FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg rock & Prog Metal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog rock & Prog Metal
    Posted: December 25 2004 at 08:51

According to Progarchives.com , Prog metal is sub genre of Prog rock ... but a lot of my friends think that there are a lot differences between them and have to divide into 2 different category . I agree with Progarchives and think that compare Prog rock and Prog metal is not relevant ... So ,what is your own opinion ??

Eddy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2004 at 13:31
of prog rock and metel?. thats easy, prog metel is just a heaver form of prog. just like metel is a heaveir form of rock.
Radiolaria View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2004 at 14:08
Originally posted by Eddy Eddy wrote:

of prog rock and metel?. thats easy, prog metel is just a
heaver form of prog. just like metel is a heaveir form of rock.

It's a bit more than that, but yeah.

However, we must note that Metal has branched off from it's roots as of
late. After Sabbath and similar, some bands didn't exactly stick to bluesy
roots.
When 900 years you reach, look as good, you will not.
plodder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2004 at 14:37
What is it with all these subdivisions? (no pun intended)

I've never heard of half of them. If it moves you, it moves you.
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2004 at 17:08
Early prog metal is nothing to do with prog rock at all; to me it sounds liked it was tagged "progressive" a few years later because of its forward thinking and a few things in common. If you listen to say Watchtower, Psychotic Waltz, Fates Warning, there is no progressive rock at all (maybe some of the 90s FW stuff was), likewise all the symphonic metal bands are nothing like symphonic rock. The first band I can think of that mixed progressive rock and progressive metal are Dream Theater, but since then I hear a lot more blurring of the lines.
maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2004 at 19:11

All:

This subject has arisen before, and I, personally, have struggled with it for quite some time.

I think what has happened over time is that people began to equate almost anything that is not "verse-chorus-verse-chorus" with "prog."  Okay, maybe I'm overstating it - but probably not by much.

Other elements that people are (usually incorrectly) equating with "prog" are:

-Use of "non-standard" instruments - anything other than guitar, bass, drums and basic keyboards - whether or not the intent of the artist was "progressive."  In my opinion, the simple inclusion of a Mellotron, violin, non-standard percussion, etc. does not make something "prog."

-Use of any time signature other than 3/4 or 4/4, and especially "complicated" signatures like 7/4, 7/8 and 9/8 - and especially when there are abrupt changes in time signatures during a composition.  Again, in my opinion, the simple use of non-standard time signatures does not necessarily make something "prog."

-Increased length of compositions, especially past 6 minutes.  And again, this does not necessarily make something "prog."

-Use of "studio tricks" and recording techniques to "up-tech" the music.  Yet again, the use of such tricks and up-teching does not necessarily make something "prog."

Ultimately, even if a composition uses all of the above - non-standard instruments (particularly keyboards and percussion), non-standard time signatures and signatures changes, lengthy compositions, studio tricks and up-teching - it would not automatically be "prog."

As I have suggested in other threads, I believe there is a difference between "happening upon" prog and having a conscious, deliberate prog "approach."  The Beatles are not prog simply because they used "proto-prog" elements in songs like Strawberry Fields, I Am the Walrus, etc.  Led Zeppelin is not prog simply because they used "proto-prog" elements in songs like Kashmir, Achilles Last Stand, etc.  Queen is not prog simply because they used "proto-prog" elements in songs like Bohemian Rhapsody, Prophet's Song, etc.  And so on.

In my opinion, an artist can only truly be labelled "prog" if they are using "prog sensibilities" (the elements listed above, plus others) in a deliberate way - as a conscious approach - in an ongoing fashion.  I would add that, in order to truly be considered a "prog" band - one worthy of a place on this site - the overwhelming majority of a band's ouevre has to be composed, executed and recorded using "prog sensibilities" in a deliberate, conscious manner.

In this regard, and as much as I love them, I personally reject a band like Supertramp as prog, and would not have included them on the site.  True, most of "Crime of the Century" comes darn close, as do parts of "Even in the Quietest Moments," "Breakfast in America" and "Brother Where You Bound."  But this does not represent even most of their work, much less the "overwhelming majority" of it.

On the other hand, I believe a band can, for the most part, use a "verse-chorus-verse-chorus" pattern - and even stay primarily in 3/4 and 4/4 - and still be "prog," based on their approach to songwriting, execution and recording.  I would put XTC in this category.  Indeed, The Church fits largely into this category, yet is undeniably a "prog band," since the vast majority of their work uses "prog sensibilities" in a very conscious, deliberate manner.

As for "prog metal," I believe there is such a thing - and that it is indeed a "sub-category" of prog - but that it is not nearly as "broad" as many members believe.  I would almost classify Dream Theater as prog metal, though they don't "stay" there all the time.  Ark would be a good example of true prog metal; I highly recommend "Burn the Sun" to anyone who has not heard it.  It is "simpler" than a band like Dream Theater, but it is more "essentially" prog metal.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.

Peace.

Edited by maani
diddy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2004 at 19:37
Originally posted by maani maani wrote:

All:

This subject has arisen before, and I, personally, have struggled with it for quite some time.

I think what has happened over time is that people began to equate almost anything that is not "verse-chorus-verse-chorus" with "prog."  Okay, maybe I'm overstating it - but probably not by much.

Other elements that people are (usually incorrectly) equating with "prog" are:

-Use of "non-standard" instruments - anything other than guitar, bass, drums and basic keyboards - whether or not the intent of the artist was "progressive."  In my opinion, the simple inclusion of a Mellotron, violin, non-standard percussion, etc. does not make something "prog."

-Use of any time signature other than 3/4 or 4/4, and especially "complicated" signatures like 7/4, 7/8 and 9/8 - and especially when there are abrupt changes in time signatures during a composition.  Again, in my opinion, the simple use of non-standard time signatures does not necessarily make something "prog."

-Increased length of compositions, especially past 6 minutes.  And again, this does not necessarily make something "prog."

-Use of "studio tricks" and recording techniques to "up-tech" the music.  Yet again, the use of such tricks and up-teching does not necessarily make something "prog."

Ultimately, even if a composition uses all of the above - non-standard instruments (particularly keyboards and percussion), non-standard time signatures and signatures changes, lengthy compositions, studio tricks and up-teching - it would not automatically be "prog."

As I have suggested in other threads, I believe there is a difference between "happening upon" prog and having a conscious, deliberate prog "approach."  The Beatles are not prog simply because they used "proto-prog" elements in songs like Strawberry Fields, I Am the Walrus, etc.  Led Zeppelin is not prog simply because they used "proto-prog" elements in songs like Kashmir, Achilles Last Stand, etc.  Queen is not prog simply because they used "proto-prog" elements in songs like Bohemian Rhapsody, Prophet's Song, etc.  And so on.

In my opinion, an artist can only truly be labelled "prog" if they are using "prog sensibilities" (the elements listed above, plus others) in a deliberate way - as a conscious approach - in an ongoing fashion.  I would add that, in order to truly be considered a "prog" band - one worthy of a place on this site - the overwhelming majority of a band's ouevre has to be composed, executed and recorded using "prog sensibilities" in a deliberate, conscious manner.

In this regard, and as much as I love them, I personally reject a band like Supertramp as prog, and would not have included them on the site.  True, most of "Crime of the Century" comes darn close, as do parts of "Even in the Quietest Moments," "Breakfast in America" and "Brother Where You Bound."  But this does not represent even most of their work, much less the "overwhelming majority" of it.

On the other hand, I believe a band can, for the most part, use a "verse-chorus-verse-chorus" pattern - and even stay primarily in 3/4 and 4/4 - and still be "prog," based on their approach to songwriting, execution and recording.  I would put XTC in this category.  Indeed, The Church fits largely into this category, yet is undeniably a "prog band," since the vast majority of their work uses "prog sensibilities" in a very conscious, deliberate manner.

As for "prog metal," I believe there is such a thing - and that it is indeed a "sub-category" of prog - but that it is not nearly as "broad" as many members believe.  I would almost classify Dream Theater as prog metal, though they don't "stay" there all the time.  Ark would be a good example of true prog metal; I highly recommend "Burn the Sun" to anyone who has not heard it.  It is "simpler" than a band like Dream Theater, but it is more "essentially" prog metal.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.

Peace.

I agree,
I also think that people are very fast in stating a band as prog...But I also have to say that it is not always easy according to the blurred lines of prog and not prog...
And is there something like wrong or right concerning music? I don't know...who can say EXACTLY what prog is, is there an ultimate definition?

So I think that everybody has to decide for oneself if he considers prog metal to be a sub genre of prog.

I for one have nearly the same opinion as maani, there are bands which definitely can be considered to play something we call prog metal, but others seem to play normal metal, maybe progressive metal just concerning the term "progressive", not the genre (I'd like to differ between "progressive" and "prog"...because even prog is not necessarily progressive any more. Breaking conventions and creating revolutionary music in the begininng created it's own conventions over the years) 

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear...
George Orwell
BebieM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2004 at 02:10

Originally posted by Eddy Eddy wrote:

of prog rock and metel?. thats easy, prog metel is just a heaver form of prog. just like metel is a heaveir form of rock.

that's basically true imo....

but @eddy: please write "metal", 3 times can't be a typo, haha

Kashmir View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2004 at 03:30

I think maani's opinion is useful for everyone . Maani's thoughts solve some questions that i wonder .

But still , i have another question . Obviously ,i consider Dream Theater as prog metal . And as maani said :As for "prog metal," I believe there is such a thing - and that it is indeed a "sub-category" of prog  .  So If i say Dream Theater is prog rock ,is it ok ?? because prog metal is sub-category of prog rock .

My friends that i mentioned before have opposite opinion and told that "Cannot say Dream Theater is prog rock , they're prog metal ,and prog rock and prog metal are different" ...So what's right opinion ??

goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2004 at 06:21
There are plenty of DT songs that have no metal in them at all, and also some with no rock in them at all. In that sense they could be described as either.
Reed Lover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2004 at 07:55

Originally posted by goose goose wrote:

There are plenty of DT songs that have no metal in them at all, and also some with no rock in them at all. In that sense they could be described as either.

There are also plenty of DT tracks that have no music in them at all!Wink

Pixel Pirate View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2004 at 09:43
I agree,Reed but I hope you realise that you are now bringing down the wrath of the Evil Jester...
Odi profanum vulgus et arceo.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2004 at 14:15

The clue is in the word "metal", IMO.

The yardstick I've used for quite a while now is; Can you tell from the first few minutes roughly what the rest of the album is going to sound like?

If yes, then it's not prog.

There are other measures, but this one seems to work quite frequently. Like Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple with the rock sound, all the Dream Theater and other "prog metal" bands I have heard tend to keep a metal sound even when they briefly stray into other stylistic areas.

A true prog band will typically veer off at tangents into completely different styles, and the overall sound of the music on a given album does not fit comfortably into a particular rock category.

Most importantly, a true prog band will sound, in the main, unlike anything that has gone before it.

I'll probably get myself in trouble here, but much "prog metal" seems to hearken back to Master of Puppets or ...And Justice for All by Metallica - or other speed/thrash/callthemwhatyouwill bands of the late 1980s - so I find it hard to think of them as progressive at all.

Bands with strong identities in the 21st century seem few and far between - but they're out there; System of a Down produced an amazingly original debut album in Toxicity, and Cradle of Filth have put out stuff that sounds very original - even if the roots can be traced relatively easily in other metal bands.

This isn't about taste, it's about bands sounding peculiarly original. The best example I can think of in metal is Celtic Frost, although VoiVod are quite unique too. Dream Theater are extremely good at what they do - but it all sounds like a polished version of stuff that other people have done. The fact that they cover a lot of other band's outputs speaks volumes to me.

Edited by Certif1ed
Eemu Ranta View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2004 at 16:45
I sense a special kind of sophistication behind prog rock and its metal
daughter. It's perfectionism, not compromising from artistic views
because of prevailing public opinions/standards, and that something
special I can't put into words. Among "prog metal" it's especially present
in Opeth's music, even during their heavier parts it is so apparent that the
heaviness shouldn't be an obstacle for any true prog lover.

My first post here, have been reading for some time now though, hope to
stay.
Prog_Bassist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2004 at 16:47
I consider it mostly ALL prog ROCK.

I dont care if it's heavier or not, Metal is still rock, except on steroids.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2004 at 16:57

Originally posted by Eemu Ranta Eemu Ranta wrote:

I sense a special kind of sophistication behind prog rock and its metal
daughter. It's perfectionism, not compromising from artistic views
because of prevailing public opinions/standards, and that something
special I can't put into words. Among "prog metal" it's especially present
in Opeth's music, even during their heavier parts it is so apparent that the
heaviness shouldn't be an obstacle for any true prog lover.

My first post here, have been reading for some time now though, hope to
stay.

Would you agree that the "perfectionism" might come from sophisticated means of digitally producing the music, so that the performances are always squeaky clean - or are you saying that there is perfectionism in another area?

The execution of the material, e.g. in precision of note-playing such that "bluff" is pretty much a thing of the past?

The structuring of the forms - if so, how are the forms in prog metal inherently progressive?

Or the music itself? Melody, harmony, rhythm, timbre?

As far as "not compromising from artistic views because of prevailing public opinions/standards" is concerned, wouldn't you agree that is what all prog is about?

"that something special I can't put into words."

This is always the fun bit, IMO  Trying to state the unstatable. Of course, you can't, and people often think you're geeky for trying, but to me it's like mandelbrot fractals - the more you look, the more you see.

What would you rather see? A nice forest, or a nice forest with some very interesting trees and even more interesting species of flora and fauna within? You can identify the flora and fauna without disturbing the beauty of the forest.

Time for another drink, methinks...

Welcome to ProgArchives - as you can tell, we think a bit differently around here... Out of the box, you might say

Edited by Certif1ed
maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2004 at 17:00

Kashmir et al:

I probably should have been clearer.  I have no problem wwhatsoever with Dream Theater being classified as "prog rock" for purposes of including them on the site.  Although I have only heard one album straight through (and parts of two others), unless I accidentally hit upon the only things that were "prog," there seems no question that, whatever sub-category they belong in, they are in fact prog.  Again, it is in the approach: one need listen to only the first ten minutes of "Metropolis" to know that they consciously and deliberately approach their writing, execution and recording from the standpoint of "prog sensibilities" (as I have defined them loosely above).

That they seem to rely heavily on a "speed metal" sound much (or at least some) of the time within what they do does tend to make me sub-classify them as "prog metal."  Note that this is in no way a denigration of what they do.

Diddy is correct, of course, that a "standard" definition of prog is probably not attainable; that we need to determine what elements "overlap" in our individual definitions, and use them as the "yardstick," allowing for the fact that each of us will have a few "specifics" that will differ.  That is simply "the nature of the beast."

Peace.

Eemu Ranta View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2004 at 17:33

My "perfectionism" is highly bound to the "artistic views", which might
be to NOT have that crystal clean digital sound, because there is a much
older sophistication in analog recording styles (and then the recording
part is a whole different sophistication than the composing) . Neither can
it be limited to execution of the material, structure or complicated parts/
technical playing of any kind, since perfectionism might aswell be a
decision to do it the other way instead of this one. Therefore even
improvisation is often one kind of perfectionism.

I concur that the search for lacking answers is among the more
amusing parts of life, especially when there's intelligent people with
differing opinions

Emperor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2004 at 05:33

Originally posted by goose goose wrote:

Early prog metal is nothing to do with prog rock at all; to me it sounds liked it was tagged "progressive" a few years later because of its forward thinking and a few things in common. If you listen to say Watchtower, Psychotic Waltz, Fates Warning, there is no progressive rock at all (maybe some of the 90s FW stuff was), likewise all the symphonic metal bands are nothing like symphonic rock. The first band I can think of that mixed progressive rock and progressive metal are Dream Theater, but since then I hear a lot more blurring of the lines.

I agree with Goose.

Well, Prog-metal (especially early one - Fates Warning, Queensryche, King Diamond, etc...) is close to Progressive structurally, but it's absolutely different estetically - and this is the main cause for me. Maybe only DT's SCENES FROM A MEMORY and Savatage's 90s albums are the real examples of heavier kind of Progressive (the same thing with hard'n'art albums by hard-rockers of 70s - Uriah Heep, Queen, Black Sabbath...).

I Prophesy Disaster...
 Post Reply Post Reply