ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2008 at 17:06
Please do - interested to see how the new material is.
GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2008 at 09:58

Wow.  Just wow.

Since the ProgNation tour wasn’t coming to Pittsburgh, the three opening bands decided to do an off-date show here while Dream Theater rested their old bones.   That was great for me, mainly because I’m not terribly interested in seeing DT again at this point, and because they weren’t there, ticket prices were much lower (DT are a bunch of greedy old men). 

The show was at Mr. Smalls, a large club venue built in an old church, so it has a very gothic atmosphere... perfect for Opeth.  Also, the show was sold-out and the house was completely packed, despite there being a Penguins playoff game at the same time.

I arrived just as 3 were beginning their set, and they once again proved that they are a very worthy live act.  I have always been sort of tepid about their studio albums, but they really put on a great high-energy performance.  The effect of the two drummers comes across much better live than in the studio (and of course it wouldn’t be a prog rock show without a drum solo).  The only detraction for me was that they played pretty much the exact same set I saw them perform two years ago.  Even the “jam” parts were the same.  Still, enjoyable.

Next up were progressive metalcore darlings Between the Buried and Me.  Now, I have never been able to get into this band, despite repeated attempts, but I though maybe seeing them live would change my mind. 

It didn’t.

But I did realize exactly why I don’t like them.  They’re certainly talented musicians and they don’t hesitate to show that off.  Their songs have many clever little passages and neat progressive parts.  The problem for me is that for every interesting part, they visit at least two lame metalcore cliches, like chug-a-chug breakdowns and half-speed changeups.  Anyway, needless to say I was disappointed by BTBAM.  They are certainly talented and they sounded good, but they are just not my cup of metal tea.  Fortunately, this afforded me time to spend at the bar (hooray for Mr. Smalls having East End Brewry “Big Hop” on tap!).

A few beers later, I was brave enough to fight my way up to the front of the house before Opeth came on.  With Opeth, a band with a fairly large catalog of very long songs, it’s hard to know what to expect.  All I hoped was that they would play “The Drapery Falls”, which is my favorite song of theirs. 

I couldn’t have asked for a better set.  They sounded perfect and absolutely destroyed.  The band isn’t much for stage antics... they mostly just stand in place and play, maybe headbang a little, but the crowd was completely into it and going nuts.  They pulled songs from as far back as Still Life, and played “Heir Apparent” from the upcoming album, which was described by Akerfelt himself (in his goofy Swedish accent) as “very brutal”.  They even played “In My Time of Need” and “To Rid the Disease” from Damnation, and “Demons of the Fall” from Deliverance.  All of this I watched from a few feet back from center stage, while moshing erupted intermittently around me.

After a ripping set, they left the stage,  and I would have been satisfied with the set, even though they hadn’t played my favorite song.  The sold-out crowd cheered them back onstage, and they started into The Drapery Falls. 

I about lost my sh**.Big%20smile

So today, despite 3 Advil, my head and neck are killing me, and I can’t hear a damn thing, but that’s just the sign of a good show.

Fantastic night, one of the best shows I’ve seen in a very long time.  I highly recommend catching these guys on one of the ProgNation off-dates.  The price is right, and the show is much better.  Can’t wait to see them again in september!Clap

http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2008 at 10:02
Friggin' awesome Chris, sounds like such a great gig.  Clap
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2008 at 10:13
Thanks!  it was.

I also forgot to mention Akerfelt's Comus t-shirt, and how he commented that he is friends with the guy from Comus, who happens to be an Opeth fan.
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2008 at 13:58
Sounds cool! But don't disparage DT! Haha, I agree with the greedy old men but, but they do put on an unforgettable live experience.

Shame you can't get into BTBAM. I think they've moved past the metal cliches you speak of, but maybe I just don't notice them.

Sounds like a great night!
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
Statutory-Mike View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2008 at 18:48
Sounds like a great show! I do disagree with your opinions of DT though, saw them in NYC and even though every band was fantastic, they brought it to the next level. I don't like the fact that Opeth only played for an hour on prognation.

How long did Opeth play for?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2008 at 11:17
Opeth played for well over an hour, probably about an hour and a half, which is exactly why I'm glad I saw them here and not on ProgNation.  I like Opeth a lot more than DT, so for me (personally), this show was a lot more "bang for my buck".  Wink

ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
pogoowner View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2008 at 23:09
I was at the show (and the Cleveland Progressive Nation show as well), but I haven't visited this forum in a while.

I agree with pretty much everything you said.

3 are amazing live, and I actually picked up their latest album last week due entirely to having seen them.  The studio recording doesn't capture quite the same energy, but it's still very good.

BTBAM, I really can't stand.  Yes, they're technically accomplished, but they seem to have very little feel for good melody.  I just don't enjoy listening to their music at all, and at this point in the show I was starting to get kind of annoyed with the moshers and people trying to push by and steal my spot near the stage.

Opeth were fantastic.  Mikael is a good frontman, and he's got a verg good and spontaneous sense of humor while he's up there.  I liked the setlist a lot, and I enjoyed the show greatly.  Disappointingly, I was one person too far back to touch Mikael's hand when he came by at the end.
And it might as well be raining, 'cause the sunlight hurts his eyes,
And his ears will never hear the children's cries
 Post Reply Post Reply