A pint of Prog-Grog, I'd say!!

pip, pip and all that rot.

Glass-Prison View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2004 at 19:21
Originally posted by maani maani wrote:

Elfangio:

By all means!  However, remember that double negatives cancel themselves out.  Thus, anything beyond "anti" is "anti"-itself...  I only fear that an "anti-anti-anti-thread" is already in the works...

Peace.

Well, in the case of a triple negative, it would happen to work out to a negative, just like any odd number of negatives. to get your mind around it, remember this: the not-unblack dog chased the not-un-fast rabbit across the not-un-green field.

Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2004 at 03:34
Originally posted by Glass-Prison Glass-Prison wrote:

Elfangio:

By all means!  However, remember that double negatives cancel themselves out.  Thus, anything beyond "anti" is "anti"-itself...  I only fear that an "anti-anti-anti-thread" is already in the works...

Peace.

Well, in the case of a triple negative, it would happen to work out to a negative, just like any odd number of negatives. to get your mind around it, remember this: the not-unblack dog chased the not-un-fast rabbit across the not-un-green field.

Calling Peter Rideout - you're the English major here - you sort it out!!

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2004 at 08:40
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

Originally posted by Glass-Prison Glass-Prison wrote:

[QUOTE=maani]

Elfangio:

Peace.

Calling Peter Rideout - you're the English major here - you sort it out!![/QUOTE]

Ermm Glass is correct. As with math, an odd number of negatives remains negative. An even number cancel themselves out. If you say "I didn't do nothing," then that means that you did do something.

Thus, in the convoluted example above, we have a black dog, a fast rabbit, a green field, and a terrible sentence!LOL

Edited by Peter Rideout
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Glass-Prison View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2004 at 11:57
Don't blame me, blame john dewey.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2004 at 17:37

Richard:

What an interesting idea: an "anti"-thread.  Hmmm...  Since the "Gods" of progarchives have given me absolute power over the forums, I will, as you suggest, take into serious consideration whether particular threads have "outgrown their usefulness"...

That said, I actually like the idea of an anti-thread.  Let's see where this one leads.  After all, I might just decide that this thread is worthy of deletion...

In the meantime, my own (official?) two cents worth here.  For the "regulars" (and...uh...irregulars?), band-related threads can seem like so much opinionated "wheel-spinning."  However, they can be a good source of info (pro and con) for newbies and occasional visitors.  For that reason, it would seem worthwhile to maintain them for a period.  Also keep in mind that the entire forum idea is still basically in its infancy: it was only started a few months ago.  In this regard, one of my new "jobs" (for which they are paying me the "big bucks"...) will be to help Max et al determine how things are going, how things might be tweaked/modified, etc.

Still, keep those cards and letters coming...  And feel free to post additional anti-threads if you feel so inclined...

Peace.

Basically the most overated band thread annoyed me because attacking (as I see it) the major players of the genre (ELP,Yes and Genesis etc) is stupendously silly.This is a PROG Forum ffs.Where would prog rock be without these bands??Thinking about it,this forum would instantly go up in a puff of smoke.

corbet View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2004 at 22:44

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Basically the most overated band thread annoyed me because attacking (as I see it) the major players of the genre (ELP,Yes and Genesis etc) is stupendously silly.This is a PROG Forum ffs.Where would prog rock be without these bands??Thinking about it,this forum would instantly go up in a puff of smoke.

I think you forget that there are probably a lot of people who visit this site who don't even listen to bands like ELP, Yes and Genesis...

I would halt all the complaining going on in these forums (by quite a few people) about "too many stars!!" and "too few stars!!!" and "he ripped up my favorite album!!" and so on...  to me it just comes off as so much fussing about puffed-up opinions that people cherish too dearly and want to have "standardized" in some way.  What a joke!  Really, think about it.

Stormcrow View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2004 at 11:57
Originally posted by corbet corbet wrote:

I think you forget that there are probably a lot of people who visit this site who don't even listen to bands like ELP, Yes and Genesis...

Well if they are not, why aren't they???  <SMILIE>

I would halt all the complaining going on in these forums (by quite a few people) about "too many stars!!" and "too few stars!!!" and "he ripped up my favorite album!!" and so on...  to me it just comes off as so much fussing about puffed-up opinions that people cherish too dearly and want to have "standardized" in some way.  What a joke!  Really, think about it.

EGAD, MAN!  You're talking about eliminating half of the forum traffic!!!!

<SMILIE>

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2004 at 16:30

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I've thought about it a lot.Actually the last 25 years or so since I bought my first ELP album and then read all the tripe that was coming from many music critics about my beloved music.I've had my fill of it quite honestly and if I see fit to have a grumble I will.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12