of the best I have ever seen! The lights, music it is such a perfect production. Worth the ticket price and then some.  I cried when I saw Old City Bar performed, as he started to sing it was something I did not expect the tears started flowing, I looked over at my 19 year old son and he had tears too.  It was the words and watching him dressed as a homeless person singing so beautifully, even now I get shivers and have a few tears when that song plays.

I recommend this stage production to all prog lovers to start their Holiday season!

Merry Christmas.
cosmopack View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2006 at 09:15
Saw TSO in Raleigh, NC last night for the third year in a row. This show has become a holiday "must". The power of the metal with the traditional Christmas music taps into my rock and roll soul! Their show is like two concerts in one. The 2nd show is a lot of fun to see and hear. We'll be on tap for next year back in Raleigh.
ViolinCyndee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2006 at 02:09
I have seen TSO before--they ARE amazing!!  I also really like Mark Wood's other project:  Van Helsing's Curse. 
http://cdbaby.com/cd/cyndeeleerule
www.cyndeeleerule.com
Prog.Sylvie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2007 at 22:35
TSO invited Greg Lake, as a surprise guest, for two shows in december. Greg sang "Karn Evil   9" with the full orchestra. He was overwhelmed by the great sound behind him while he was singing this classic from ELP.  The lights effects were amazing too.  

It seems that the audience enjoyed Mr. Lake performance.

C'est la vie
Progger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2007 at 12:05
Originally posted by Prog.Sylvie Prog.Sylvie wrote:

TSO invited Greg Lake, as a surprise guest, for two shows in december. Greg sang "Karn Evil   9" with the full orchestra. He was overwhelmed by the great sound behind him while he was singing this classic from ELP.  The lights effects were amazing too.  

It seems that the audience enjoyed Mr. Lake performance.

I hope some of these shows get a DVD releaseClap
Prog.Sylvie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2007 at 13:40
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-AG1UtrqB8

Enjoy this video in the meantime. 
C'est la vie
 Post Reply Post Reply