Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSeventh Wave

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seventh Wave
    Posted: September 08 2007 at 03:58
Just recently aquired an album by Seventh Wave called 'Things to Come' - Really excellent.

Just a 2 man combo, one playing a variety of keyboards, synths, the other drums and percussion. It is a multi layered, keyboard masterpiece in my view.

The band evolved out of late 60's early 70's outfit Second Hand. They did a second album (looking for) which I have read features Hugh Banton from VDGG.

My point being has anyone else heard of/heard/like/love this band??
Tongue 

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2007 at 07:26
Seventh Wave are one of my all time favorite bands and I've worn out two copies of Things to Come on vinyl.

As you say, they evolved from Secondhand, via Chilum with only Kieran O'Connor and Ken Elliot continuing on into SW.

Sadly Kieran died of alcholicism/suicide in the mid 80's.

Their second album, Psi Fi, was a huge disapointment at the time of it's release since it was more pop-song oriented, having lost most the symphonic and  experimental overtones of the debut, but in retrospect they are remarkablly complex pop-songs. The album contains a lot of extra musicians that at the time seemed unnecessary when compared to what they achieved on Things To Come as a duo.

You can get the second album Psi Fi as part of double-CD with Things To Come on Colin Miles' wonderful See For Miles label, but they put a shortened version on Manifestations on that which is a shame because it is one of the better tracks from Psi-Fi. Otherwise you'll have to get the expensive Japanese version.

Everytime I visit the beach I find myself counting waves to see of the 7th wave is indeed the largest. Smile
What?
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 14:47
Hi,

Thx Dean ...

There is also an interview with Ken Elliott you may like: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=57057

Just picked up the double CD for this, to replace my overused and aged LP's.

As expected, the last two cuts of the Psi-Fi album got 27 listens in a row (together with a little mustard on the exageration!) and Things to Come in its entirety 3 times. The opening on Side 2 of Things to Come, on the FM radio at KTYD (I have this recorded!) is even better, stronger, and shows what we already know was happening ... that the turntables slowed down ever so slightly made that incredible cascade of sound come off even better ... that a digital remaster likely will not!

Hearing this 35 years later, and after that discussion on analog/digital thread, is even more amazing ... how these sounds were used to create an amazing tapestry of sound ... that still stands out. It has aibt of pop, and rock and funk here and there, but in the end ... this is only the beginning ... and what an insane pair of albums these were.

Highly recommened for folks that like keyboards in bunches ...

And now, I will go home and mp3 the CD's and bring them into the car ... so I can Camera Obscura myself while driving! Right after Steppenwolf by Hawkwind, of course ... or maybe even ... Reefer Madness"!

Edited by moshkito - October 03 2012 at 14:50
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 23:27
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Seventh Wave are one of my all time favorite bands and I've worn out two copies of Things to Come on vinyl.

As you say, they evolved from Secondhand, via Chilum with only Kieran O'Connor and Ken Elliot continuing on into SW.

Sadly Kieran died of alcholicism/suicide in the mid 80's.

Their second album, Psi Fi, was a huge disapointment at the time of it's release since it was more pop-song oriented, having lost most the symphonic and  experimental overtones of the debut, but in retrospect they are remarkablly complex pop-songs. The album contains a lot of extra musicians that at the time seemed unnecessary when compared to what they achieved on Things To Come as a duo.

You can get the second album Psi Fi as part of double-CD with Things To Come on Colin Miles' wonderful See For Miles label, but they put a shortened version on Manifestations on that which is a shame because it is one of the better tracks from Psi-Fi. Otherwise you'll have to get the expensive Japanese version.

Everytime I visit the beach I find myself counting waves to see of the 7th wave is indeed the largest. Smile

I love Psi-Fi.  I love the whole proto-new wave thing they have going on and it also does have my favorite song of theirs, Star Palace of the Sombre Warrior.  That song has to be in my top 25 songs of all time. 
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2014 at 23:17
Agreed, highly underrated and uncelebrated band who were ahead of their time. The only complaint I have is the production on the 2nd album, which is a bit muddy in places. But the quality of the music, especially the last 2 tracks, Camera Obscura and Star Palace of the Sombre Warrior, make up for it.

Sorry to hear about Kieran, wasn’t aware of his untimely death until now.

Edited by AreYouHuman - June 11 2017 at 22:55
Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2014 at 06:28

I thought that was the Ninth Wave?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2014 at 06:36
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I thought that was the Ninth Wave?
I thought that was side 2 of Kate Bush's Hounds of Love.

Sting sang of the Seventh Wave, the name of the band here is also Seventh Wave.

...in other words, it varies. Big smile
What?
CheapVinyl View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2017 at 12:37
I have just picked up a copy of Things to Come at a boot sale. No sleeve, but I note my copy is on the Fungus label, dated 1973 and marked Promotional copy only. As it's on a different label and a bit earlier is it any different to the Gull release?  
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2017 at 13:16
I understand 'Fungus' was a moniker used by the band before they morphed into Seventh wave.. i also heard from a fellow record collector that they might have self-financed a release before the Gull (Decca) deal was finalised but im not sure about that..

The moset relatively recent and affectionate nods to this band/ lp was Gruff Rhys of Super Furry Animals who used part of the track 'Things to come' on the track '(this is not a song) this is just the beginning' on his solo lp 'Candylion' Thumbs Up

noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2017 at 23:11
What an interesting band!....  They sound good!!!!.............................
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2017 at 03:33
Originally posted by kingdhansak kingdhansak wrote:

Just recently aquired an album by Seventh Wave called 'Things to Come' - Really excellent.

Just a 2 man combo, one playing a variety of keyboards, synths, the other drums and percussion. It is a multi layered, keyboard masterpiece in my view.

The band evolved out of late 60's early 70's outfit Second Hand. They did a second album (looking for) which I have read features Hugh Banton from VDGG.

My point being has anyone else heard of/heard/like/love this band??
Tongue 

Managed to get the album 'Things To Come' and love it!!!....   Highly recommended band.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2017 at 13:10
Found a copy on vinyl the other day ......though I have heard it before on cd.
A decent album but I'm a bit surprised at all the adulation for it since imho it's not more than 3 stars .
Indeed the PA rating is only 2.83....but then what do we know. ;)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2017 at 14:46
Same here, Doc. What's all the fuss? Ok album, IMO.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2017 at 18:42
I first heard about this band because they had a song on the "Super Natural Fairy Tales" boxed set back in the late nineties. That five cd boxed set(now oop)had not just the big names like Yes, Genesis and ELP but also bands like Gong, Gentle Giant, VDGG, Clearlight, Wigwam, Curved Air, PFM, Magma and of course Seventh Wave as well as many others. I believe the Seventh Wave track was called something like "the dream palace of the somber warrior."

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - June 15 2017 at 18:49
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2017 at 01:02
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Found a copy on vinyl the other day ......though I have heard it before on cd.
A decent album but I'm a bit surprised at all the adulation for it since imho it's not more than 3 stars .
Indeed the PA rating is only 2.83....but then what do we know. ;)

I've noticed on the PA site, despite a good review some score their music low ,  between 3-4 stars.....   With the odd person not liking it which throws the music rating way off....  Generally when I see recommendations,  generally look at sample reviews/YouTube/Soundcloud or any other media to listen to before buying...

My taste are generally Symphonic/Neo/Crossover/Prog Folk and Jazz rock....   With the introduction of new genres in the prog field,  leads me more confused......  So far I like the sound of Seventh Wave.  Something new for me, despite being an old band...

Thanks to all you guys out there my music collection would be small!....

Post Reply Post Reply