Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedwishbone ash..

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: wishbone ash..
    Posted: March 03 2006 at 10:44
wishbone ash on tour new cd  ""clan destiny"" out soon   I dont know how to take this band any comments
daz2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 12:36
fantastic band love them 2 bits!! I am going to see them again in 3 weeks! looking forward to new album! must admit i do prefer the early stuff Pilgrimage,Argus,4 etc. if you look on polls i did a "what's your fave album?"
In the constellation of cygnus,There lurks a mysterious force...The black hole
Possessed View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 13:33

The early albums are the best:

Wishbone Ash

Pilgrimmage

Argus

These mid-period albums I also like:

There's The Rub

New England

Edited by Possessed
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 14:12
I like "New England" a lot. Also their live album "Live Dates".

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 14:19
I grew up with the 2-LP Live Dates in the early Seventies, a friend of mine owned it and played it very often. I love the dual guitar work and pleasant vocals, very warm music. Argus is my favorite studio album. Later their music turned into a bit more harder-edged and less subtle (in my opinion) but they are still worth listening and watching, perhaps I will attend their forthcoming concert in De Boerderij near The Hague, Holland. They are very popular in my country.
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 15:19

'Argus' is their definitive album amongst fans I believe, and I'd definitely agree with that. However, all of their first 3 studio albums are top notch and the classic 'Live Dates'. The albums I've heard after that are very patchy though imo.

However, their last CD 'Bona Fide' was actually a 'bona fide' return to form, building on the better songs from their '97 album 'Illuminations'. Two songs from 'Bona Fide' were as good as anythin on 'Argus' for me- 'Ancient Remedy' and 'Come Rain, Come Shine'. I'm optimistic about this new album- it may even be better than that superb last album.

Fragile View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 15:25

Their first 3 albums were all prog with Argus one of the best rock albums ever made.They were the first band to use twin lead guitars I think.They are touring and I will see them next Thursday at the Renfrew Ferry Glasgow.Shrinkking Violet is going and we are on their guest list.They are a fantastic live band.

salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 15:35
Originally posted by Fragile Fragile wrote:

Their first 3 albums were all prog with Argus one of the best rock albums ever made.They were the first band to use twin lead guitars I think.They are touring and I will see them next Thursday at the Renfrew Ferry Glasgow.Shrinkking Violet is going and we are on their guest list.They are a fantastic live band.

I agree on the prog angle, but I think there were many bands to use twin guitars prior to Wishbone Ash- The Allman Brothers, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Jefferson Airplane, Man and The Grateful Dead come to mind. But yeah, Wishbone Ash had a definite unique style to the way they employed the twin guitar and it would prove very influential to heavy metal bands- just check out Judas Priest and Iron Maiden to name but two!

Fragile View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 17:11

Cheers Salmacis, I did say I think they were first, not heard too much of of the bands you have mentioned apart from Jefferson Airplane.Maiden have their moments

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2006 at 03:18
I saw them last year ,very enjoyable gig ,so I'll be back for more this month! (this time I won't clap in the middle of Phoenix  )
daz2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2006 at 07:26
I'll be at Cox's Yard,Stratford Upon Avon 21st March
In the constellation of cygnus,There lurks a mysterious force...The black hole
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2006 at 08:05
Originally posted by salmacis salmacis wrote:

Originally posted by Fragile Fragile wrote:

I agree on the prog angle, but I think there were many bands to use twin guitars prior to Wishbone Ash- The Allman Brothers, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Jefferson Airplane, Man and The Grateful Dead come to mind. But yeah, Wishbone Ash had a definite unique style to the way they employed the twin guitar and it would prove very influential to heavy metal bands- just check out Judas Priest and Iron Maiden to name but two!

Probably the first band that used doublelead guitar were the Yardbirds. 3 very important rock guitarists played in the Yardbirds: Eric Clapton (think of him what you will, but he was important in rock), Jimmi Page and Jeff Beck.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
 Post Reply Post Reply