Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedList of Rejected Artists

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2007 at 17:12
From AllMusic:

Listen%20Now
Stratovarius
wrong person? more matches HERE
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2007 at 18:26
Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

Certainly guys; the bands were Quarteto 1111 and Saga (PT). I suggested to Chopper that Saga should be submited to Symphonic Prog, and Quarteto 1111 to Proto-Prog, Psychedelic, Art-Rock and Symphonic Prog (we didn't had Crossover or Eclectic back then LOL). 

Both these bands were passed to the Symphonic Team in June.
andu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2007 at 18:30
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Certainly guys; the bands were Quarteto 1111 and Saga (PT). I suggested to Chopper that Saga should be submited to Symphonic Prog, and Quarteto 1111 to Proto-Prog, Psychedelic, Art-Rock and Symphonic Prog (we didn't had Crossover or Eclectic back then LOL). 

I wasn't on the team then, but I'll check out what happened with those submissions... Thanks for reminding.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2007 at 17:50
I still think it utterly ridiculous that Metallica were rejected, yet literally hundreds of less deserving bands made it in - including high profile non-Prog bands as "Prog-Related".

If any band is Prog (Metal) related, Metallica are.

The important thing is not to stop questioning.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2007 at 18:55
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

I still think it utterly ridiculous that Metallica were rejected, yet literally hundreds of less deserving bands made it in - including high profile non-Prog bands as "Prog-Related".

Wiser words have never been spoken.

Metallica has TWO full-prog-metal albums... yet we discuss BOSTON and PHIL COLLINS with threads longer than life...

Of course it's the name. That word "Metallica" scares many people here into believeing this is going the way of the metal.
ProgBagel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2007 at 19:05
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

Here's the brief list for proto prog and prog related. The teams for the prog genres will have their own lists.

My dying bride  

Phil Collins (exceptional rejection of prog band member)

Metallica (30/5/07) (Rejection confirmed by M@x)

Dead can dance (4/9/07, added as prog folk)

As you'll see, PC is on it! No harm in the current debate continuing, but he's a non-starter I'm afraid (I forgot he was thereEmbarrassed).

Metallica!! OH NOO

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2007 at 19:10

Well Chopper, due to my llegal formation, I'm used to archive everyything I receive, and this is the June list of PM's: and didn't received a single PM of those bands.

Justt deleted by accident all my inbox but never received message about those bands.

Please send the info to Andu who is in charge of the team for some days

Iván

bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2007 at 00:09
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Well Chopper, due to my llegal formation, I'm used to archive everyything I receive, and this is the June list of PM's: and didn't received a single PM of those bands.

Justt deleted by accident all my inbox but never received message about those bands.

Iván

Actaually, they were sent to me. I think we thought Saga was better suited for a different sub. I think we were waiting for other opinions on Quarteto 1111, didn't get them, and then just kind of forgot. Sorry.

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2007 at 07:41
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Wiser words have never been spoken.

Metallica has TWO full-prog-metal albums... yet we discuss BOSTON and PHIL COLLINS with threads longer than life...

Of course it's the name. That word "Metallica" scares many people here into believeing this is going the way of the metal.

Indeed - that's all it is.

Blind prejudice against who Metallica have become, not what they actually were.

I'm still having problems understanding the logic of Blue Oyster Cult, Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath (the latter being the epitome of metal), but not Metallica, whose influence, musical ideas - not to mention actual music - are used by Prog Metal bands.

Still, it's not my site.
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2007 at 10:18

yet we discuss BOSTON and PHIL COLLINS with threads longer than life...

Niether of them has been added either. I'm not sure why you would wish to prohibit discussing them or anyone else though, simply because you disagree with one rejection.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2007 at 14:02

I agree that Metallica should be here ... it's my personal opinion and I respect the decision to not add them though.

But what bothers me about your post is the expression "less deserving" ... I don't think that only good bands should be added. If a band attempts to sound like Dream Theater and make one such album ... they should be added, regardless of whether it sucks or not.

BTW: Which non-prog bands from the PR-category are you talking about?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2007 at 14:07

Presumably they were rejected for Prog Metal Mike, the list I provided was just for Prog Related.

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2007 at 14:25
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

I agree that Metallica should be here ... it's my personal opinion and I respect the decision to not add them though.

But what bothers me about your post is the expression "less deserving" ... I don't think that only good bands should be added. If a band attempts to sound like Dream Theater and make one such album ... they should be added, regardless of whether it sucks or not.

It's true that there are bands here that are prog and suck... and as Mike says, deserving of being here. Age of Nemesis is an example, or Lemur Voice. They DO suck (in my opinion of course) and are poor DT-clones, but they are prog-metal and deserve their spot.

So does Metallica.

If, suddenly, for some strange reason, Master of Puppets and And Justice for all were reissued under another band name, say, "Progtallica", believe me, they would be here in one day and not only that but would win polls for albums of the year....
ProgBagel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2007 at 15:09

I agree that Metallica should be here ... it's my personal opinion and I respect the decision to not add them though.But what bothers me about your post is the expression "less deserving" ... I don't think that only good bands should be added. If a band attempts to sound like Dream Theater and make one such album ... they should be added, regardless of whether it sucks or not.BTW: Which non-prog bands from the PR-category are you talking about?

It's true that there are bands here that are prog and suck... and as Mike says, deserving of being here. Age of Nemesis is an example, or Lemur Voice. They DO suck (in my opinion of course) and are poor DT-clones, but they are prog-metal and deserve their spot.

So does Metallica.

If, suddenly, for some strange reason, Master of Puppets and And Justice for all were reissued under another band name, say, "Progtallica", believe me, they would be here in one day and not only that but would win polls for albums of the year....

I kind of take my opinion back...I believe Megadeth deserves a related spot. Dave Mustaine sorrounded himself with brilliant musicians..and some of them made it onto the archives somehow. Metallica and Megadeth are similar...if one should be here, the other should too.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2007 at 15:16
Originally posted by ProgBagel ProgBagel wrote:

I agree that Metallica should be here ... it's my personal opinion and I respect the decision to not add them though.But what bothers me about your post is the expression "less deserving" ... I don't think that only good bands should be added. If a band attempts to sound like Dream Theater and make one such album ... they should be added, regardless of whether it sucks or not.BTW: Which non-prog bands from the PR-category are you talking about?

So does Metallica.

I kind of take my opinion back...I believe Megadeth deserves a related spot. Dave Mustaine sorrounded himself with brilliant musicians..and some of them made it onto the archives somehow. Metallica and Megadeth are similar...if one should be here, the other should too.

Explain to me what's so similar about Megadeth and Metallica, other than the fact that the lead guitar of one was lead of the other at one time? Confused

Maybe Rust in Peace has some weak prog elements, but it's mostly techincal thrash.

Now, MOF and AJFA, well, all our loved DT's and the such drunk from that fountain.

But Asia is here.
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2007 at 15:26
I smell a good discussion topic turning into a heavy debate...
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2007 at 16:58
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Iván

I send everything to bhikku now as requested. Most of the emails I send to you, Ivan, get rejected.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2007 at 22:33

I send everything to bhikku now as requested. Most of the emails I send to you, Ivan, get rejected.

Hi Chopper, I posted some time ago that my mail has been changed
Bonus server exists no more, my address is (removed)

Can't change my old mail becauseof the site rules.

Iván

(It's as well to avoid publishing your e-mail address in the open area of the forumWink)

Edited by Easy Livin - November 20 2007 at 03:19

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2007 at 03:20
Ivan, I think you're OK changing you're e-mail address now. It used to be the link to your reviews, but it should be your forum that does that profile now.

Try it then check your reviews are still linked to you.

Edited by Easy Livin - November 20 2007 at 03:21
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2007 at 03:20

I don't think that's helpful to the discussion - it's too much detail, and will likely spark a side-debate.

The "expression" I used is a simple observation of fact - there are bands in the archives that are less technical, less influential and above all, less progressive than Metallica.

I am not talking about adding a band I like, I am talking about consistency - that is all.

Originally posted by ProgBagel ProgBagel wrote:

Explain to me what's so similar about Megadeth and Metallica, other than the fact that the lead guitar of one was lead of the other at one time? Confused

Maybe Rust in Peace has some weak prog elements, but it's mostly techincal thrash.

Now, MOF and AJFA, well, all our loved DT's and the such drunk from that fountain.

But Asia is here.

The T hits the nail on the head Big%20smile

You can identify proggy elements in so many bands - practically everyone in rock, if you listen hard enough for the elements.

But it's not about the elements - it's about the combination of those elements, the attitude to music creation, and, of course, the end result.

Megadeth are a great, innovative and technically-oriented band - but I find it hard to hear their influence resonating in Prog Metal.

Admittedly, I haven't heard a huge amount of Prog Metal... Embarrassed

Innovation, virtuosity and technicality != Prog in themselves, any more than Mellotrons, orchestral arrangements and unusual time signatures automatically mean Prog Rock.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12