Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - New CD Release By Prog Supergroup Amaran's Plight
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew CD Release By Prog Supergroup Amaran's Plight

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: New CD Release By Prog Supergroup Amaran's Plight
    Posted: August 02 2007 at 10:56
For Immediate Release

Debut CD Release By Progressive Rock Supergroup
Amaran's Plight

ProgRock Records Releases New CD By Amaran's Plight Featuring All-Star Line-Up

8/2/05 - Rancho Santa Margarita, CA - ProgRock Records, formidable US progressive rock label, is pleased to announce the release of the exciting debut CD by Amaran's Plight. The band's premier CD release has been greatly anticipated throughout the 'prog world' and immediate reaction has been fervid!

Amaran's Plight can only be described as a new 'Supergroup' and features the talents of:

DC Cooper (Ex-Royal Hunt, Silent Force)
Gary Wehrkamp (Shadow Gallery)
Nick D'Virgilio (Spock's Beard, Kevin Gilbert, Tears for Fears, Genesis)
Kurt Barabas (Under the Sun)

The band's debut album Voice in the Light upon release by Progrock Records and its label partners has been receiving rave reviews from fans and music critics worldwide. Voice in the Light was recorded in 2006 at Gary Wehrkamp's New Horizon Studios and described as textbook Symphonic Progressive Metal. It combines the soaring vocals of DC Cooper with the master riffs and melodies of Gary Wehrkamp, backed by the sonic, dynamic and explosive rhythm section of D'Virgilio and Barabas.

Gary Wehrkamp and DC Cooper are no strangers to working together. Gary is the keyboardist, guitarist and producer of veteran progressive rock ensemble, Shadow Gallery. DC Cooper appeared on their 1999 conceptual piece Tyranny as a guest vocalist on the epic track "New World Order". Fans of Shadow Gallery have longed for a Wehrkamp/Cooper collaboration ever since. DC Cooper is the voice behind the power prog-metal band, Silent Force. Before joining forces with guitarist Alex Boyrodt to form Silent Force, he was vocalist for veteran proggers, Royal Hunt. Nick D'Virgilio is one of the highest rated drummers in progressive rock today. Besides being the driving force behind Spock's Beard, he has also played with Mike Kennealy, Kevin Gilbert, Tears For Fears and Genesis. Nick takes drumming to the next level on Voice in the Light with an over the top performance that adds emotion, heart and a sonic punch that makes the band's debut album a must hear. Kurt Barbaras is one of the founding members of Los Angeles based Under The Sun, who also have a live CD released on ProgRock Records entitled Schematism - Onstage With Under The Sun. Along with Shadow Gallery, Under The Sun was part of the progressive rock revival spearheaded by Magna Carta records in the early 90's. Kurt's bass playing is often singled out as the driving force of Under The Sun.

Amaran's Plight Voice in the Light is an excursion into the heart of progressive rock music. The band's adept individual performing skills and composing talents takes the music to a sophisticated level of listening. Current plans for Amaran's Plight to perform live in support of the new CD release are in the works.

For more information on both releases by Amaran's Plight and Under The Sun contact www.progrockrecords.com

Press Inquiries:
Glass Onyon PR
[email protected]
Ph: 828-350-8158
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2007 at 19:04
Voice in the Light  is an awesome album.Amaran's Plight have been added to the archives and I strongly urge all prog metal fans to check them out.

1800iareyay View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2007 at 19:08
You know what sucks? I bought it off iTunes and the track Shattered Dreams skipped. I emailed their distributor, and the guy told me no else had that problem, which I accept b/c my computer has done weird things like this before (probably lost internet connection mid download) Now I'm wating for iTunes to either give me a new version of the track or to let me redownload the album. The other tracks work fine and the album sounds great, but that was a major bummer. Cry
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2007 at 19:15
Originally posted by 1800iareyay 1800iareyay wrote:

You know what sucks? I bought it off iTunes and the track Shattered Dreams skipped. I emailed their distributor, and the guy told me no else had that problem, which I accept b/c my computer has done weird things like this before (probably lost internet connection mid download) Now I'm wating for iTunes to either give me a new version of the track or to let me redownload the album. The other tracks work fine and the album sounds great, but that was a major bummer. Cry

That suck Jake because Shattered Dreams is a great track,also one of the three on the cd that are over 10 minutes long.

Edited by TheProgtologist - August 03 2007 at 12:07

jplanet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2007 at 19:32
I highly recommend Mindawn for purchasing music electronically...you get high quality Flac or Ogg files, and it is also a smaller company with much more personal service than iTunes...They have all the Progrock releases on there, too!
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2007 at 19:40
Originally posted by jplanet jplanet wrote:

I highly recommend Mindawn for purchasing music electronically...you get high quality Flac or Ogg files, and it is also a smaller company with much more personal service than iTunes...They have all the Progrock releases on there, too!

I can vouch for that, it's the only place I've purchased music for download (the two Magic Pie albums, some Salem Hill, etc.).  John, have Shadow Circus tracks been made available through Mindawn?
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2007 at 02:04

In fact they only have a very small selection of prog albums ... but I appreciated what they're trying to do.Smile
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2007 at 09:11

Yeah, the supprt guy from progrock records suggested that too, but cut me some slack, I don't have a credit card, and my mother is a Bible0thumper who considers half the music I listen to evil (yet she's an Alice Cooper fan. Go figure).
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2007 at 09:45
I downloaded the album from emusic and it sounds very good.  Emusic has about 10 Progrock Records albums, but they also have almost the entire InsideOut Music catalogue and that is right where my tastes lie.  First impressions, this is a very good album.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2007 at 11:30
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I downloaded the album from emusic and it sounds very good.  Emusic has about 10 Progrock Records albums, but they also have almost the entire InsideOut Music catalogue and that is right where my tastes lie.  First impressions, this is a very good album.

I also downloaded it from emusic ... here you can see some more albums which are available on emusic.com (the little note symbols link directly to the album pages at emusic).Smile

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - August 03 2007 at 11:32
jplanet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2007 at 12:04
Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

John, have Shadow Circus tracks been made available through Mindawn?

Yes, Mindawn's got them! Of course, that's a big part of the reason I'd recommend Mindawn over iTunes! ;-)
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2007 at 17:24
Well, I think progrock records is going to send me a hard copy, or at least a CD-R for my troubles, which suits me fine.
BigBoss View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2007 at 15:41
Mindawn has nearly 40,000 tracks now, most of that prog. We've been working on Inside Out and Magna Carta for a long time, but they are slow to do anything, other than that, we have a very large selection of prog and also material you can't find anywhere else, like some collaborations between Steve Walsh and Vince DiCola.

Let me say something about eMusic from an artists perspective, they don't pay crap, I see payments of $.02 for a song, so if you want to support the artists, the best place is Mindawn if possible.

I did take care of the gentleman that had the problem with Shattered Dreams. In case some of you don't know, I own and run both ProgRock Records and Mindawn.

Another cool thing about Amaran's Plight is that it just hit #1 in the progarchives for 2007 so far, which is very flattering. I'm sure it is just because of my 10 second keyboard solo in Viper :)
Best Regards,
Shawn Gordon
President
ProgRock Records
www.progrockrecords.com
www.mindawn.com
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2007 at 16:56
^ A track costs at least $0.30 at emusic.com, and I doubt that emusic.com themselves get $0.28 (93-94%) and only $0.02 (6-7%) go to the rights holders ... so what you're saying there confuses me: Either you agreed to a very, very bad deal, or the figures aren't correct.

Help me out here ... I'd really, really like to understand this business model.Embarrassed
BigBoss View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2007 at 23:55
with most digital distribution services the only way to get in them is through a propogator. That 3rd party only takes a small percentage, and basically you sign up with them and they put you out with everyone that they work with, you can't really pick and choose for the most part. All I know is looking at our royalty reports is that Napster and eMusic don't pay crap back. I've never used those services, so I don't know how they are set up specifically. If I had more time, I'd spend some more time checking it. I should probably do that when the kids get back in school.
Best Regards,
Shawn Gordon
President
ProgRock Records
www.progrockrecords.com
www.mindawn.com
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2007 at 01:33
^ so you're basically saying that as the owner of some digital content you make a contract with a mysterious "propagator" who registers your content with - for example - emusic.com and who only takes a small percentage - and you also only get a small percentage of the revenue?

Doesn't make sense to me ... isn't there a way to skip this "propagator" and directly contract with Napster or emusic? From various reports and articles I know that Napster takes less than 10% of the subscription fees (which seems reasonable) so provided there are no more "links in the chain" the copyright holder should see much more of the revenue.

BTW: I bought one album at mindawn.com and I liked the idea ... however, it's too expensive for me considering that I can often order the real album on Amazon/Caiman for around $10 (including shipping). Why should I pay $9 for the digital content of the album when I only have to spend a few bucks more and also get the proper CD and booklet? It's also a bit cumbersome having to convert the FLAC to mp3. Ok, there's the more affordable OGG version, but that doesn't work on my portable player. So: I'd probably use mindawn.com more often if you offered the real CDs.

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - August 14 2007 at 01:34
BigBoss View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2007 at 01:40
iTunes is $10 for a lossy download and Mindawn is $9 for a lossless download. You can't find any of our material for example on Amazon for $10 unless it is used, and if they claim it isn't used, they are lying.

A big reason I created Mindawn several years ago was because at the time it was impossible as a small label to get your material on these download services.

The nature of some of these services is odd, for example you've got the all you can eat, monthly subscription service that absolutely rapes the artist, and I believe they will die off soon as more people realize how screwed they are getting. Then there is the more 'rental' model, where you basically pay to play it each time. I think this is a messed up model for both the consumer and the artist, but that is another scenario where payments are very low. Also services like to work with propagators, it is less entities to deal with, same reason why big chain stores deal with big distributors, makes life easy. This is one reason why I designed Mindawn the way that I did, it is no difference to deal with an indie artist or a big distributor or a small label because we allow them to manage their own content, which no one else does.
Best Regards,
Shawn Gordon
President
ProgRock Records
www.progrockrecords.com
www.mindawn.com
 Post Reply Post Reply