Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedInspired "THE FINAL CUT" topic...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inspired "THE FINAL CUT" topic...
    Posted: March 03 2005 at 02:08

Well, since 1983-1984 many fans talk about the leadership of Waters in Pink Floyd and about his sudden quit off the band...

So I'd like to ask some questions to Prog-Colleagues:

1) Do you like the latest Waters-Era PF's albums (The Wall + The Final Cut) or not? Why?

2) Do you like the solo-albums by Waters or not? Which of those albums do you prefer? Why?

3) How are you about post-Waters albums by Pink Floyd?

4) Was the Waters's quit in 1983 positive or negative accident in musical/creative sense?

Thank you

I Prophesy Disaster...
Emperor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2005 at 02:28

For myself Waters was always "the central cell" of Pink Floyd, "the band's stock and brains". We know that he has wrote the major part of the band's stuff, he always decided what conception they'd choose for the albums. Somebody says that e's rather weak as the bassist, but I won't agree. At least Roger Waters owns his recognizable and self-unique "pulsing" style of bass-guitar playing (the bightest examples are One Of These Days, Carefull With This Axe Eugene, Goodbye Cruel World) - you can hear its influences at Alan Parsons', Pendragon's, Eloy's and etc's albums...

The Wall is my personal album No1 by Pink Floyd, it's even at my Top 3 favorite albums of all the time! Maybe the cause is personal, because this album (and the movie) is almost about myself, my life, my nature maybe... And I also like The Final Cut - not less than Animals or Atom Heart Mother. Maybe it's not very "Proggy", but it contains so nice and soul-catching melodies, sincere (almost crying) vocals...

And I really like the solo-albums by Waters, even Radio KAOS with drum-machine - the record is very clever and intelligent - it only takes some time to get a habit... The same thing with very inspiring THE PROS AND CONS OF HITCH-HICHING - I think that's the best guitar work by Clapton ever! And of course the geberal masterpiece by Roger Waters is his amazing album AMUSED TO DEATH with Jeff Beck on guitar!!!! Counting the whole PF+solo albums collection, AMUSED TO DEATH is the record #2 for me, with its so original general idea and conception, brilliant arrangements, power in heavier tracks and wonderfull melodies in calmer tracks. Anyway you need to be impressed by the album as the whole thing...

I'm far not a big fan of post-Waters albums. They really have a lack of originality, sincerity, intelligentce. This is a good music but no more...

And about the last of my questions: honestly, I even don't know how positive or negative was the Waters's decision to quit the band. But maybe he simply couldn't realize his ideas being the PF's participant? At least I'm sure that Waters were more necessary for Pink Floyd than Pink Floyd - for Waters...

I Prophesy Disaster...
James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2005 at 05:19
Originally posted by Emperor Emperor wrote:

Well, since 1983-1984 many fans talk about the leadership of Waters in Pink Floyd and about his sudden quit off the band...

1) Do you like the latest Waters-Era PF's albums (The Wall + The Final Cut) or not? Why?

nope, nothing after Animals really appeals to me. I'm not sure why...it just seems that they lost the originality and experimental quality. I think they went on to do valuable things, just nothing that I was looking for as far as my personal musical taste.

2) Do you like the solo-albums by Waters or not? Which of those albums do you prefer? Why?

I owned "Pros & Cons" and heard a lot of "Radio KAOS", and ultimately it was unsatisfying. I got the sense that The Wall, The FInal Cut, and Waters' solo stuff could have been distilled to make one good PF album and one decent solo release, but instead we got a sprawling series of almost-there releases with many similar themes and approaches.

I'm going to check out Division Bell, as a number of people really enjoy it, but I disliked Momentary Lapse as too glossy and unchallenging, too superficial.

4) Was the Waters's quit in 1983 positive or negative accident in musical/creative sense?

I don't think the band had much creative juice left. I think all the members eventually got what they wanted out of the split, which is a good thing; Waters followed his own muse and the rest got to prolong the Pink Floyd existence profitably. I don't think either side has much to offer me, but there's plenty of folks who value the newer stuff.

Thank you

Thank YOU.

Emperor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2005 at 05:34
[QUOTE=James Lee][

nope, nothing after Animals really appeals to me. I'm not sure why...it just seems that they lost the originality and experimental quality.

-Really?! But there's a lot of different experiments on THE WALL, as with the sound, as with composing of music...

I'm going to check out Division Bell, as a number of people really enjoy it, but I disliked Momentary Lapse as too glossy and unchallenging, too superficial.

-I also find it too glossy and uninspiring... So, I won't suggest you to buy THE DIVISION BELL when you're not impress A MOMENTARY LAPSE...

I Prophesy Disaster...
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2005 at 06:05
Emperorwrote:

Yes very much so.I love the wall but hate the hit single 'Another brick'',after extensive listerning over the years i began to accept 'The final cut' as a fine album..not to fussed about the 'Not now john' with all the female backing...Gives me visions of some Robert Palmer video..

I actually only own 'Pro's & cons of hitchiking' & find it,well an extension of the 'Final cut' pretty good actually..

Not worth answering..

Bands obvious change in style & direction is not all that bad,i feel Rogers was getting a bit up himself with the band at that time hence all not being well at the camp..Other than that,at the end of the day it's a buisness & if Rogers wants to persue his own personal projects that will reward him with a larger cash injection,so be it..But nice one Roger what did you leave us to put up with!a new Pink floyd band...Ah, have'nt a patch on the Rogers Floyd.

Captain Fudge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2005 at 08:35

Waters was the brains of PF. I mean , even if Gilmour "wrote by himself" Wish You Were Here (the song), Time and so on so forth, why did Gilmour's lyrics go downhill so steeply after Waters' departure?

This may get me crucified

Teenage sucks hard -- Emo sucks even harder
Epic. Simply epic.

Emperor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2005 at 09:00
I think that Gilmour mainly was the "executant" of Roger's ideas...
I Prophesy Disaster...
greenback View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2005 at 13:18

yes, they are as good, but different

yes, amused to death is as good as any pink floyd album

i love them: they are very atmospheric, and they use well the new technologies

VERY positive!

Thank you

look, if you think the only weak pink floyd was with syd barrett, then i think we can make good friends!Big smile

Edited by greenback
[HEADPINS - LINE OF FIRE: THE RECORD HAVING THE MOST POWERFUL GUITAR SOUND IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF MUSIC!>
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2005 at 13:20

I like the Wall, but can't stand The Final Cut. Waters solo albums are Sh*te, boring pieces of crap, on The Pros And Cons, there are some good moments, but Radio K.A.O.S. and Bored To Death (Amused To Death) are awfull, reasonably good lyrics, but ,music is just terrible.

Pink Floyd released some decent records after Rogers departure, but never really the good stuff they made together.

I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
Possessed View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2005 at 16:33

Thank you

1) I like The Wall. However, I have to be in a certain mood to listen to it. I dislike The Final Cut. Too much water's in the glass.

2) I prefer The Pros and Cons Of Hitch Hiking, I guess. The others I can live without.

3) I can listen to A Momentary Lapse Of Reason. The Division Bell? Roger's angst is missing and needed badly.

4) Negative. They needed each other even though Roger is too stubborn to admit it.

Edited by Possessed
FloydWright View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2005 at 16:59
Quote 1) Do you like the latest Waters-Era PF's albums (The Wall + The Final Cut) or not? Why?

I feel very differently about these 2 albums.

The Wall is musically extremely weak, and the concept nearly collapses under its own weight. It ceases to be "universal" like their previous concepts, and more personal to Roger Waters. Plus, I think that he simply whines about problems but proposes no solutions. Not my cup of tea. See Ayreon's The Human Equation and Rick Wright's Broken China for examples of similar concepts that actually resolve (or point the way to resolving) the problems they describe. Now, the live version of The Wall is better, but still, a poor effort compared to their prior glory.

The Final Cut is totally different. It's weak as a Pink Floyd album, but I treat it as a Roger Waters album instead, with prominent guest musicians Michael Kamen and David Gilmour. In fact, I suspect that a more generous musician would have granted some songwriting credits to both of them. So, oddly enough considering how weak the chord structures are compared to a Pink Floyd album, and how personal the lyrics are to Roger, I like this one better than The Wall.

Quote 2) Do you like the solo-albums by Waters or not? Which of those albums do you prefer? Why?

The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking I really don't like. The concept is stupid and the musicianship for the most part is way too artificial. I have no love for Eric Clapton. If I want something from that time period, I'll listen to The Final Cut.

Radio KAOS is very 80s, but oddly enough one of the most hopeful Roger Waters albums, in terms of the tone of the concept. I really wish that the outtake "Going to Live in LA" hadn't been axed from the album. That would've improved the flow of the concept. It's silly, 80s, political, dated...yet somehow still half decent.

As for Amused to Death, I am very torn about it. On one hand, it is a lyrical achievement, and musical (with the help of many undercredited musicians who probably "helped" more than Roger would like to admit). On the other hand, he writes with almost incomprehensible references at times and the anti-American (Reagan/Bush Sr. at the time) venom is getting old. This, personally, is not the kind of music I want to hear if I want to really relax and enjoy myself. I prefer the philosophy of Arjen Lucassen, that music is something you listen to to escape, not to drown in the problems and bitterness of the day.

Quote 3) How are you about post-Waters albums by Pink Floyd?

Momentary Lapse is decent, and The Division Bell is even more enjoyable. While neither is a masterpiece like Dark Side or Meddle, I like them because they are musically interesting to me, and have good lyrical moments here and there. I do think Gilmour's lyrics are a bit underrated..."Murder", "Sorrow", "High Hopes", and a few others really are enjoyable. Even other songs have their high points. No, it's not Waters...but that's like trying to say every other basketball player has to be Michael Jordan or something.

Quote 4) Was the Waters's quit in 1983 positive or negative accident in musical/creative sense?

In terms of musical creativity, it was a very, VERY good thing. Waters suppressed this side of Pink Floyd (the most important for a band, because lyrics without music are not music--they are poetry!), and to have it back was a big improvement. Lyrically and conceptually there was definitely a loss...but that's better than the music suffering even more than it already had.

Edited by FloydWright
James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2005 at 19:36

[QUOTE=James Lee][

nope, nothing after Animals really appeals to me. I'm not sure why...it just seems that they lost the originality and experimental quality.

-Really?! But there's a lot of different experiments on THE WALL, as with the sound, as with composing of music...

I can see your point; compared to other albums by other bands, The Wall is still pretty unique. I can't really say they weren't still breaking new ground, it's just that what they came up with for The Wall has less appeal for me. As a Pink Floyd fan, I have a hard time not comparing it to their previous works...and, I suppose, too much familiarity with the album itself lowers my opinion of it. There was a time when I was really into it, but it didn't stay that way (unlike any of the earlier stuff, which I enjoy more every time I hear them- except maybe the soundtracks ).

-I also find it too glossy and uninspiring... So, I won't suggest you to buy THE DIVISION BELL when you're not impress A MOMENTARY LAPSE...

It's not quite on my 'next ten CDs to buy' list...it might be a perfect candidate for a cheap used cassette for the car. 

Cluster One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2005 at 19:55
I own and appreciate all post-1983 FLOYD related records, but for varied reasons.

But of all those: "The Pros & Cons of Hitch Hiking", "Radio K.A.O.S.", "Amused To Death", "A Momentary Lapse of Reason", "Broken China", and "The Division Bell", the latter is truly a gem!

First of all, "The Division Bell" is not 'prog'. Get over it. Now that you have, realize that this is one of the most beautiful, uplifting, inspiring and atmospheric of FLOYD's works. PINK FLOYD...uplifting? Yes! MUSICALLY it is a masterpiece (lyrically it is simply 'average', although the references to Roger in it sprinkled throughout, and the concept of Communication, or lack thereof, are VERY intriguing).

Well all the naysayers (who probably don't own the album, or have heard it only a select few times) knock it, because they are extremely uncomfortable with one of the most 'angst-ridden' bands creating these melodic pieces. How can the same band that created "Animals" create this feelgood type of stuff? Easily. The band members are older, they have families, they have mellowed, and they no longer identify with the same issues/viewpoints they held in the 1970's. Oh, plus that Roger guy is not controlling the show.

"The Division Bell" is a much ignored FLOYDian masterpiece much maligned by pro-Waters supporters. And easily my second favourite FLOYD album after "Animals"
Marmalade...I like marmalade.
Rob The Good View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2005 at 20:43
I'm generally fed up with Mr Waters. Too left wing, too pessimistic, too 'hate-the-world'...and he really did destroy Floyd. In any band, there's nothing worse than someone getting too big for everyone else.

The Wall I enjoyed, but it was almost getting a bit too much...The Final Cut was really a shocker. It had good moments, but it wasn't a PF album in my opinion. The Division Bell was a fantastic album, because I felt it was staying true to earlier classics such as Meddle & DSOTM.
And Jesus said unto John, "come forth and receive eternal life..."
Unfortunately, John came fifth and was stuck with a toaster.
Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2005 at 22:06

I particularly enjoy the post-waters PF albums much more than Waters' solo efforts. I like most parts of "The Wall", while I love the remaining parts. I think that "The Final Cut" is techinically well crafted but musically boring. AMLoR and TDB are more interesting to me, specially the former. The closing track to the latter, 'High Hopes', is one of my 10 PF favourite tracks of all time -- beautiful lyrics and more beautiful musical composition. IMHO, Waters as a solo musician is incapable of conceiving the magic that is protrayed in songs such as 'On the Turning Away', 'Yet Another Movie', 'Sorrow', 'High Hopes', 'Poles Apart', and instrumentals such as 'terminal Frost' and 'Marooned'.

Regarding Waters' departure, well, it was something that was easy to see coming, since Waters seemed more interested in music as his own persona lvehicle than a project shared with fellow members. Anyway, the lyrics in the last two PF albums are the best in the band's history, but of course, they don't match the magic of "Meddle", "Dark Side", "Wish" or "Animals".

Regards.

Emperor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2005 at 02:11
Originally posted by greenback greenback wrote:

look, if you think the only weak pink floyd was with syd barrett, then i think we can make good friends!Big smile

I am sure we can be good friends without my confirmation of it

I like THE PIPER too

I Prophesy Disaster...
 Post Reply Post Reply