Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2005 at 10:14
Originally posted by Gaston Gaston wrote:

Actual worst prog (styx isn't prog so they can't be listed):

5. Pain of Salvation - gives me the creeps

Out of curiosity, what is it you don't like about them? I haven't tried their music yet, so I'm interested in different viewpoints.

2. Roger Waters - destroyed Pink Floyd from the inside and made horrible albums he would've made them make (thankfully that's why he's #2 and not #1) because

While I couldn't bring myself to put him on this list because he did have a real lyrical talent, I agree, he caused FAR more trouble than he was worth.
greenback View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2005 at 10:18
Originally posted by FloydWright FloydWright wrote:

Out of curiosity, what is it you don't like about them? I haven't tried their music yet, so I'm interested in different viewpoints.

2. Roger Waters - destroyed Pink Floyd from the inside and made horrible albums he would've made them make (thankfully that's why he's #2 and not #1) because

While I couldn't bring myself to put him on this list because he did have a real lyrical talent, I agree, he caused FAR more trouble than he was worth.

he probably dislikes the rhythmic grungy guitar!

[HEADPINS - LINE OF FIRE: THE RECORD HAVING THE MOST POWERFUL GUITAR SOUND IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF MUSIC!>
Radioactive Toy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2005 at 10:23
Originally posted by hightea hightea wrote:

For the haters of Zappa and Tangerine Dream you actually hate them so much that you sat down and listened to all their albums to make sure you didn't miss one?

I can understand the young pup who doesn't like Genesis. If my first taste of Genesis was 1980's or Phil solo it could leave a bad enough taste in my ears to never be able to get over it.

Not sure I could answer this thread fairly because I would only list a band thats had at least four or five albums and with all the music I like I don't have the patience to sit thru 5 bad albums I just move on. I'm sure I'm missing some great albums because of it put that's life. Damn I listen to way many different types of music to dwell on sh*t from one gene like prog. If I was to guess what would be my least favorite it would be prog metal only because what I've heard I like very little.

http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_BAN D.asp?band_id=1023

83!!!!! albums.. you'd be an complete idiot if you've listened them all!!!  

Reed's failed joke counter:
|||||
R.I.P. You could have reached infinity....
greenback View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2005 at 11:03
Originally posted by Radioactive Toy Radioactive Toy wrote:

Originally posted by hightea hightea wrote:

For the haters of Zappa and Tangerine Dream you actually hate them so much that you sat down and listened to all their albums to make sure you didn't miss one?

I can understand the young pup who doesn't like Genesis. If my first taste of Genesis was 1980's or Phil solo it could leave a bad enough taste in my ears to never be able to get over it.

Not sure I could answer this thread fairly because I would only list a band thats had at least four or five albums and with all the music I like I don't have the patience to sit thru 5 bad albums I just move on. I'm sure I'm missing some great albums because of it put that's life. Damn I listen to way many different types of music to dwell on sh*t from one gene like prog. If I was to guess what would be my least favorite it would be prog metal only because what I've heard I like very little.

http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_BAN D.asp?band_id=1023

83!!!!! albums.. you'd be an complete idiot if you've listened them all!!!  

not that much: there are TONS of compilations, especially after his death in 1994: the complete discography should contain about 50 something albums! Many bands have their collection falsely inflated because of those compilations; they are interesting when the sound is remastered...

Edited by greenback
[HEADPINS - LINE OF FIRE: THE RECORD HAVING THE MOST POWERFUL GUITAR SOUND IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF MUSIC!>
Gaston View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2005 at 18:49
Originally posted by FloydWright FloydWright wrote:

Floyd,

Thanks for the reply. Pain of Salvation is simply too heavy for me. If you're into bands like Dream Theater and especially Anathema you'd probably like them. There's too much distortion and I don't like it. I like Dream Theater and even Threshold, Savatage or Fates Warning have their moments (from what I've heard from this progarchives downloads) but the majority of their stuff is distorted and sounds depressing (especially Pain of Salvation)

Now there's another reason why they give me the creeps. They're supposed to be a sort of Christian band and I don't think their music is compatible with what is pleasing to a Christians ear unless that Christian has issues. I'll take the sweet, glorius and overall rejoiceful symphonic music of Yes any day over their negativity. Even King Crimson is better.

As for Roger, he's just an arse. It has nothing really to do with his career with the Floyd. THAT was good and genius but he ultimately went too far and he actually completed full circle the entire thematic concept of madness that Pink Floyd was all about concering Syd. The Wall sums this up quite nicely and should've been the last album (however DB and AMLOR would've suffered greatly if Rog was still in)

Instead of listening to WYWH and understanding that it was talking about Syd, I NOW listen to that album in light of what happened to the Floyd and deem it prophetic foreshadowing of how Dave, Nick and Rick think of both Syd AND Rog. It's just too bad, that's all.

Gaston 

It's the same guy. Great minds think alike.
greenback View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2005 at 19:20

i generously mention in my review of pain of salvation - perfect element 1 the problem with the rhythmic guitar. nevertheless i gave it 4 stars, because the rest is absolutely perfect.

FloydWright View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2005 at 23:42

Now there's another reason why they give me the creeps. They're supposed to be a sort of Christian band and I don't think their music is compatible with what is pleasing to a Christians ear unless that Christian has issues. I'll take the sweet, glorius and overall rejoiceful symphonic music of Yes any day over their negativity. Even King Crimson is better.

Musically I imagine I'd like Pain of Salvation.

But I do kinda get a little touchy around religious lyrics. I'd rather have either the subtle kind like Opeth's Still Life (anti-warped religion, pro-honest faith, if you look at it), or a good, positive kind. I even listen to Killswitch Engage because it's more positive. No, they are not as talented as prog artists would be. But still, it's kind of a feelgood thing (yeah, and this is metal I'm talking about!).
chorus of one View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2005 at 02:31
Pain Of Salvation is NOT a Christian band at all...where'd you get that idea?
video vertigo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2005 at 03:11
wow reading these I feel very out of place my favorites were mentioned many times (Rush, Dream theater) Even Marillion??? Tell me your joking. Okay I can see why some people wouldn't like Styx but wow. Prog archives the anti-good prog prog site ?
"The rock and roll business is pretty absurd, but the world of serious music is much worse." - Zappa
FloydWright View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2005 at 11:16
Originally posted by chorus of one chorus of one wrote:

Pain Of Salvation is NOT a Christian band at all...where'd you get that idea?

My personal guess--some people assume that because God and related concepts are mentioned. Having not heard their music, that's really the best theory I can come up with.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456