Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat artist touched you the most out prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Like title says?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
1 [6.67%]
1 [6.67%]
3 [20.00%]
1 [6.67%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [6.67%]
8 [53.33%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2007 at 00:37
Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

I forgot to mention the late Stevie Ray Vaughan, especially the two concerts I have seen (Vredenburg and North Sea Jazz Festival) were so compelling, this man put his entire heart, soul and troubled mind into his music and that is what the blues is about Clap

My wife's former boss was the county coroner for Walworth County, Wisconsin and had to oversee the tragedy. Whenever we visit my in-laws in Wisconsin we always have to pass right by Alpine Valley where it happened when travelling to Milwaukee from their house. Very eerie.

E
1800iareyay View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2007 at 00:40
Stevie was the best white blues player of all time, and one of the top 5 blues guitarists period. For me he even beats out Clapton b/c of his incredible emotion that stood out even in the genre of emotion. Clapton, though a little more skilled and a lot more important, rarely put that kind of soul into his music.
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2007 at 00:40
U2 without a doubt. I saw them on the Elevation tour only months after 9/11. During the song "One" all of the victims' names scrolled slowly up the screen behind the stage. Once the names reached the top of the screen they were then projected throughout the arena.

Seeing U2 live is like a religious experience. Nobody can come close to them live.

E

Edited by E-Dub - July 28 2007 at 00:41
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2007 at 13:54
Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

U2 without a doubt. I saw them on the Elevation tour only months after 9/11. During the song "One" all of the victims' names scrolled slowly up the screen behind the stage. Once the names reached the top of the screen they were then projected throughout the arena.

Seeing U2 live is like a religious experience. Nobody can come close to them live.

E
I saw U2 back in the early 80's as a support band and you could tell then that they were destined for stardom. Unfortunately after that stardom arrived they lost something for me. Under a Blood Red Sky is still one of my favorite live albums though.
What?
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2007 at 19:32
Thanks for the words about Stevie Ray Vaughan, I still feel the pain, what a lost, I have seen Stevie two times, this man knew how to translate feelings into music Clap
Dirk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2007 at 21:11
I'm curious then, just bought Strong persuader today but haven't listened to it yet. I know the title track and that's a pretty good one so i have high hopes.

Edit: Just realized this afternoon that Strong persuader is from the Robert Cray band, Steve Ray vaughn is the man who made  Texas Flood amongst other albums. Strange mixup, i must be getting old LOL. I don't have this Texas flood album, a friend of mine who used to  love blues music used to play it a lot  long time ago, so i know this is a good album. I'll look out for it but for now it's Robert Cray band.

Edited by Dirk - July 29 2007 at 12:56
deathblack29 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2007 at 17:43
Although over the last few years been listening more to progressive symphonic black/death metal bands, the first band I can remember listening to was Yes.  Although I don't listen to them as much as I used to, occasionally I will stick on Close To The Edge...it still gives me goosebumps. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12