Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedQuestions on Ozric Tentacles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Questions on Ozric Tentacles
    Posted: June 12 2006 at 10:36

I have some questions for those who have a good knowledge of Ozric Tentacles' prolific output. I would appreciate any helpful advice. 

Question 1: I understand that the Swirly Terminations album was originally shelved by the group. When it was finally released, it was done so without the band's approval. I have heard a track from the album and it sounds better than some of their sanctiioned material. Does anyone know what the whole, or majority, of the album is like?

Question 2: The early albums by the group were initially released on cassette tape, but a number of these were later compiled as a CD box-set. Are these early 'cassette' albums as good as the later albums released directly on CD.

Question 3: I am aware that Steve Hillage played guitar on some tracks on a live Ozric Tentacles album. It seems a promising combination, but does the final product live up to expectations? 

Question 4: What is the best Ozric Tentacles album?

Thanks in advance.     

Empathy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 10:44
Originally posted by Big Ears Big Ears wrote:

I have some questions for those who have a good knowledge of Ozric Tentacles' prolific output. I would appreciate any helpful advice. 

Question 1: I understand that the Swirly Terminations album was originally shelved by the group. When it was finally released, it was done so without the band's approval. I have heard a track from the album and it sounds better than some of their sanctiioned material. Does anyone know what the whole, or majority, of the album is like?

I haven't heard Swirly Termination, but I believe the issue was that their prior label, Snapper, released the album after they had dropped Ozric.

Question 2: The early albums by the group were initially released on cassette tape, but a number of these were later compiled as a CD box-set. Are these early 'cassette' albums as good as the later albums released directly on CD.

There's some great material on those early releases, but IMO, they're for hardcore fans only, as there was only so much "cleaning" that could be done to those cassette masters; therefore sound quality remains an issue. Also, the band revisited many of those early tracks and themes on later albums anyway.

Question 3: I am aware that Steve Hillage played guitar on some tracks on a live Ozric Tentacles album. It seems a promising combination, but does the final product live up to expectations?

I have yet to hear an Ozric album that's disappointed me... then again, maybe that qualifies me as a "fanboy". Wink

Totally subjective. What have you heard thus far, and of that, what have you enjoyed the most?

Thanks in advance.     

Pure Brilliance:
Big Ears View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 10:47
Thanks for the information, it is very helpful. I will get back to you on the exact tracks I've heard, but will accept the subjectivity. 
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 10:48

"Swirly Temination" is a good album; I have no idea why the band wanted to stop it.

Yes, definitely.

No idea where you heard that; we have all Ozric albums, and no Hillage on them. It is true though that Ed Wynne, the guitar player of the Ozrics, sounds a lot like him (as do Christian Boulé of Clearlight and Steffie Sharpstring of Gong).

I like the first two best, because there are a lot of oriental influences on it. "Jurassic Shift" is also good. "Arborescence" is their weakest.

Thanks in advance.     

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 12:00
I don't actually own any of their albums that were originally released on CD, but the reissues of the tapes are indeed great. From what I gather, they're a bit more laid back then the CDs but I couldn't say for sure.
The Wizard View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 12:55
IMO, Jurrasic Shift is the best.
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 13:08

To cut a long story short, Ozrics wanted to leave Snapper (their label at the time) and set up their own label again. They still owed one studio album, so they delivered a set of demos and out takes that were released as Swirly Termination - it sounds surprisingly coherent, given that one of the tracks (Steep) goes back to 1992 and was recorded solo by Ed Wynne, and several different line ups can be heard on the different tracks.

The cassette only releases have been issued as double sets in the UK by Recall. The early stuff was pretty good, but all of it pre dates flautist/front man John Egan joining the band which means that there's an element of their later sound missing. Unless you're a completist, the compilation Afterswish collects the best of the 6 early releases and tells you all you need to know about this early phase of the band. The biggest difference is that there's less of a world music influence on the early tapes, although the dub reggae workouts are present and correct.

'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 13:08
What can I expect from their live show?
http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
Rust View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 13:10

Erpland might be my favorite. Debut is very good too, lots of ideas in that one. I am curious as to why Strangeitude doesn't get more attention, it is not that different from the others, it is the newest one to "click" for me.

Ying Yang
We got to pump the stuff to make us tough
from the heart
Its astart
What we need is awareness we cant get careless
Mental self defensive fitness
Make everybody see in order to fight the powers that be
Empathy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 13:23
Originally posted by GoldenSpiral GoldenSpiral wrote:

Wear diapers. LOL

Seriously, though... hopefully, they're taking the full visual assault on tour with them - the projections and lights definitely add an impotant element to the show, IMO. One thing that always surprises me is how well Ozric manages to pull off the dense arrangements live just as flawlessly... but I think that's largely due to their use of sequencing.

I haven't heard the new album yet, but I have high hopes!

Pure Brilliance:
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 13:39
Originally posted by Empathy Empathy wrote:

Originally posted by GoldenSpiral GoldenSpiral wrote:

Wear diapers. LOL

Seriously, though... hopefully, they're taking the full visual assault on tour with them - the projections and lights definitely add an impotant element to the show, IMO. One thing that always surprises me is how well Ozric manages to pull off the dense arrangements live just as flawlessly... but I think that's largely due to their use of sequencing.

I haven't heard the new album yet, but I have high hopes!

Now I'm really excited... seeing them wednesday!Big smile
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
Empathy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 13:55
I hope it lives up to the hype I'm giving it! Smile

Where are they playing? Blacksburg? Or will you have to head north or south?

Any idea who's opening?
Pure Brilliance:
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 14:14
Originally posted by Empathy Empathy wrote:

I hope it lives up to the hype I'm giving it! Smile

Where are they playing? Blacksburg? Or will you have to head north or south?

Any idea who's opening?

no, I'm back home in pittsburgh for the summer.  They're playing at the Rex Theatre on the south side.

as far as i can tell, there is no opening band listed. 

it also turns out i was confused by the date and the concert is actually friday, not wednesdayEmbarrassed
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
Big Ears View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2006 at 05:00
Thank you for the advice on albums. I had previously heard Steep from the album Swirly Terminations (the album not endorsed by the group) and The Hidden Step album. I understand both albums were released at around the same time.

I learned about the Steve Hillage collaboration on www.planetgong.co.uk, where they say he plays guitar and synthesisers on the Akaska (Ed Wynne) track on the Spirals in Hyperspace CD.      

Edited by Big Ears - June 24 2006 at 05:05
 Post Reply Post Reply