Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMudvayne in the Arhives?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2007 at 09:18
Dude, Mudvayne are totally prog. They wear makeup and stuff like Peter Gabriel. That means they are prog.
~Rael~ View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2007 at 16:15
Originally posted by keiser willhelm keiser willhelm wrote:

Mudvayne is certainly complicated at times, math metal perhaps if only on their first CD LD50 (which is on my top 50 llst Embarrassed . . im so emo) but clearly not prog.
They really only break the mold in terms of time sigs and riffing patterns. Lyrically they fail to impress, they dont use any incredibly different song structure/composition from most rock bands and arent particularly achieved at their respective instruments (though i love their bassist and his interaction with the drummer- really cool rhythm section)
poooossssibly prog related but even thats a real stretch. i think they're better off off the archives.

EDIT - seriously though. . . Blind Guardian? LOL. sorry.

Thanks for giving me reasons man, I understand.

I like all their albums, and even though LD50 seems to be the fan favorite, I like all ofthem, and think thier sound has grown. I really disagree with them having bad lyrics, with the exception of f**king Determined. And I think the song World so Cold is one of thier best, lol.
I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress . . .
heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2007 at 18:50
Dig makes me lol

Harry Hood View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2007 at 21:57
"Hi, we're Mudvanye" - Cedric Zavala
heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2007 at 22:03
I thought it was Omar who said that Cry

edit: does it matter? its still funny

Edited by heyitsthatguy - December 13 2007 at 22:03

moreitsythanyou View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2007 at 22:10
Originally posted by Harry Hood Harry Hood wrote:

LOL
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

~Rael~ View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2007 at 22:59
Originally posted by heyitsthatguy heyitsthatguy wrote:

I thought it was Omar who said that Cry

edit: does it matter? its still funny

What is so funny? I'm missing something here.
I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress . . .
1800iareyay View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2007 at 23:04
I can't wait to hear Ryan Martinie somewhere else. He's maybe the best new bassist to emerge in the 21st century, but I can't really get behind Mudvayne.
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2007 at 01:30
Originally posted by 1800iareyay 1800iareyay wrote:

I can't wait to hear Ryan Martinie somewhere else. He's maybe the best new bassist to emerge in the 21st century, but I can't really get behind Mudvayne.

Agreed.Not only Martinie but Mudvayne's rhythm section on the whole is superb.

Sckxyss View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2007 at 16:55
Originally posted by moreitsythanyou moreitsythanyou wrote:

Originally posted by Harry Hood Harry Hood wrote:

LOL

LOLLOL

Edited by Sckxyss - December 14 2007 at 16:56
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2008 at 23:48
Well, actually they are Math-rock, but with all these pompous prog snobs cutting the topic starter down, I suppose I will also be getting snickered at for even concurring with the guy a little. I do consider them prog., Like I said, "Math Rock", but I don't think Prog Archives will add them because too many people think Mudvayne is just "Nu-Metal" garbage, which they are not.

I would also like to add, however, that I agree with what was said earlier; I think it can get a bit absurd when people start suggesting clearly generic and sound-alike bands to be included as "prog". I just happen to agree with the Mudvayne suggestion, oddly enough. Someone else recently suggested 30 Seconds to Mars (or maybe it was the same person?) and all I can say to a suggesion like that is . . . WHAT? But at least with Mudvayne there is merrit and reason behind the man's suggestion. I even think the band themselves have stated that they are math rock? I could be wrong, though . . .

Avantgardehead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2008 at 03:01
L.D. 50 had some prog moments. Some adventure, some breaking the mold, and some very good bass-work. These elements, however, were quite watered-down on the next album and same thing (even more so) for the album after that.

If Mudvayne gets in than so should Slipknot because their latest one had a bunch of weird, psuedo proggy stuff in it too.
http://www.last.fm/user/Avantgardian
keiser willhelm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2008 at 11:28
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

Originally posted by 1800iareyay 1800iareyay wrote:

Agreed.Not only Martinie but Mudvayne's rhythm section on the whole is superb.

Thirded. I have been all about Martinie since i discovered mudvayne in like 7th grade. I dont know if anyone has seen them live but Martini and the drummer (name? spud kudd spag? ) made that show worth going to. im trying to find a decent video of him on you tube

Gamemako View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2008 at 20:00
Originally posted by p0mt3 p0mt3 wrote:

Well, actually they are Math-rock, but with all these pompous prog snobs cutting the topic starter down, I suppose I will also be getting snickered at for even concurring with the guy a little. I do consider them prog., Like I said, "Math Rock", but I don't think Prog Archives will add them because too many people think Mudvayne is just "Nu-Metal" garbage, which they are not.

I would also like to add, however, that I agree with what was said earlier; I think it can get a bit absurd when people start suggesting clearly generic and sound-alike bands to be included as "prog". I just happen to agree with the Mudvayne suggestion, oddly enough. Someone else recently suggested 30 Seconds to Mars (or maybe it was the same person?) and all I can say to a suggesion like that is . . . WHAT? But at least with Mudvayne there is merrit and reason behind the man's suggestion. I even think the band themselves have stated that they are math rock? I could be wrong, though . . .

I think you can make a legitimate discussion of what they are, nu metal comments aside. From what I've heard, I wouldn't call them prog or even prog-related: they have occasional odd time signatures, but that aside, you're looking at fairly typical structures and sounds.

If you have more evidence for them, I'm sure people wouldn't be too opposed to considering them for prog-related, but you'll need to make a case for them. I can't help or hinder much as my experience with them is somewhat limited.

That, and nobody takes threads about the Arhives seriously.Big%20smile
Hail Eris!
Drakk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2008 at 23:25
I myself actually like LD 50, it certainly is much more interesting than your typical metal fare, and I'm not one to limit myself to one genre.  However, I don't really consider them "prog" in the sense of this site.  They added some interesting elements to their music, mainly in LD 50, the bass work was superb and very tight.  The lyrics were... well, in my opinion, laughable, taken out of context, but if you don't listen to them very carefully, they work well in the musc.Wink
[QUOTE=darkshade] [QUOTE=Sckxyss]
I'm disappointed - neither of these players are avant-garde!

Al di Meola.

[/QUOTE]

haha i know. but the poll itself is avant-garde
[/QUOTE]
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2008 at 23:35
Originally posted by Avantgardehead Avantgardehead wrote:

L.D. 50 had some prog moments. Some adventure, some breaking the mold, and some very good bass-work. These elements, however, were quite watered-down on the next album and same thing (even more so) for the album after that.

If Mudvayne gets in than so should Slipknot because their latest one had a bunch of weird, psuedo proggy stuff in it too.

Slipknot and Mudvayne in the Archives? I like that idea......in an alternate universe of an alternate universe.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12